Premed 101 Forums

Is it possible for an IMG to enter medical school in Canada again?

Hello, I am a foreign doctor who will soon be looking to immigrate to Canada by applying to the PR. My dream has always been to practice medicine in Canada, but I know that particularly the specialty I want (General Surgery) is impossible for me being an IMG, however I do not want to give up on Canada and that is why I would like to know if it is possible to be able to repeat medical school in Canada (in my country, medical degrees are bachelor degrees, so that is my level).

9 hours ago, Nandrone said:

Hello, I am a foreign doctor who will soon be looking to immigrate to Canada by applying to the PR. My dream has always been to practice medicine in Canada, but I know that particularly the specialty I want (General Surgery) is impossible for me being an IMG, however I do not want to give up on Canada and that is why I would like to know if it is possible to be able to repeat medical school in Canada (in my country, medical degrees are bachelor degrees, so that is my level).

There is a special pathway for IMGs at McGill to receive a Canadian MD degree in 2 years instead of the standard 4. https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/categories/international-medical-graduates If you complete the two-year program, you will be able to apply to CaRMS as a CMG and hopefully have a better shot at Gen Sx. But to qualify for this 2-year program, you will need to have written and pass the MCCQE1. 

Otherwise, you are more than welcome to apply as a normal applicant to all Canadian medical schools and get your Canadian MD that way, but that will take longer than 2 years as it will be the standard 3 or 4 depending on which school you go to.