Premed 101 Forums

NAQ score dropping

Hi Everyone! I am asking for any advice and personal anecdotes about NAQ score dropping. I am a non-trad IP application. This year was my second time on waitlist. Unfortunately, when I got my scores back I did worse than last year, the only difference being that my NAQ score moved from 75th down to 50th percentile, even though I have more hours and work full time now. I am wondering if this is a combination of writing the entries differently and maybe some volunteer activities that were weighted as more valuable are older now? Did anyone have a similar experience scoring worse than previous years, and what they did to change it? Thank you :)

This seems to happen to a number of people every year. It could be that the way you rewrote your entries wasn’t as good, and the fact that some experience are older may also hurt (if they aren’t continuing). There are two other main reasons it likely happens: 1) different people scored your application this year compared to last year, and 2) the applicant pool may have been stronger, as your score is relative to everyone else who applied. There isn’t too much you can do aside from have multiple people read your entries and try to word them as strongly as possible, and to just keep living your life racking up new experiences and hope for a better result next year.