Premed 101 Forums

Should I transfer into a PhD or take the year off after I finish my MSc?

Hi everyone,

I'm most likely not going to get an interview for Canadian medical schools this year due to my CARS score (131/123/131/132) :( I'm finishing up my final year of an MSc, but I'm not sure if it's worth committing another 4 years to a PhD.. I don't like research that much and I don't see myself doing academia alongside of medicine in the future. But I am worried I may never get into med school and maybe having that PhD would help me get better job opportunities? 

I guess I'm just unsure of if I should take a break between a MSc and PhD to focus on med, or if I should transfer to a PhD and focus on med during my studies if possible?

Thank you :)

You can explore other healthcare fields in the meantime such as dentistry, optometry, allied health, etc. These probably have better employment opportunities than a generic PhD. I usually tell people that they should commit to a PhD if there is a good chance of being productive, or they know what to do what their PhD afterwards.

If you don't want to do a PhD then don't do one. Even people who are enthousiastic and passionate about their PhD research find it very hard to keep going. Since it's a minimum of 4 years, it's definetely not the best option if you don't even see yourself in academia in the future. As mentionned above, exploring other healthcare professions might be more rewarding both for re-applying to medicine and as an alternative career.

On 9/18/2022 at 3:10 PM, Elgar said:

Even people who are enthousiastic and passionate about their PhD research find it very hard to keep going. 

This 100%.

Also keep in mind that it usually take more than 4 years to finish a PhD as there is a lot of incertainty, experiments or analyses might not work as planned, etc.