Premed 101 Forums

Chances me plz

• Bigboy changed the title to Chances me plz

First of all, your GPA is very competitive and is right on the average/median of accepted applicants which was average of 88%. But of course your MCAT is not as best with 498, while the average/median of accepted applicants is around 509. But it is still possible to receive on interview and be accepted because the range of accepted applicant MCAT score last year was 494-526, so I wouldn't give up hope. However this year there are other factors including panel interview, personal statement, and Saskatchewan connectedness.

Also your score for MCAT must be equal or above in each score: BBFL 123; CARS 122; CPBS 123; PSBB 123, or you will be removed as applicant.

For Saskatchewan connectedness and personal statement, I would say that those who lived in Saskatchewan for 15 years, graduated from Saskatchewan high school, came from Saskatchewan rural area would have higher priority of receiving interview, than those who did not. This is because the admission committee is addressing issue of too many UofS med graduates not matching Saskatchewan and leaving the province to match somewhere else (50% do not match Saskatchewan and leave). Too many applicants/graduates are from nearby provinces especially BC, Alberta, and Ontario. Saskatchewan Medical School's purpose is to train Saskatchewan doctors, not doctors for other provinces.

Therefore if you have strong connectedness to Saskatchewan, beside your residency time during university here, that is also a large factor in selection for interview. 

However, its only an MCAT, and it only takes 1 more year cycle to rewrite the MCAT exam, but 3-4 years to redo a degree. So don't feel all too worried and hopefully this addresses some of your concerns.