Premed 101 Forums

Any success stories of those who had a GPA in the 80-84.99% range for UBC Med?

My current aGPA is 84% and my most recent MCAT is 511. I was able to fill out every spot on the extracurricular section where my experience included numerous research positions in both healthcare and wet labs, working with a diverse population of patients in a research/clinical setting, community leadership at my university, my non-profit organization, and unique activities and sports. Hoping to hear the stories of others who were in a similar position as me and admitted. 

• 3 months later...

Based on the statistics provided by UBC you're sitting below average on the academics. At minimum you need stellar NAQ's (think years of commitments and jobs) and an above average interview to likely get in. Many people fill all the entries. Your only other option is an MCAT rewrite to put you above average in that category. Keep the grind up, people have gotten in with less, but no one can tell you what's best for your situation.

Yes, I was successful with a GPA probably slightly lower than yours, although I did have a strong MCAT. Ultimately, none of us are on the admissions committee, so don't take harsh feedback too seriously, and understand that this is not as fair of a system as one would hope. For example, GPAs are completely dependent on the philosophy taken by specific professors and programs on what a 90%+ grade "means". The admissions statistics are your best opportunity to understand your overall ranking academically, but without being disqualified, this doesn't really impact how you should apply - with full knowledge of your own strengths, and the value proposition you are creating about why you would be a good doctor. Beyond this, learning to logically engage with different arguments and questions will help you when you get an interview. I am biased, but I believe that reading and writing are great skills to work on. TLDR; work on what you can, try not to k hole into neurotic thinking about everyone else. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2022 at 9:15 AM, 5-hydroxytryptamine said:

My current aGPA is 84% and my most recent MCAT is 511. I was able to fill out every spot on the extracurricular section where my experience included numerous research positions in both healthcare and wet labs, working with a diverse population of patients in a research/clinical setting, community leadership at my university, my non-profit organization, and unique activities and sports. Hoping to hear the stories of others who were in a similar position as me and admitted. 

Not sure how the extracurriculars work because to be honest they would look very similar or identical for almost everyone who filled them out with sports, volunteering, lab research, student leadership, etc., in the early-mid 20s demographic, especially if their whole time was in university as a student. Most science undergrad pre-meds tend to do the same sort of things. My point is many won't be unique across students. Looks like GPA is half and the extracurriculars/employment is the other half for interview screening. I suspect only full-time employment experience would truly differentiate applicants, aside from GPA.

The University of British Columbia - Faculty of Medicine
Statistical Data on Admissions - 2021
Table 6
CATEGORY 2019 2020 2021
90.00 - 100% (A+) 88 (31%) 98 (34%) 107 (37%)
85.00 - 89.99% (A) 135 (47%) 136 (47%) 133 (46%)
80.00 - 84.99% (A-) 56 (19%) 52 (18%) 40 (14%)
75.00 - 79.99% (B+) 6 (2%) 2 (1%) 5 (2%)
70.00 - 74.99% (B) 3 (1%) 0 (0%) 3 (1%)

https://med-fom-ugrad.sites.olt.ubc.ca/files/2021/11/FINAL-MED-2025-Admissions-Statistics-Website.pdf

Qualified applicants received an academic file review, which included: review of English prerequisites, calculation of the overall average (OGPA), derived from all university-level transferrable courses and the removal, when applicable, of credits from the lowest academic year to give an adjusted academic average (AGPA).

*BC applicants with an overall/adjusted academic average of less than 75% and out-of-province applicants with an overall/adjusted academic average of less than 85% did not receive full file reviews and thus did not proceed further through the application process.

** Disqualified applicants include those with: missing document(s) and/or fees, below 70% OGPA/AGPA, missing/ineligible MCAT, and applicants unable to complete English pre-requisite and/or graduate requirements.

The non-academic file review consisted of an evaluation of the extra-curricular activities (including awards, research and publications, where applicable) and employment history listed by applicants. The outcomes of the academic and non-academic file review were equally weighted, and combined to generate a pre-interview result. Both the academic and non-academic scores were standardized against the current applicant pool.

https://med-fom-ugrad.sites.olt.ubc.ca/files/2022/12/Interim-Stats-2022-2023.pdf