Premed 101 Forums

Petition UOttawa to be more holisitc and allow unstructured activities in their admissions assessment

Hey guys,

UOttawa is one of the only Canadian medical schools that strictly prohibits unstructured activities -- I am petitioning UOttawa to allow the inclusion of unstructured activities for a holistic assessments like other medical schools.

I could use the community's support -- please take a moment to sign the petition if you agree!
https://www.change.org/p/urge-uottawa-medicine-admissions-to-value-diversity-of-experience

Yes, and lets urge other school's to allow us to apply without the MCAT since uOttawa doesn't require it and it's a socioeconomic/financial barrier...

Seriously, don't waste your time with this petition, it's completely useless. Each school has a distinct method of assessment and selection (e.g., mac doesn't even look at the ABS, so no holistic assessment); how would you know uOttawa isn't enforcing diversity of experience at the interview stage rather at the preinterview stage? As someone who's interviewed at uOttawa, I can tell you that you have the chance to talk about these experiences.

Do well on the casper and have a strong gpa, and you'll get the chance to showcase your experiences. Don't be creating petitions to force adcoms to consider your personal situation, and asking others to join in on it. 

On 10/8/2022 at 2:04 PM, MedicineLCS said:

6w8all.jpg

Seriously, trying to get a med school to change their admissions criteria while applying to said medical school is... an interesting approach. You're also assuming uOttawa actually bothers reading the ABS at all pre-interview (spoiler; a lot of people think they don't...). 

I think thats 100% why - since we dont know the process - I want to nudge admissions so that next year (for future applicants) the process is slightly more open and equitable