Premed 101 Forums

MCAT 508 - Canadian/American Citizen

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance for hearing me out and answering my questions!

So, here is what the situation looks like: I was born in the US (and as such am an American citizen) but my parents moved to Canada about a year and a half later (where I became a Canadian citizen). This week, I submitted applications to Canadian medical schools but I'm so discouraged because of my MCAT score (508 - 127/124/130/127). At this point, I'm debating applying to schools in the states for next cycle. Because of this, I have a few questions:

1. Will I just be considered an out-of-state applicant to all schools (because I don't currently reside in the US)?

2. Should I consider retaking the MCAT?

3. What schools should I apply to with my score and status?

4. Any other tips?

For reference, here is some more info:

GPA: 3.96 (this is a Canadian GPA - not sure how it would translate to US med schools)

EC's: 1000's of hours in various unique experiences ( ex: founded an initiative for children with an eye condition called Amblyopia)

Research: community-based research (potential publication) as well as lab-based research

Clinical: been working at an optometry clinic for nearly a year

NOTE: I would like to apply to MD schools only because DO's are not recognized in Canada!

Thank you!!!

10 hours ago, Anonymous101 said:

Will I just be considered an out-of-state applicant to all schools (because I don't currently reside in the US)?

Generally yes, although each school considers "in state" differently, so I would look to see what the schools in your home state consider to be "in state" and regardless on applications you can emphasize ties to states you lived in/have family/connections to, etc.

1. Should I consider retaking the MCAT?

I think you should consider it. You have a great GPA, but a better MCAT will open more doors, as you're below average for US matriculants. Note that US schools sometimes do funky things with multiple MCATs like averaging them so only repeat if you think you can do better.

What schools should I apply to with my score and status?

Invest in the MSAR, it's totally worth it. You're a US applicant so the general recommendations here for Canadian applicants don't apply. The MSAR will help, otherwise studentdoctor/r3ddit probably has more contemporary recommendations for US applicants.

NOTE: I would like to apply to MD schools only because DO's are not recognized in Canada!

I would not discount DO schools so easily. Again, you're American applicant so DO will be on par for MD for US residency, and both USMD and USDO will be "IMG" for Canadian residency by the time you are applying (although I think USMD might give an advantage). So I would def not rule out the DO route if MD isn't happening.