Premed 101 Forums

High scoring Best Undergraduate degree for Medical school

Harry259

Hi,

I am a grade 12 student in Ontario. I wish to pursue Medicine after university.

I have learnt that a high GPA is very important for Med School admissions.

I am good at Biology/Chemistry/Physics& Mathematics…..

Please suggest Undergraduate programs and universities in Ontario ( or elsewhere) where it is easier to get High GPA and research opportunities.

Any and all Advice is welcome 

Thanks

Welcome to the Forum! :P

There is no simple formula to attaining high grades. There is no one program to take with a guarantee of high grades.

High grades are a function of discipline, focus, time & stress management skills, studying hard and efficiently in a manner that works for you, having no distractions, not dating an individual too needy who will derail your ambitions and making mature, strategic decisions. And most importantly, taking a program where you are highly motivated as you should do better when motivated highly.

Also, I would avoid universities like U of Toronto where high grades are difficult to attain. Consider York, Acadia where the student to prof ratio is low.

I studied kin, was always studying, exhausted at the end of each semester, I had a supportive s.o. whom I only saw for a few short hours on Saturday nights for many years. I became a straight A student, got into medicine and am a surgeon today. It was an exhausting marathon for longer than a decade. 

33 minutes ago, Bambi said:

There is no simple formula to attaining high grades. There is no one program to take with a guarantee of high grades.

High grades are a function of discipline, focus, time & stress management skills, studying hard and efficiently in a manner that works for you, having no distractions, not dating an individual too needy who will derail your ambitions and making mature, strategic decisions. And most importantly, taking a program where you are highly motivated as you should do better when motivated highly.

Also, I would avoid universities like U of Toronto where high grades are difficult to attain. Consider York, Acadia where the student to prof ratio is low.

I studied kin, was always studying, exhausted at the end of each semester, I had a supportive s.o. whom I only saw for a few short hours on Saturday nights for many years. I became a straight A student, got into medicine and am a surgeon today. It was an exhausting marathon for longer than a decade. 

I totally agree about the Hard work, discipline, focus.... That all is understood

Any suggestions for Universities/programs to avoid....

Avoiding bigger places like UoT makes sense.....any other suggestions about programs

Look at https://www2.acadiau.ca/prg_ug_kine.html

Kin sounds easier than it is! Hard work is required for top competitive grades. Acadia is off the beaten track, small classes, greater access to professors. I know students who went to U/T and Ryerson, they were distracted by Toronto and did not do as well as they were capable of. This is my strong recommendation, otherwise, B.Sc. in what interests you at Acadia. Kin gives you a Plan B and prepares you for med. You need to hit the ground running in 1st year notwithstanding the transition. Your focus must be on your academics from the first day.

Mac Health Sci if you get in. This is a no brainer. 

Other than that, here is my sleeper pick: Trent University Biology Program.

The people I know at Trent are all dumber than the people I know at Mac or UofT life sci, or Western Med Sci (landing zones for health sci rejects), and yet they have higher or equally as high GPAs.

Trent is easy to get a high GPA. You CRUISE to a 3.9-4.0 GPA as long as you are somewhat smart. This is because most of the people at Trent have really low averages in high school, and yet if you look at the average grade in a first year Trent class, they'll be the same as the average grade in a first year class at U of T. This means, that a dumber student, will get higher grades at Trent, then at UofT. Shocker, I know.

Downsides:

-If you want medical or clinical research, this place is bad, as it has no medical school. Lots of very fun biology research though! However, if you score a high GPA you have good odds of getting accepted to some clinical Summer research positions if you apply widely (that's when most people research anyways).

-If you care about reputation, in a vain way, Trent doesn't have a good rep. This is because it's an undergrad uni w no grad schools. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/11/2022 at 9:49 AM, Bambi said:

are you single