Premed 101 Forums

The McGill MMI is ruining my life :(

heydoc

Hey everyone,

First of all I wanna say a huge thank you to the members here for being so supportive and going out of their way to help me prep for these interviews. You all know who you are, and it's much appreciated :D 

I just wanted to share a little bit about my background and journey to getting accepted into McGill's MDCM in case it helps anyone. Life had its ups and downs like it usually does and I found that medicine is truly my dream a bit later than most. I'm an older applicant (mid 30s) and I have applied 3 times, gotten the interview twice, and got waitlisted post interview both times. This time around I was ONE spot away from getting in before the waitlist closed. I just wanted to say I really did everything I could to prepare, practiced with med students and profs, tried being myself and showing who I really am, etc. This process is truly exhausting, and I'm incredibly dejected and demotivated by it. The first time around I had ideas as to what I could do to improve and I had tangible feedback I could implement. The second time around...I really was just myself and went with the flow of all the stations like I did a million times with others when practicing. I thought it went really well the second time around and I would be hard pressed to tweak anything in retrospect. Didn't bomb any stations, didn't say anything I didn't mean to say...I was just a human being trying to connect with the human side of everyone I interacted with. I really don't know what to do at this point and it's weighing heavily on my mind. Just wanted to get this off my mind, and in case there's anyone out there who's been in a similar place as myself - let's carry each other forward and not give up. This is an incredibly difficult process and I commend you all for persevering, whether or not you get in. Just know that this doesn't define you, and if you want to chat about it or practice for the upcoming MMI feel free to reach out. Bless! :wub:

On 10/21/2022 at 8:45 PM, heydoc said:

Hey everyone,

First of all I wanna say a huge thank you to the members here for being so supportive and going out of their way to help me prep for these interviews. You all know who you are, and it's much appreciated :D 

I just wanted to share a little bit about my background and journey to getting accepted into McGill's MDCM in case it helps anyone. Life had its ups and downs like it usually does and I found that medicine is truly my dream a bit later than most. I'm an older applicant (mid 30s) and I have applied 3 times, gotten the interview twice, and got waitlisted post interview both times. This time around I was ONE spot away from getting in before the waitlist closed. I just wanted to say I really did everything I could to prepare, practiced with med students and profs, tried being myself and showing who I really am, etc. This process is truly exhausting, and I'm incredibly dejected and demotivated by it. The first time around I had ideas as to what I could do to improve and I had tangible feedback I could implement. The second time around...I really was just myself and went with the flow of all the stations like I did a million times with others when practicing. I thought it went really well the second time around and I would be hard pressed to tweak anything in retrospect. Didn't bomb any stations, didn't say anything I didn't mean to say...I was just a human being trying to connect with the human side of everyone I interacted with. I really don't know what to do at this point and it's weighing heavily on my mind. Just wanted to get this off my mind, and in case there's anyone out there who's been in a similar place as myself - let's carry each other forward and not give up. This is an incredibly difficult process and I commend you all for persevering, whether or not you get in. Just know that this doesn't define you, and if you want to chat about it or practice for the upcoming MMI feel free to reach out. Bless! :wub:

I admire your perseverance and the patience you have demonstrated.
You haven't failed, I hope you know that.
You got 2 interviews and your waitlist rank improved.
You are almost there, you were basically one spot away.
Don't question everything because things did not work out.
There are a lot of factors but luck plays a big role in the process.
For every applicant that gets in, there are 10 that are as talented and qualified.
At this point, just trust yourself and focus on your well being and mental health.
Medicine is truly a marathon, not a race.
It starts with getting into medicine, but you will eventually feel the same about residency, fellowship, practice, grants and everything else.
It never ends.
When I was in your shoes, what helped me, although it was difficult, was to assume that I would not get in and ask myself : what would make me happy?
What will you do if you don't get into medicine?
What drives you?
Life goes on, with or without medicine.
Don't tie your happiness and life satisfaction to that single possibility.
Try to find something that drives you and makes you happy.
If medicine works, you will have two passions.
If it doesn't, your life will be equally fullfilled by something meaningful to you.
If it's truly what you want, you will get there.

Best of luck !

I approve all of the above by @HoopDreams

After my first interview at McGill I was directly rejected, and I was 4 spots away to get in at UdeM that same year. I wasn't sure I was going to reapply since I had been wailisted/rejected a few times before at French schools, but my friends counselled me to reapply one last time because, you know, 4 spots away. I spent that year doing a serious plan B, and went in the interview not caring as much and I got straight in. I'm not sure what was different that time, as I personnally thought my performance wasn't great at the interview... maybe caring less, having more experience at MMIs and a bit of pure luck went into play. 

I wish you the best!