Premed 101 Forums

Seeking some helpful insight

bvb100

Hello all,

Background: I am an IMG with internal medicine training at a University institution in the US. I returned to Canada for a fellowship (2 years). Unfortunately, due to some regrettable events (completely my fault), I was terminated from the fellowship program with 6 months left in training. 

Fortunately, I passed my Royal College IM boards and would technically have completed 4 years in IM training.

My question is, how tough would it be to pursue and establish a practice as a 4 year GIM in Canada given my background. I did not have any similar issues during medical school as well as my residency training (ie no red flags). While I take responsibility for the things that happened during fellowship, I am extremely concerned that I will never get to practice at all. I did apply for independent practice in my home province which is currently in review. 

I guess I am also asking this question to know if I ruined my career beyond repair before I even got a chance to practice independently. Any insight is much appreciated.

2 hours ago, bvb100 said:

Hello all,

Background: I am an IMG with internal medicine training at a University institution in the US. I returned to Canada for a fellowship (2 years). Unfortunately, due to some regrettable events (completely my fault), I was terminated from the fellowship program with 6 months left in training. 

Fortunately, I passed my Royal College IM boards and would technically have completed 4 years in IM training.

My question is, how tough would it be to pursue and establish a practice as a 4 year GIM in Canada given my background. I did not have any similar issues during medical school as well as my residency training (ie no red flags). While I take responsibility for the things that happened during fellowship, I am extremely concerned that I will never get to practice at all. I did apply for independent practice in my home province which is currently in review. 

I guess I am also asking this question to know if I ruined my career beyond repair before I even got a chance to practice independently. Any insight is much appreciated.

We are all human.
We all make mistakes.
Your honesty is the first step towards learning from it.
Your main concern would be to see if your actions have impacted your ability to have a license from your provincal body.
Physicians, just like anyone else, can abuse substances, drive under influence and have moments where their judgement is impaired.
These events do not define you as a person.
You could look into the following routes :

• Are you able to complete a fellowship elsewhere and start over?
  • Are you willing to practice medicine in the US?

Best of luck :)

If the "incident" does not affect your licensing (eg. no criminal conviction, reportable substance abuse etc), then you are fully licensed and good to go with 4 year IM. My friend is doing GIM in community after 4 years and he's having a blast, makes tons of money doing all kinds of things and having a lot more freedom than in academic centers.

Actually my area is in need of GIM at the moment, we are short of hospitalist and begging FM to cover hospitalist shifts. If you want to come work here give me a message. The GIM here bills anywhere from 400K to 600K!