Premed 101 Forums

Help for choosing a dental school

Hello everyone,

I am currently an independent student at Concordia University. A little bit on my background. I did Social Sciences at a french CEGEP .Later on, I decided to switch for Health Sciences since I started to have an great  interest in dentistry, but did not have the high school math prerequisites (TS4/TS5) to be able to do so.  Therefore, I decided to make the switch at the university-level and here I am currently taking bio/chem/phys/math courses.

I wll be starting my undergraduate degree next year and I have three dental schools on my list: McGill, UdeM and UofT.

One thing that worries me a looooot  is my CEGEP  background and independent student situation. The McGill DMD program requires either a 120-credit undergraduate degree for OOP or a 90-credit undergraduate degree with DEC for IP (I'm IP).Other than that, I am good for UdeM since in very special cases like mine they dont require a DEC but they do want the completion of science prerequisite courses+undergraduate degree and UofT requires a undergraduate degree and other prereqs biochem,physiology,life sciences, humanities/social sciences taken at university-level.

McGill responded me with a very vague email regarding my situation :confused:.So I was wondering if anyone here was in a similar situation and was eventually able to gain acceptance into dental school with no  DEC but with a Bachelors degree.

While it is possible to be accepted into dental school without a DEC, having a bachelor's degree may improve your chances of acceptance. Dental schools consider GPA, letters of recommendation, and extracurricular activities. You must highlight and showcase relevant experience or skills in your application materials. Ultimately, each dental school has a unique admission process and acceptance criteria. It is best to research and reach out to specific dental schools to inquire about their requirements and evaluate your potential for acceptance.

Orlando Smith

Smith Orthodontics