Premed 101 Forums

Part-time residency

Can't remember where I heard this (could be province or university specific) but it was explicitly stated that there was no time limit for residency itself in terms of completion. Essentially it was an area no one ever bothered making a policy for because they assumed people want to finish ASAP. However, I don't know about residency funding itself.

MS3 so take with a grain of salt but I can't imagine a PD would appreciate someone signaling they want to extend residency pre-match though. 

3 hours ago, Dodo said:

Does anyone know if it's possible to do a part-time residency? Would it be possible to do a family medicine residency in 4 years instead of 2 for example?

Anecdotally I have heard of part-time residents

A google search shows that it is possible, but it's not a standard policy - only available on a case by case basis

https://cou.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Part-Time-Residency-Training-Guideline-October-2017.pdf

"While in most instances residency training programs will be full-time, a part-time residency program may be necessary or desirable to accommodate family or personal responsibilities, illness, or disability. It is further understood that residents need to take responsibility for completing their residency training program in a reasonable length of time.

Logistical considerations that must be considered prior to the establishment of a part-time residency programs include:

• Scheduling problems for rotations,

• Incomplete or inconsistent educational experiences,

• Lack of peer group support,

• Devolved responsibility to others in the training program,

• Service needs not met,

• Financial implications,

• Lack of commitment of learner, or

• Loss of appreciation of continuity of disease process."

4 hours ago, Dodo said:

Does anyone know if it's possible to do a part-time residency? Would it be possible to do a family medicine residency in 4 years instead of 2 for example?

People do take time off during residency and have it take longer than 2 years. I have heard of at least one former resident in my program (FM) who did time on and then time off on a regular schedule and extended their residency by close to a year. And many people take leaves of varying length. In all these cases the leaves are typically unpaid.

I have also heard of the rarer situation where residents for a short period of time got permission to work fewer than 5-days a week - this was typically on services likes family medicine where it’s quite easy to just extend the number of weeks on service. I have never encountered a resident who was entirely part-time.