Premed 101 Forums

Switching from FM to IM

Hello,

I am currently a PGY-1 in FM and I find myself so unhappy about it. When I was in med school, I was considering IM, but somehow changed my mind afterwards and rank FM first. I now regret it a lot, as I do not enjoy office work and really miss the complexity of internal medicine. I would like to switch, and was wondering if any of you has ever been through the process. Is it as difficult as it seems to be ? Do I have to apply through CARMS again ?

Thanks !

17 hours ago, fam_med_resident said:

Hello,

I am currently a PGY-1 in FM and I find myself so unhappy about it. When I was in med school, I was considering IM, but somehow changed my mind afterwards and rank FM first. I now regret it a lot, as I do not enjoy office work and really miss the complexity of internal medicine. I would like to switch, and was wondering if any of you has ever been through the process. Is it as difficult as it seems to be ? Do I have to apply through CARMS again ?

Thanks !

search "transfer" there are quite a few threads on this. Briefly there are 3 options:  you approach your IM program about the possibility of transfer and they work it out between your programs and you transfer into IM at your current school (easiest approach if possible), you approach your PGME about transfer and they put you on the list for potential transfer to another school's IM program (this is pretty rare), or you apply to any 2nd round empty IM spots in carms this year (few and highly compeditive since you're competing with unmatched and IMGs)