Premed 101 Forums

radiology moonlighting

Are there any moonlighting opportunities for radiology residents in Canada?  I was recently at a conference in the US and learned US programs often have moonlighting in their programs.  This includes overnight prelims and being onsite at outpatient CT scanners so IV contrast can be administered after hours.

Would really love to supplement my income, but haven't really heard of Canadian opportunities.

I know in some places Rad Onc residents will also cover cancer wards.  I have heard of rumour/fables of some rural radiology electives in eastern Canada where you get paid decent money as a 5th year, but have not been able to confirm.  Was just curious what others knew.  I'm with you though, I doubt there is any real option to increase income as a rads resident during residency.

2 hours ago, mtbdoc said:

I know in some places Rad Onc residents will also cover cancer wards.  I have heard of rumour/fables of some rural radiology electives in eastern Canada where you get paid decent money as a 5th year, but have not been able to confirm.  Was just curious what others knew.  I'm with you though, I doubt there is any real option to increase income as a rads resident during residency.

I actually knew a resident who did this back when I was a medical student. He was able to double his resident salary. I think he was a 4th year. I can't imagine he was doing it as a 5th year with the looming royal college. This is at least 4 years ago though so not sure if anything has changed. 

On 11/26/2022 at 9:35 AM, hero147 said:

I actually knew a resident who did this back when I was a medical student. He was able to double his resident salary. I think he was a 4th year. I can't imagine he was doing it as a 5th year with the looming royal college. This is at least 4 years ago though so not sure if anything has changed. 

What school was this at?

Rather rare to say the least - in part because you home school would have to know about it/approve it and there isn't much incentive for them to do that really. 

There are a lot more opportunities as a fellow. Once you hit staff you seemly will have access (at present) to an infinite amount of work - which requires self regulation ha. I mean I literally can work every minute of every day outside of time spent on "basic life support". 

46 minutes ago, rmorelan said:

Rather rare to say the least - in part because you home school would have to know about it/approve it and there isn't much incentive for them to do that really. 

There are a lot more opportunities as a fellow. Once you hit staff you seemly will have access (at present) to an infinite amount of work - which requires self regulation ha. I mean I literally can work every minute of every day outside of time spent on "basic life support". 

But I'm broke now haha.

On 11/18/2022 at 5:35 PM, mtbdoc said:

Are there any moonlighting opportunities for radiology residents in Canada?  I was recently at a conference in the US and learned US programs often have moonlighting in their programs.  This includes overnight prelims and being onsite at outpatient CT scanners so IV contrast can be administered after hours.

Would really love to supplement my income, but haven't really heard of Canadian opportunities.

Within at least one school you can offer to take "contrast call" shifts, where you hang out in whichever hospital needs it, from 5-11pm and get paid by the hour.  Not a bad gig given that it's often quiet and you're being paid to study, essentially.