Premed 101 Forums

General Surgery Clinical Performance

So I got a really good evaluation on my first rotation. But as I am in my second rotation (surgery), I am finding the written evaluation doesn't comment at all on my knowledge or history/physical exam skills. I have received very brief comments such as for one selective all I got was "enjoyed working with chilli". Although I am grateful that I received a positive comment, I can't help but think that I should be doing more especially since I am interested in surgery. I still have general surgery left. What can I do to improve my clinical performance?

If you're genuinely interested in surgery for residency, I would speak to the staffs/residents you're with and let them know. A lot of the time, if they're aware of your genuine interest, they'll pay more attention to you, give you more OR opportunities etc, and care about your MSPR eval.

Don't be afraid to ask for feedback throughout your rotation! It's always a good time to speak to staff to ask for areas to improve on.

I was a very direct student lol so I would legit tell staff "you commented on my knowledge in this clinic, could you please include that when you write up my evaluation please".

At the end of the day, i think as students we think that our MSPR comments count more that we think. Most of the time, programs use MSPRs to rule out people based on red flags, so I wouldn't sweat it so much!