Premed 101 Forums

Chances

cc11

Hi! 

So last year I got my ranking and landed on 43X spot out of 1139. I was starting my master, most of my experiences were short-term (around 4-5 months) and got 4th on my casper exam. My gpa is still the same as last year but maybe my academic context changed since I'm 2 years in my graduate degree (maybe it doesn't work that way, let me know if I'm wrong). I have more long term work experience and change my cv's description quite a lot comparing to last year. Also my casper score dropped to 3 this year. 

Basically is it possible to move up that much in one year? Do you know anyone who had a similar situation to mine and was able to land an interview spot?

Thanks a lot

2 hours ago, DestroRed said:

Hello ! It depends also on your GPA (if you are willing to share it). Plus there are new applicants each year, so there is a randomized factor that can play as well (this year might be weaker or way stronger than last year in terms of applicants)!

Thanks for the reply. Of course, my gpa is 3.85/4.0 (4.0/4.3) because of the winter exclusion. I don't know if McGill care or not but I have an upward trend (4.2-4.3 my last two years). 

Honestly you have your chances ! If you had a 4th quartile, your chances would have been even higher, but you’re still in the race ! Your academic context will get a boost since you now have graduate classes completed. Found it strange that you got in the 400s last year when certain people with a lower GPA and just an undergrad completed were able to land an interview. Probably now with a better CV you’ll rank way higher (in case the current applicant cohort is relatively the same as last year)!

11 hours ago, DestroRed said:

Honestly you have your chances ! If you had a 4th quartile, your chances would have been even higher, but you’re still in the race ! Your academic context will get a boost since you now have graduate classes completed. Found it strange that you got in the 400s last year when certain people with a lower GPA and just an undergrad completed were able to land an interview. Probably now with a better CV you’ll rank way higher (in case the current applicant cohort is relatively the same as last year)!

I don't have a professional degree so maybe that's why. Also, I think the entries on my CV were too "corporate" and might explain why I got in the 400s. Hopefully I'll rank higher this year. Are you also applying to McGill?