Premed 101 Forums

John Abott or Vanier College to go to McGill Pre med?

John Abbott or Vanier college to go to McGill premed?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Is John Abbott or Vanier college better to go to McGill premed?

• John Abbott
    • Vanier

I think it mostly depends on which is closer to your home (think of the time youll spend doing the trip between home and school every day). If one is way closer to your house, I'd prioritize this one (unless you truly prefer the other)

I know people going to both Vanier and jac, and they all seem to enjoy their respective cégep. To me, jac has a better campus and seems to have better class choices (but I guess that doesn't really matter if you're premed cause you're gonna have to take the same bio and orgo classes either way). Vanier is closer to the metro, so better access to the centre ville etc. 

The overall r score average is around the same for both cégep (you can check that on the bci website). It really depends on where you think you will perform better (think of what matters most to you in term of campus, student life, location, program -> go to the open houses), cause you will probably perform better at a cegep where you feel comfortable. If you want to go to mcgill you also need to think about your cv (it's worth 10% of admission) -> an extracurricular, relevant job or volunteering, etc.

I am considering Dawson as well, but since it isn't part of the SRAM, I can also apply to another college as well. Since I don't know where I'll get accepted, I want to be on the safe side and apply to more than one. John Abott and Vanier are both part of the SRAM, so I can only apply to one, I'm trying to decide on which.

Also, I have never heard of the bci website you refer to, I tried looking it up and am not sure I'm on the right track. I'm guessing it's the Bureau de coopération universitaire, but I can't find how to check the overall R-score average.

Thanks a lot for your help, I really appreciate it

https://www.bci-qc.ca/cote-r/

Yes its the bureau de coopération universitaire! That's the website. Just look for the document called La CRC révisée et l'admission universitaire des sortants des collèges québecois (page 35). The stats are kinda old (2019) but it can give you a general idea (not sure if there's another document with updated statistics, I haven't looked). 

• 3 weeks later...

I studied at JAC, and to be honest where you go to CEGEP doesn't really matter. I didn't apply to MedP back then since I didn't think medicine was for me, but here are some key points I learned, and it should apply for whichever one you decide to go to:

1. Pick somewhere you will enjoy going. If you have to take the bus/train/metro for over an hour just to get to school, consider the other option. Unless you are superhuman, you will wasting hours of your time sitting in a bus, while not being to able to sleep/study properly. If you have friends going to either school, you might want to go with them as you won't be alone in your first semester. 
  2. It's not very hard to get a decent R-score (37+) in your science classes if you can get grades in the mid-90s. You have to watch out for which complementary and GenEd classes to pick, as even with a 100, you can end up with a 28.0 if the class average is too high. My main R-score killers were English (30.5 avg) and my complementary German I class (26.0). 
  3. Don't be afraid to use the drop/add weekend, it's probably the one thing that saved my ass the most. If during the first week you realize that your teacher sucks, try and switch into another section.
  4. Do intersessions if you can. Getting rid of those annoying English classes is really nice, as long as you are willing to sacrifice a bit of your winter break.
  5. If you can get into the honours program for either schools, do it! Being around people that want good grades does wonders to your motivation. 
  6. Take classes with friends/people you work well with. You can motivate each other to perform well in the class, and it's really nice not having to work with the random guy in your lab section.
  7. Always talk to the teacher after class. If you have questions/concerns about ANYTHING, go talk to the teacher. Bad quiz grade? They might be able to bring it up a few points. Didn't understand something? They'll be happy to explain it again. Slept through your alarm and didn't make it to the lab? They'll try their best to fit you in another section. Your dog died? They might let you take that big test another day.
  8. Join some clubs and meet people, and go have some fun! Aim for good grades but don't make your entire 2 years in CEGEP about trying to get into MedP, because you will be horribly miserable if you neglect your personal health and social life for a few extra points.

• 1 month later...