Premed 101 Forums

Subspecialty match apply again?

1 hour ago, Organic Chemistry said:

Hello,

Just wondering if someone in GIM or for example endo becomes interested in cardio after practicing for a few years, can they apply to the match again? Or are they technically stuck in their specialty?

Thanks!

For all intensive purposes you are "stuck" in your specialty for CARMS 2.0 for IM. That being said if you truly don't like your sub-specialty and are fine with GIM you can just finish your training and do GIM and not your sub-specialty ever.

There are a couple of ways to do training in other subspecialities once you are doing your done training in your initial specialty (whether it be GIM, Endo, cardio or whatever).

1. Train outside Canada for that subspecialty (i.e. and most commonly the U.S., you still have to go through the US match and meet their requirements), theoretically you can do training anywhere in the world for that subspecialty

2. Go through a "re-entry" program (each province has a different type). In ON, you have to have been in practice for at least 2 years, and then apply, and even then its not guaranteed, as the spots are outside the match and programs can only accommodate you if they have the funding available

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2023 at 1:25 PM, Organic Chemistry said:

Hello,

Just wondering if someone in GIM or for example endo becomes interested in cardio after practicing for a few years, can they apply to the match again? Or are they technically stuck in their specialty?

Thanks!

The only specialty you can re-enter the CaRMS MSM match for after completing a medical subspecialty is critical care to my knowledge. This is of course without contemplating the routes that ACHQ is describing above.

2 hours ago, ameltingbanana said:

The only specialty you can re-enter the CaRMS MSM match for after completing a medical subspecialty is critical care to my knowledge. This is of course without contemplating the routes that ACHQ is describing above.

Yes this is also true, but even then you have to be in residency to apply to the match (i.e. final year of cardio, resp, ID, whatever). Once you finish your subspecialty you cannot enter the MSM match even for CCM/ICU

17 minutes ago, ACHQ said:

Yes this is also true, but even then you have to be in residency to apply to the match (i.e. final year of cardio, resp, ID, whatever). Once you finish your subspecialty you cannot enter the MSM match even for CCM/ICU

This is a very good point and one I should have clarified - yeah, you need to know you're applying to ICU and apply in the fall of your last year of fellowship.