Premed 101 Forums

Keeping BC IP Status whilst doing undergrad in another province

Hello, I am a grade 12 B.C high school student aiming to study in Alberta and gain the IP advantage for UofC and UofA med schools this way. 

I am really really confused on if I can retain my bc ip status while living in Alberta. I know that currently ubc med wants you to have a valid bc services card. What exactly does a services card mean? A care card? A bc ID? Or is a separate card? 

Can this even be done? (Retaining the BC Services Card)

I've heard also that you need to make your home in BC. How does that work?

Also that you need to be eligible for MSP coverage. Does anyone know if you can be eligible if you are studying in another province? 

Any advice/insight on this would be much appreciated as it is a deciding factor on where I choose to do my undergrad. Thank you! 

I did the same thing. The important thing to keep in mind is that UBC, UofA, UofC, and the BC/AB gov all have different definitions of being a resident/IP. For UBC just hold on to your BC services card (=care card/MSP coverage). By being a student studying in another province you can keep the BC services card while in AB (so according to BC gov/UBC you are still “making your home” in BC). For UofA I believe you need to have resided in Alberta the past 12mo before applying, and for UofC resided in AB the last 24mo before applying. This means you need to stay there in the summers. A few people I know just did summer research to satisfy this. This way you can satisfy IP requirements for all 3 schools. Hope that helps :)

PS if you want to be a true maverick top gunner you could look at going to university in Whitehorse, Yukon and get IP status at UBC, UA, UC, UManitoba AND USaskatchewan… ;)