Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest UTMed07

On 5/14/2018 at 10:51 PM, 3med said:

Rejected 

GPA: 3.74ish 

Extracurriculars: club president and other club executive positions, lots of hospital volunteering, volunteered in rural areas. 

Research: 2 second author, 1 3rd author pub in review. Dabbled in clinical research as well. 

MCAT: 127,127,128,128

Essays: pretty strong - very heart felt 

Interview: honestly no idea 

education level: completing MSc. 

Depressed from the results. 2nd time being rejected post-interview and I have no idea how to improve. If it's the GPA I don't know why they

bother to interview me. 

dont give up! i believe in you

On 5/15/2018 at 12:51 AM, 3med said:

Rejected 

GPA: 3.74ish 

Extracurriculars: club president and other club executive positions, lots of hospital volunteering, volunteered in rural areas. 

Research: 2 second author, 1 3rd author pub in review. Dabbled in clinical research as well. 

MCAT: 127,127,128,128

Essays: pretty strong - very heart felt 

Interview: honestly no idea 

education level: completing MSc. 

Depressed from the results. 2nd time being rejected post-interview and I have no idea how to improve. If it's the GPA I don't know why they

bother to interview me. 

Kinda in the same boat as you, except rejected only once post-interview so far. Currently considering an MSc... Hang in there eh. I too ask that question: "why bother interviewing low GPA people, if you reject them anyways?" I don't know. 

14 hours ago, deoxys said:

Do omsas round the gpa ?

3.955 to 3.96

OMSAS does round to the nearest hundredth, but the difference between a 3.95 and 3.96 is quite minuscule and isn't going to make-or-break your application. I wouldn't stress about it too much :)  

This was a while ago but posting in case future applicants find it helpful :)

Result: Accepted to St. George Campus

Timestamp: May 8th, around 930am

GPA: 3.94 (illegible for wGPA)

MCAT: 520 (130/129/130/131)

ECs: some casual research, some work in an emergency department (basically scribing), various leadership positions in student organizations, volunteering at a mental health line, worked for my parents' small business and in the hospitality industry for a bit. Overall not that impressive, not that much research, not that much leadership. I avoided getting involved in many clubs in UG since I didn't really resonate with any of them.

Essays: wrote them the week of, edited them the night before (pulled an all nighter editing/finishing them, finished at around 9am lol). Overall I felt pretty good about them but it could have been the late-night delirium. I focused on clusters for the ABS essays and on storytelling/narration in the question prompt essays. Probably the strongest part of my app, since I was below average for the rest of the criteria.

Interview: One was really bad, stumbled on an ethical scenario that I couldn't articulate well. One other one went okay, and two I felt went very well. The best advice I received going in was to be an overly-confident, slightly better version of yourself. Interviewed at Mac without this advice (focusing on analysis and question response frameworks instead of who I was) and got wrecked there.

Year: 3rd year UG 

Geography: IP 

On 5/9/2017 at 5:35 PM, jeff123 said:

Long time lurker here. 

Result: Accepted to St. George

Timestamp: 6:19am 

wGPA: 3.61

MCAT: Above cut offs

ECs: Professional chess player, won several regional competitions, did well in provincials. 

Essays: Strongest part of my application. Hired the right person to do them for me, though it was rather costly. 

Interview: Felt great throughout, my personality really shined during the interview. 

Year: 4th year UG

Absolutely in shock. My mind went completely blank for half an hour.

Had multiple backup plans since I knew my GPA was going to be a major hurdle. I think my ECs and Interview really made an impression. So for everyone out there with less than a perfect GPA who's debating whether or not to apply, there is hope!  

@jeff123 Mind if I ask about your GPA? I have a similar one and am debating whether or not to apply for the next cycle. At this point, I wasn't going to and was hoping this coming year would give me a little bit of a boost. Did you write an academic explanation essay? I've just never seen anyone post about an acceptance with a GPA like that so I'm wondering how you did it!

Anyone else ever heard of an acceptance with a GPA this low??! I know masters students are looked at differently but out of undergrad, I assumed you needed at least a 3.8+

Also can anyone tell me if the 3.6 minimum is for cGPA or wGPA? I'm assuming wGPA based on this post?

I know I'm late, but I found this thread really helpful during the application process so...

Result: Accepted to St. George (May 8)

GPA: 3.96 cGPA 3.99 wGPA

Extracurriculars: executive on various clubs and other leadership positions, lots of shadowing, volunteering with marginalized populations, prep session leader, customer service work experience, a couple academic awards.. message if you want details!

Research: 3 summers as a research assistant with various research scholarships + volunteering during the school year, 1 third author manuscript in preparation, 1 fourth author manuscript submitted but not yet published

MCAT: 519 (132/128/130/129)

Essays: was unsure about applying to U of T (after not taking courses at the appropriate course level) so I wrote them the day before the due date, and had only one family member check them over. Didn't feel great given the time constraint, but made them very personal while making sure I was still answering the question. Didn't focus on the clusters.

Interview: felt so incredibly BAD. Cried on the way home and couldn't stop thinking about it for a week. The first station felt good, second felt mediocre, and third and fourth just felt so terrible. I honestly think I said some of the stupidest things I've ever said. 

Education level: 4th year undergrad

Still incredibly shocked (but overjoyed) to have received an acceptance. I had 3 other interviews, but U of T felt the worst by a landslide. I'm pretty sure I had great references, which may have also brought my pre-interview score up. Just goes to show that post-interview feelings are not always accurate, and even if they are, pre-interview criteria still matters.

Result: Accepted to MAM (off waitlist)

Timestamp: May 30

wGPA: 3.96

MCAT: 517 (131/125/131/130)

ECs: Coaching, research, athletics, various volunteering (see my UofA post for more details!)

Essays: Did them very last minute but I felt that they were still very strong and connected to the CANMEDs/my personal experiences well!

Interview: Overall I felt that it was good about my answers, there were some instances where I said things without really thinking it through, 3 stations I felt I was able to connect with the interviewer (not necessarily impress however?) and one I felt the interviewer was not engaged/bored :( 

Year: BSc 2017

Geography: OOP

I had a great time at UofT and would have loved to attend however, after much thought and self-reflection, I have declined to stay closer to home!

• 11 months later...
On 5/23/2018 at 11:55 AM, aquanaut said:

OMSAS does round to the nearest hundredth, but the difference between a 3.95 and 3.96 is quite minuscule and isn't going to make-or-break your application. I wouldn't stress about it too much :)  

When UofT calculates their wgpa would they round the final score to the nearest hundredth also? Or do they leave it as 3.955

Result: Accepted to St. George :)

Timestamp: May 14th 

Email Subject Line: University of Toronto MD Offer Letter (for those who are curious about what the email looks like)

wGPA: 3.94 or 3.95, can't remember exactly how it would have been rounded

MCAT: Above the cutoffs

ECs: Average to above average. Significant amounts of hospital volunteering, tutoring, research (outside of grad school), a few awards/scholarships and a lot of student leadership. I think overall it was essentially stuff you'd expect from any pre-med, nothing I would classify as truly unique. Kept the clusters in mind when choosing my ECs and describing them in the ABS statements.

Brief Personal Essays: Started to brainstorm two weeks before the deadline, but actually wrote them in the last two days before the deadline (I don't recommend this as I didn't have time to allow others to proofread). I thought they were adequate for what is expected of an MD applicant, although nothing spectacular that would blow someone's mind. I focused more on exposing my experiences/viewpoint rather than trying to artificially fit in those clusters; made three of them personal and one was fairly impersonal.

Interview: Coming out of it I thought it was mediocre overall and I cringed several times in the subsequent weeks about some of things I said. My personal breakdown of all 4 stations was : 1- above average; 2- average ; 3- good ; 4- below average  

Year: MSc Completed (no first author publications, so I was likely evaluated as an undergrad)

Result: Accepted to St. George

Timestamp: May 14th 9:41 AM EST

wGPA: 3.92 

MCAT: pretty much at cutoffs 

ECs: research (pubs that I'm particularly proud of), unique (I think) employment experiences with long term commitments, diverse volunteering but not as good as my employment

Brief Personal Essays: some of the best writing I've ever done I think, had a mentor edit them who knows me and my work very well 

Interview: 2 were good, 1 was so awkward, one was ok

Year: MSc completed, working full time

Reference Letters: 2 would have been extremely strong, 1 is a wild card, possibly below average but not sure 

FOURTH time applying it can be done, this wait was so painful, good luck to everyone! 

Saw the offer on OMSAS before I got the e-mail

Result: Accepted - St. George 

Timestamp: May 14th 9:!6AM EST

wGPA: 3.95

MCAT: Met cutoffs

ECs: Long-term volutneering and extra-curriculars. Lots of research/awards from grad school. 

Brief Personal Essays: I worked on these for several weeks. I spoke from the heart and had multiple people (including current med students) edit them. I felt really good about them.

Interview: My favourite interview! I felt like I was able to show my personality to the interviewers. I stayed true to myself and I think that payed off!

Year: MSc

So happy to hear the amazing news. Looking forward to being a part of the 2T3 class!!

Result: Accepted - St. George 

cGPA: 3.95 

wGPA: 3.99

MCAT: 509 (125/128/128/128) 

ECs: Lots of research (2 first author, 2 coauthors pubs, NSERC,  posters, invited speaker, etc.), and a good balance of other activities with leadership, employment, etc. I also felt like I had 2 very strong LoR and one average to strong LoR. 

Essays: I wrote them during an all nighter the day before applications were due so I wasn't expecting much. However, I did go back and reread them, and maybe due to the time crunch, I can tell I answered the questions while being true to myself, so perhaps that helped. I didn't have anyone review them. 

Interview: My favourite interview by far! I felt like I was able to be myself and made some genuine connections with 3 of the interviewers. I felt 3 stations went great and 1 was average. 

Year: 4th 

I will be accepting my offer and am looking forwarded to meeting everyone! Good luck and don't give up if things don't go your way this year! 

Result: ACCEPTED- ST. GEORGE

wGPA: 4.00

MCAT: met cutoffs

ECs: diverse and varied, award, leadership and research heavy with a good mix of long term and short term meaningful commitments!

Essays: spent 2 weeks, heartfelt and could resonate with them on an intimate level. Sought proof-reading from current MD student.

Interview: Really conversational interview, felt like it was able to capture my personality well! I felt two stations were outstanding, one was good, and one was average. 

Year: 4th

Will be accepting, easily the best day of my life!

Result: Waitlisted - (Accepted June 6, phone call 10 am PDT)

Timestamp: May 14th 6:13 AM PST

wGPA: 3.8

MCAT: 522

ECs: See other posts or PM for details. Pretty pre-med average, but also some random entries. Used extraneous circumstances box. 

Brief Personal Essays: Wrote them the night before they were due because I've been rejected pre-interview from Toronto for 3 years now that I just didn't feel confident. 

Interview: Felt like I did well on 2, just ok on the other 2. 

Year: HBSc 2017. 

Result: Accepted UTSG

Timestamp: May 14th 9:10 am

wGPA: 3.93-3.94

MCAT: Above cutoffs

ECs: Varied. LOR: One excellent, one decent, one wild card. 

Brief Personal Essays: I spent two weeks on them with multiple individuals reviewing them throughout. By the end they were solid.

Interview: I honestly did not expect to get an interview. I prepped for two weeks straight (with med students, residents, physicians, friends, premeds) and it felt like I killed one, did very well in two and okay in the last station.

Easily the best day of my life!

Timestamp: May 14th, 9:17AM

GPA: 3.98

MCAT: 509 (126/125/129/129)

ECs: Varied and Extensive, Message for details!

Essays: Were solid!

Interview: Felt like I nailed them all, but the last guy was very grumpy and I thought he'd be the reason I was rejected lol

Year: Finishing a masters!

Timestamp: May 14th, 9:16 AM

GPA: 3.96

MCAT: Above cutoffs

ECs: Good enough for all EC heavy schools

Essays: I think they were pretty good. I worked very hard on them for 2 months and made sure my friends thought they were a good representation of me.

Interview: 2 stations were good, and 2 stations I left thinking "Whelp, nice knowing ya UofT". 

Year: Masters done

I never thought I would have a few offers given how poorly I perceived my own performance in the interviews.  I wan't this to be a lesson that no matter how you feel after your interview, you just never know. I will likely be declining this offer. Good luck everyone! 

Result: Rejected

Timestamp: May 14th, 9:00 AM

GPA: 3.96

MCAT: 515

ECs: Check my past posts.

Essays: Spent a good month on them and multiple revisions

Interview:: Interestingly enough, I thought this was my absolute best interview and UBC was my worst. Really goes to show how little post interview impressions correlate with the actual result since I was rejected at a school where I felt my interview went as best as it could, while accepted at another in which I made very objectively spotty performances.

Year: Professional Degree Year 1

I can't deny that this came at a great surprise to me. I was so sure that I would have this in the bag after getting my UBC offer (since that interview was quite bad), but in the end, I guess you never really know. A bit sad that I have to be away from family and old friends for another 4 years, but happy that I don't have to make the difficult call of choosing between my Vancouver friends and Toronto. I won't weigh this on my mind too much since I can always come back for electives, residency and summer opportunities. 
Furthermore, I know many great interviewees who could easily outperform me in any interview and were rejected or waitlisted across many Ontario schools. Its incredibly astounding how competitive OMSAS has become and I hold only the utmost respect and admiration for those who were admitted. Congratulations!  

WAITLISTED!!!!

pretty heartbroken to see the waitlist email after coming out of the interview feeling fairly good! Does anyone have some insight into how much the UofT waitlist moves, or historically if it moves at all?

Also, I know that some schools have a "good" or "bad" waitlist, my email had no indication of this so i'm wondering if UofT just is one big waitlist?

Any advice on the numbers or movement of the UofT waitlist would be MUCH appreciated!

Hopefully some people got multiple offers and space will open up for us wait-listers :(