Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest UTMed07

This may sound kinda weird but I think I know who zfield is (friend of a friend) and his stats are correct.

Ok. The chances of getting such a score are next to impossible. They become especially impossible when multiple people seem to have "friends" with 40+ scores. Allow me to clarify.

Based on the 2006 MCAT stats (from http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/examineedata/combined06.pdf),

Probability of 14 in PS = 2.2% = 0.022

Probability of 14 in VR = 0.1% = 0.001

Probability of S in WS = 2.8% = 0.028

Probability of 14 in BS = 1.5% = 0.015

So, Probability of 14, 14, S, 14 = 9.24*10^-9

10^-9! The chances are basically one in a billion! Now, someone else has a friend with an equally ridiculous score (15, 15, 13, T). So between the people on this forum, we "know" 2 of these 1 in a billion type people.

Further, the sample size for 2006 is roughly 70,000. So how many people in 70,000 can we expect to score this high?

Well, 9.24*10^-9 x 70,000 = 6.468 * 10^-4.

So, the probability that even one person will score this high is 1 in 10,000. Which is roughly zero.

I think people need to critically evaluate when their "friends" tell them their scores!

Man, you have too much time on your hands. Why do care about other people's MCAT scores?

I know two individuals who scored over 40 on the MCAT in the past few years.

Just to look at your math- With those exact scores in each category, your math says 7 people out 70 000 then had that exact score (42 s with that combination in each category) - which is not zero people, haha.

Also, there are varied other combinations of achieving a 42 (e.g 15 15 12, 15 14 13, etc), with a varied number of writing scores.

Taking that into account, with the 41, 42 43, 44, all being values over 40, how can you then say that its impossible that no one has friends that scored over 40?

Ok. The chances of getting such a score are next to impossible. They become especially impossible when multiple people seem to have "friends" with 40+ scores. Allow me to clarify.

Based on the 2006 MCAT stats (from http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/examineedata/combined06.pdf),

10^-9! The chances are basically one in a billion! Now, someone else has a friend with an equally ridiculous score (15, 15, 13, T). So between the people on this forum, we "know" 2 of these 1 in a billion type people.

Further, the sample size for 2006 is roughly 70,000. So how many people in 70,000 can we expect to score this high?

Well, 9.24*10^-9 x 70,000 = 6.468 * 10^-4.

So, the probability that even one person will score this high is 1 in 10,000. Which is roughly zero.

I think people need to critically evaluate when their "friends" tell them their scores!

You're logic is flawed because you can only use probability to predict the likelyhood that an event will occur if it were to occur by chance only. Why you can't use it with the MCAT scores is because the event did occur, and multiple times, because the MCAT scoring system is based how well people did in reference to how everyone else in that same test sitting did. People will score 14's or 15's. What you need to calculate is the percentile ranking of a person having a 42S, minus that from 100%, and times it by the sample size. For example, if we take the percentile ranking for 42 is like 99.9% (just random guess) and the sample size is 70,000, then calculate 0.01*70,000 to give you 700 people from the 2006 testing that got 42. Now given that this forum is open to people across Canada, it is very likely that more than one person here knows someone who did get a 42+ score (and I am also one of these people).

Not to beat this to death ... but the main reason why you cannot use this logic is because it assumes that the 4 marks; 14, 14, 14, S are independent events.

An analysis of MCAT scores will yield very strong within-subject correlations between the different categories.

In other words, people who tend to do well in one category, also tend to do well in the other categories.

But if you take a step back, who cares how someone did on their MCAT? It is quite transparent that at UT the MCAT serves as a binary prerequisite; either you have the scores or not. If the poster’s scores are authentic, then they should be congratulated. On the other hand, if they are fabricated, then let these people glow in their own fantasies.

The math done above is wrong. I got a 39Q on the mcat and was in the 99th percentile. The 99th percentile means that 1% of people scored this high or higher. 1% of 70 000 is 700. If 42S or whatever is 99.9th percentile then that is equivalent to 70 people. considering about 1/7 of the test takers were canadian we can assume about 10 people in Canada received scores this high or higher so in my opinion it's reasonable that these people are not lying about their mcat score. Either way it doesn't matter, after a certain point the higher your mcat score is matters not. Most schools just use it as a flag i.e. Over 30? great move onto the next variable be it GPA or interview or whatever.

Long time lurker here guys... just checked my email and found that I got an offer, totally taken by surprise considering I barely made it to the interview!

So here it is:

I'm a Ontario resident at U of T for genetics. My GPA was 3.87 (U of T weighted) and MCAT:

Physical Sciences:10

Verbal: 8

Biological Sciences: 13

Written Sample: S

I was

- interviewed + rejected by McGill as an OOP.

- interviewed + wailisted @ U of T and offered admissions today.

My hands are still shaking as I'm typing this.... thank you ALL for your help over the past year, and endless patience to my questions. I am forever grateful!

M. Sc. student with 3 first author pubs (two in top ACS journals), and 1 second author (in a top ACS journal). I have 4 abstracts, and 4 posters.

Holy crap that is amazing research productivity! four publications during a 2 year research degree - I would have spent those two years WRITING the papers and having little time to do the research :)

Obviously very worthy of admissions

What subject did you do your UG and MSc in if you don't mind me asking and where?

Hi,

I remember reading this thread last year and hoping that someone out there had similar qualifications as I did, thinking that this would mean that my chances of getting in are good. In retrospect, I don't know if posting my stats means anything at all, but here they are anyways.

GPA 3.95

VR 9

BS 11

PS 10

WS S

I applied in my 4th year of undergrad at McMaster. Lots of ECs, two years of research, no publications. I interviewed and was accepted to U of T, Mac, Ottawa and Alberta. I got rejected pre-interview from NOSM and I didn't qualify for Western and Queen's due to my low MCAT scores.

I'll be joining U of T in September. :D

M. Sc. student with 3 first author pubs (two in top ACS journals), and 1 second author (in a top ACS journal). I have 4 abstracts, and 4 posters.

Holy crap that is amazing research productivity! four publications during a 2 year research degree - I would have spent those two years WRITING the papers and having little time to do the research :)

Obviously very worthy of admissions

What subject did you do your UG and MSc in if you don't mind me asking and where?

BSc in Biochemistry and MSc in biochemistry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

10^-9! The chances are basically one in a billion!

This analysis is simply wrong as one section's score GREATLY affects the score of the next section, and even more on the third section, and more on the fourth!! These are not independent probabilities like pulling a red ball from a bag, etc..

Scoring 14 on PS has a probability of 2.2% as you say, I agree

but then scoring 14 on VR KNOWING THAT HE SCORED 14 on PS is no longer 0.1%! it's rather something like 80%... and as he scores the 14, the chances for a 14 in BS is now even higher.. a 95% let's say..

in the same way.. a student that scores very low on one section is also likely to score low on another section. very simple logic.

It doesn't always work of course. I know a friend who scored 13 on two sections but only 8 on verbal (English was not his first language).. but if it was, he probably would have scored very high on that section too.

In fact, such a score is much more likely than a score of 14, 6, 6. even if "mathematically" if you treat the events as independent, you would get a much higher probability.

and as you can probably infer by now, I have to study for an exam and i'm trying hard to find ways to procrastinate :P

• 5 months later...

Just thought I'd post my stats since I've just got my acceptance after applying 3 times. 3rd time's a charm, I guess :)

BSc. Hons and finishing up my MSc.

MCAT: BS-11 PS-8 VR-9 WS-S

U of T GPA: 3.72

Volunteered at a hospital for 3 years

Presented at 2 conferences

2 publications: 1 second author and 1 third author (working on a third)

Despite my lowish stats for GPA and MCAT, the graduate card worked in my favour since research productivity is considered more important than those stats.

Accepted

UT undergrad

GPA: 3.97 OMSAS (3.99 UT weighted)

MCAT: 39P (10VR, 14PS, 15BS)

Research: 2 summers with abstract presented at a conference but no publications yet

Extracurriculars: volunteered at hospital, a few clubs

Misc: several academic scholarships, piano, creative writing (poetry and fiction) including some awards and one publication in a literary journal

GPA: 3.94 UofT scale

MCAT: 29S

International med experience, research, publications, student politics etc.

Wait listed....

I was accepted into med at the University of Wollongong and the University of Queensland in Australia. I will be attending Wollongong unless somthing unexpected occurs such as getting in off the waitlist at UofT.

would you rather go to Queensland? the rep is better i think..

Accepted!

Had a U of T gpa of 3.90 last year, but had a lazy 4th year, so that came down to like 3.86...32S MCATs

4 months in Nepal, Everest Base Camp, few summers doing research, volunteer activities since high school...

Second time applying, but second's times a charm!