Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest UTMed07

It's not the MCAT scores, you guys should know that. It's not quite the GPA score either as the spread is quite varied, ranging from 3.80s to 4.0s - realistically though, I know, it's important to have 3.85 at least.

But take a look at In Valid - he had a 3.97 and was still waitlisted.

The most important thing is your non-academic package: You really have to have a well-written essay, a very good EC list (leadership, volunteering or research, clubs), and very well written LORs.

The interview is also very important.

I know, I wish I could be an American citizen to take advantage of these!

what's even sadder is that these people are only averaging 1-2 acceptances!

if this were the states, they'd be getting multitudes of scholarships and free rides

regardless, looking at this makes me think i may be screwed for UT

again... :eek:

• 1 month later...
Accepted...attempt numero >3 over the years. MCAT 9/10/11/Q (VPBW) with 3.2 undergrad GPA...MSc. with much better GPA...several publications (2 first authorships)...both local & international volunteer work. Anyways, congrats to all as well and persistence will be rewarded eventually. Fingers crossed for those still waiting.

Thanks for this post...the encouragement.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

I remember reading this thread last year and hoping that someone out there had similar qualifications as I did, thinking that this would mean that my chances of getting in are good. In retrospect, I don't know if posting my stats means anything at all, but here they are anyways.

GPA 3.95

VR 9

BS 11

PS 10

WS S

I applied in my 4th year of undergrad at McMaster. Lots of ECs, two years of research, no publications. I interviewed and was accepted to U of T, Mac, Ottawa and Alberta. I got rejected pre-interview from NOSM and I didn't qualify for Western and Queen's due to my low MCAT scores.

I'll be joining U of T in September. :D

ofc your stats r useful b/c they r almost identical to mine wow that gives me hope!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey..

I'm from U of T (St. George) and am in the Human Biology program.

My cGPA is 3.88 (After cutting off 1 credit / year as UT allows with a full course load, it's a 3.93).

MCAT: 14 PS, 13 BS, T WS, 08 VS

I also have 2 years of research experience in a science-based research lab at U of T. Also other ecs...

I didn't even get an interview invitation. I'm clueless about what could have gone wrong..

The MCAT scores are usually above 9, but I know other undergraduates (atleast 2 of my friends) who have an 8 in verbal too, but they got interviews...

Do you guys suggest I try applying to US schools (the good ones..)? Do I have a good shot with these stats?

The help is appreciated!

Hey..

My cGPA is 3.88 (After cutting off 1 credit / year as UT allows with a full course load, it's a 3.93).

I also have 2 years of research experience in a science-based research lab at U of T. Also other ecs...

I didn't even get an interview invitation. I'm clueless about what could have gone wrong..

The MCAT scores are usually above 9, but I know other undergraduates (atleast 2 of my friends) who have an 8 in verbal too, but they got interviews...

Do you guys suggest I try applying to US schools (the good ones..)? Do I have a good shot with these stats?

The help is appreciated!

8 VS will flag you by the adcom, which means that if they don't find something in your application that is out of the ordinary, most likely you weren't going to get an interview consideration. Your other sections on the MCAT is amazing, however they are not scored. Your other categories including GPA, EC, research are pretty much common to what most applicants have, so I think in the end that 8 might have been the reason.

Hey..

The help is appreciated!

mind me asking which year you are in?

Hey..

The help is appreciated!

For U of T, your essay and letters of reference need to be really well written. If they're generic, it'll hurt you. It's not your 8, many people get intereviews with 8 and many even accepted with 8s. It's how you put your application together that really counts at Toronto - they do a full review for the people who meet the minimums. This is the only thing that I have identified after being here for the last 3 cycles, lol. It's the essay and reference letters.

Hi everyone,

Just a gentle reminder to keep this thread for just stats and whether you were accepted/rejected/waitlisted. Please have all other 'conversations' in other threads, so that this tread can remain a useful resource for people in future years.

Thank you.

Elaine

• 1 month later...

BSc. - UWO (2003), MBA – UWO (2005), MPH – Yale (2007)

GPA - 3.97 (undergrad)

MCAT 2006 : BS - 9, PS-7, VR-9, R

MCAT 2007 : BS – 9, PS-9, VR-13, S

MCAT 2008 : BS-13, PS-11, VR-12, R

I applied last year and was 100% rejected.

4 years of research experience, 2 publications in minor journals, 5 years volunteering in hospitals, international experience in Haiti and Kenya, worked at the WHO for a year.

Applied: UWO, Mac, UT

Interviewed: UWO, Mac, UT

Accepted: UT

Attending: UT (MD/PhD) - My first choice

I am content with how this turned out.

• 1 month later...

Applicant for Sept. 2009 Entry, University of Toronto: Accepted

- - - -

I'm a NB resident in undergraduate studies. My cGPA was 4.1 on a scale of 4.3and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 12

Verbal: 11

Biological Sciences: 12

Written Sample: T

This was the 1st time I wrote the MCAT.

Interview Feeling/experience: This interview went very well- I couldn't have been happier with the interviewers, subject matter etc. I felt very good going in, and better coming out.

This is my first time applying to this school. I was ACCEPTED.

- Premed Guy

4th year Ontario student

cGPA: 3.76

U of T wGPA: 3.89

MCAT

PS 11

V 10

BS 11

WS Q

EC: hospital volunteering, international health ed volunteering, equestrian, chaired a fundraiser, one summer and one year (4th year thesis) of research (no publications)

Applied: UofT, Queen's, Western, Mac, Ottawa, UofC

Interviewed: UofT, Queen's, Western

Waitlisted: Queen's, Western

Accepted: UofT

Toronto is my first choice, so I'm definitely attending!

Accepted for 2009 September entry.

GPA: OMSAS 3.6. Adjusted 3.8.

MCAT: 30O (V:7, B:10,P:13, W: O)

Undergrad in China and PHD in Canada

Lots of reserach, 10 publications, Some in Nature, Neuron, etc.

Very good ref letter.

Consultant for a biotech company.

Lots of volunteer experience.

Will accept this offer for sure!

Accepted for Sept. '09:

GPA: weighted 3.68

HBSc (Ontario), current MSc

5 years research experience, 4 publications (2 primary) + abstracts, presented at 3 conferences (1 international)

Lots of volunteer experience and buttload of extra-cirriculars (keep me sane =)

Definitely accepting. Congrats everyone!

4th year Alberta student

cGPA: 3.97

U of T wGPA: 3.99

MCAT

PS 11

V 9

BS 14

WS R

EC: I had quite a bit of volunteering, research experience. Received many academic and leadership awards from UofA, worked in the career centre while going to school... Rejected without even waitlist, you can tell how dissapointed I am...

4th year Ontario student.

cGPA: 3.99

MCAT

PS 10

V 8 (poopy)

BS 12

WS R

EC: whole bunch of volunteering and research (3 nserc usra's + one abstract); few clubs; public speaking.

Interview was at 11 am, and it went terribly. My interviewers were half asleep (I had to stop myself from slapping them). They were completely unfamiliar with my personal statement (so the questions were random - eg do you play any sports, do you have any international volunteer experience, etc...it's like they were looking for a specific type of applicant). Oh well.

Congrats to those who were accepted/waitlisted.

BSc. - UWO (2003), MBA – UWO (2005), MPH – Yale (2007)

GPA - 3.97 (undergrad)

MCAT 2006 : BS - 9, PS-7, VR-9, R

MCAT 2007 : BS – 9, PS-9, VR-13, S

MCAT 2008 : BS-13, PS-11, VR-12, R

I applied last year and was 100% rejected.

4 years of research experience, 2 publications in minor journals, 5 years volunteering in hospitals, international experience in Haiti and Kenya, worked at the WHO for a year.

Applied: UWO, Mac, UT

Interviewed: UWO, Mac, UT

Accepted: UT

Attending: UT (MD/PhD) - My first choice

I am content with how this turned out.

holy ****, nice academic history

4th year UofT

U of T wGPA: 3.95

MCAT

PS 14

V 10

BS 12

WS R

EC: long-term hospital volunteering, 2 NSERC, bunch of leadership, excellent references (guys this is key, references are key)

best of luck to the rest of you, it's definitely possible, just gota work hard and stay positive :)