Premed 101 Forums

Experience with minoxidil

anonymouspls

Ive been noticing a bit of thinning of my hair over past year and finally bit the bullet and started 1 mg finasteride with minoxidil foam a few weeks ago. Its been pretty good so far but ive noticed the minoxidil makes my hair look oily for a few hours. This might be a problem in residency I think with applying it in the morning and at night. Anyone have any experience with this and how to make it more fashionable for work haha?

Honestly it’s been fine with the foam. Some days it actually makes the hair nice and full and standing which is fun hah. Whatever works for you at the end of the day. What’s the cost of the 1mg fin these days, have been hesitant to get in that and have found pretty good success in the interim with the ‘gainz. 

1 hour ago, IMislove said:

Honestly it’s been fine with the foam. Some days it actually makes the hair nice and full and standing which is fun hah. Whatever works for you at the end of the day. What’s the cost of the 1mg fin these days, have been hesitant to get in that and have found pretty good success in the interim with the ‘gainz. 

Im paying about $260 for 3 months of fin and minoxidil. Im a few weeks in and no sides yet aside from maybe a little bit lower sex drive, which is the most common side effect. This isnt concerning for me considering my baseline was pretty high lol but maybe something to consider if youre already low drive pre finasteride

2 hours ago, anonymouspls said:

Im paying about $260 for 3 months of fin and minoxidil. Im a few weeks in and no sides yet aside from maybe a little bit lower sex drive, which is the most common side effect. This isnt concerning for me considering my baseline was pretty high lol but maybe something to consider if youre already low drive pre finasteride

Seems expensive? Fin is like $15 when prescribed by a GP. Minoxidil is pricey but that's high regardless.

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, tomchris said:

I have the same experience.  Extremely oily and my hair super thin.  I wanted to use it once at 5pm and once ay 9pm and leave it out of the "work hair" equation.   Have you had any luck?

Im probably going to be on my regiment for the rest of my life, its basically stopped my thinning and reversed a lot of it. I just use it in the morning and night. It kinda works like hair product so i mix it all into my scalp then style my hair. And no side effects on fin 6 months in so all good so far.

any concerns about oily hair etc are offset when you compare it with the cost of having obviously thinning hair, or male pattern baldness, imo

• 2 weeks later...

I use minoxidil and had the exact same problem as some of you. Hair looked oily and even more thin and bald when I applied the minoxidil.

What I did was use it after work and again before bed. Also at times, I only used it once and it still did the trick. I don't even use finasteride lol. After about 4 months I grew enough hair on my head that I was cool with using it in the morning because even with it looking oily it looked great lol

So just do it after work for now, then once you see results you should be able to do it in the morning because it'll look fine. Also, on surgical rotations you are wearing a scrub cap anyways so you can use it in the morning too. Also on weekends you can use it in the morning too. Let me know if you have any more questions!

• 1 month later...