Premed 101 Forums

Received the regrets for UBC this year... I thought that this year would be successful given the amount of time I put into interview prep, but it just didn't happen. I'm wondering what is the best way to improve my chances at UBC. I thought I had a good interview but it ended up being average. I'm looking for different perspectives on my current situation, as I am approaching my mid-20s now and not sure how much more time I should commit to this.

GPA: 88.3

aGPA: 89.2

NAQ: 75-100 percentile

Slider: about 60% of the way between IP and OOP

Interview: Average

MCAT: 514 (130/128/129/127)

I'm thinking that rewriting the MCAT for a higher score could help, and it expires after my next application anyway. Also improving my interview to above average... does anyone have any tips on how to do this? Perhaps it is the content of my answers that held me back... I felt I was a bit to superficial with my points and didn't answer to the depth of what I wanted. 

Honestly a little broken over this result... this process is so arduous and I don't know what I'll do if it doesn't work out just yet. There are options, but its so damn saddening to have work not pay off for this goal in particular.

Hey! My condolences on the regrets, I know how hard they can be. I'm a current year UBC Med grad that lurks these forums. It took me a couple tries to get the interview, but got in on my first interview.

From what you've said, it sounds like the interview was the deal breaker. I think rewriting the MCAT with 514 would be busywork, and not actually improve your application.

What I've noticed is that there is the myth of a perfect interview formula that's out there. That perfecting a certain demeanour to show for the interview will get you an above average result. Most people approach the interview with this mentality, and end up blending in with the majority who practices the same way.

The interview isn't about being slightly better at a certain approach than other interviewees. It's about standing out as someone with traits and ideas that will make a good doctor. 

If you want to continue aiming for medicine (a wonderful career in my biased opinion!), I'd suggest studying LESS for the interview. Spend this year developing general knowledge and communication skills. When you see an issue in the news or in person, develop a real opinion on it. When you get to the interview again, you'll have a variety of interesting opinions that will show your investment and insights.

I didn't study at all for my interview. I had a broad range of opinions I could defend, and a casual interviewing style that drew the interviewers in. Over preparing can be as much a foe as taking it too lightly.

Just my two cents!

Hi there! 

You are right to be disheartened, you are a strong applicant, the process is so hard.  

If you had an average interview it means your interview was good, you are competeing against very strong interviwers. It also may have been a bit of bad luck as far as who you interviwed at the same time as.

I do think you should apply again. I started medical school in my late twenties and have no regrets. 

For the interview you do want to have depth and be a bit unquie with your answers where possible. Everyone has good answers so anything you can do to make yours stand out should be noticed. 

Your MCAT score is good but if you could increase it by a few points that wouldn't hurt. 

You're welcome to message me if you want to talk more. 

Good luck.