Premed 101 Forums

Occupational medicine prospects

Please for a family physician who ventures into occupational medicine, what are the job opportunities like? Also what is the average expected income? Thank you very much. Just wondering if it's a good niche, or only the consultants have it nice in the field. Your advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Are you specifically only interested in being FM with a focus on occupational medicine or you want to become a FRCPC in occupational medicine? 

I have experience working with both as occupational medicine often works with environmental health and chronic disease/injury prevention portfolios. 

That would help. 

- G 

10 hours ago, GH0ST said:

Are you specifically only interested in being FM with a focus on occupational medicine or you want to become a FRCPC in occupational medicine? 

I have experience working with both as occupational medicine often works with environmental health and chronic disease/injury prevention portfolios. 

That would help. 

- G 

Thanks for your response.

I am interested in FM with specific interest in occupational medicine, possibly becoming an FCBOM. So was wondering what the job opportunities are like. Are there many for example? Are the jobs limited to the big cities? Do you get to work as an employee in occupational medicine facilities, or you can incorporate it into your own family medicine practice. What is the expected income if salaried OccMed physician or if one incorporates it into their routine FM practice.

Thanks once again.

1 hour ago, Connoisseur said:

Thanks for your response.

I am interested in FM with specific interest in occupational medicine, possibly becoming an FCBOM. So was wondering what the job opportunities are like. Are there many for example? Are the jobs limited to the big cities? Do you get to work as an employee in occupational medicine facilities, or you can incorporate it into your own family medicine practice. What is the expected income if salaried OccMed physician or if one incorporates it into their routine FM practice.

Thanks once again.

I think both options are possible... there's actually an occupational medicine course for GPs hosted by the University of Alberta group occupational medicine for people that want the additional training to do more work in that area that would be a good place to start in terms of looking at the training and the physicians are occupational medicine FRCPC or CCFP physicians. I'd ask them for more details. 

- G