Premed 101 Forums

Is everyone in radiology on adderal or vyanase?

Ha, seem to be getting a bunch of these sort of posts lately. 

Was he joking? I mean call for any resident is very busy and exhausting - radiologist is particularly busy and non-stop (which is why unlike other specialties we don't stay after the shift until the point allowed by paro in Ontario for instance but rather leave by 8am in most places. We have call rooms, but they aren't used much if at all.). 

The only stimulate commonly used is caffeine. I have heard people joke that radiology is a field that converts caffeine into radiology reports but again that is said jokingly.

I am an emergency radiologist - so I work along side the resident overnight. Busy yes, but that brutal no. 

Also in many places reporting for long period of time is quite normal as staff - just like many other branches of medicine people are not working 8 hour days. In the community for instance many rads are also on call regularly - so that can be a 15 hour day. One of the reasons for call in general is that staff doctors in many field work long hours, and learning how to do that is a skill that takes practice. 

When I work 24 hours in radiology I often have trouble sleeping immediately after the shift because my mind is still racing (even with no caffeine).

I've met very few on stimulants (and those are people who were taking it in med school for studying) but maybe the culture is different in certain places.

• 9 months later...