Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

accepted (vfmp)

Gpa- ~88

Mcat-34

EC- think they are above average, U of A rated them above average while Calgary rated them pretty poorly so hard to say

Interview: felt good about it, although felt the same about u of a and ended up with a pretty poor interview score.

Just goes to show how all the schools look at things differently

Accepted (VFMP) - first choice
IP
2nd time applying, first time interviewing
Graduated BSc last year

Time stamp: 11:02 AM Pacific
GPA: 85%
MCAT: 10/10/10
NAQ: 21 (last year)
ECs: clinical research, performing arts, one long term volunteer position, a term abroad
Interview: First two stations I was a nervous wreck. Then I relaxed and got quite chatty. Didn't do any interview prep, just went in there with the expectation that I had to be able to think quick on my feet and have a friendly, relaxed, normal conversation with someone.

I am not an above average applicant by any means! Feeling very lucky :)

And have been creeping these forums since 2012 so super happy to finally post this!

Edited by YouBeeSea

Finally got to posting this, I hope it helps future students:

Result: Waitlisted
Timestamp: same as waitlist timestamp
GPA: ~89%
MCAT: 34, balanced
ECs: above average, premed ECs with additional passions
Year: 4th Year UG
Geography: OOP
Interview: Felt decent-good about most stations, felt that ~2 stations could have been MUCH better, felt very confident about my performance on the essay. It was my first ever interview, so the nerves must have hit me.

Feelings: I was really hoping on going to UBC, and specifically, Vancouver. Being waitlisted is tough. I may still have a chance to get in but I realize that my chance to get VFMP may be very slim. It would be amazing to get off the waitlist, I would be happy at any of UBC's sites. Hoping for the best, planning for the worst. Staying positive and appreciative of the opportunity. I will update this post if my fortunes do in fact change. :)

Dream come true! Just got off the waitlist. Heading to VFMP!!! I am speechless and so thankful for all the support on this site. Thank you, all.

Edited by Cristiano Ronaldo

EDIT.

***nontrad*** I have 10 years of extensive and relevant work and volunteer experience. However, a significant portion of my application results from experiences I would not wish on anyone and give me a unique perspective of medical and palliative care.I have no idea how these experiences affected my NAQ score, but I made sure to include them within my application.

I post this information primarily to demonstrate that UBC does consider many aspects of your application and will recognize individuals who have overcome significant obstacles in their life as part of a non-academic perspective. For older applicants or those who have faced challenges, even those with lower than average GPA there is a place for you in medicine should you continue to pursue this proffesion. Nothing is guaranteed, however, there are many roads which can lead to a letter of acceptance.

For those looking for advice on improving their NAQ score, I am not an expert, nore is anyone else who does not sit on the admissions panel. However, I made sure to include significant contributions/excellence within the organizations I worked. Are you doing an activity because it will look good, or because you are passionate about it - and if you are passionate, and dedicated it should be able to show in your writing.

Accepted NMP

IP

4th time applying, first time interviewing

Graduated 2005

GPA: 79%

MCAT: 32

EC - 36 minimum to get an interview

Interview - Felt awesome

32 y/o

Result: Accepted

GPA: ~3.46 with strong upward trend
MCAT: 10/9/10
ECs: LOTS. To be honest I didn't feel particularly remarkable in the NAQ department. 
Year: Completed UG
Geography: IP

Score one for the low GPA/MCAT'ers out there! My AQ was probably around ~25 based on last year's app.
This was my 3rd attempt and 1st interview - I had completely written off UBC as an option and barely even got my application in this year!! To my fellow low AQ'ers: the persistence will pay off so long as you continue to improve yourself and your application!

Result: Waitlisted

OAGPA: ~4.0/4.33

MCAT: 29

ECs: leader of a youth program for 7 years, volunteers at the hospital for 8 years (multiple positions), 3 years of research background, volunteered overseas twice...nothing spectacular that most med-school applicants wouldn't have. 

Year: completed UG 

Interview: felt confident about a few but also felt like I messed up on a few

This was my first time applying and my first time interviewing. Reading some of the previous posts...it seems like UBC really doesn't have a trend :/ 

UBC is my first choice. 

This forum has helped calm my nerves and answer my questions for a loooooooooooooooooooong time. Hopefully this post will do the same for current and future applicants.

Result: Accepted VFMP
Timestamp: May 8th 11:02AM
aGPA: ~82
MCAT: ~30
Naq: From last year ~41
Interview: This was my 3rd time applying and second time interviewing. Last year I felt I bombed every station coming out of the interview and I ended up with below average interview score. This year coming out of the interview I felt like I didn't bomb anything and generally felt good. The best way to describe it was that I could give 100 reasons why I did really well, but I could also give 100 reasons why I did poorly. The difference between the years was my preparation. I did not prepare at all first year, which would have been fine if I didn't freeze up during the actual interview because I had no practice with strangers. This year the only difference was I practised with strangers who stared directly into my soul so I could get past that and truly be myself. From my observations it seems everyone has different methods of preparing. At the end of the day though, you want to make sure you are truly yourself (whether that means prepping for months or just chilling and doing yoga).

Word on NAQ because I see a lot of questions about that. I know it sounds cliché but just do what you love. I really don't know what the admissions committee is looking for, nor am I an expert on the subject but I just tried to show my life via my application. I know this is difficult to do on paper and in only a few sentences per activity, but difficult is not impossible. If you are passionate about something then show it! I just followed my passion and really tried to get out of my comfort zone on many different levels. It was definitely not an easy thing to do, but I have grown as an individual because of it.

If anyone private messages me with questions about NAQ or anything else, I will write both the question and my response publicly on the forum so that everyone has a chance to see.

Finally got a chance to post to this amazing forum!

Result: Accepted off waitlist (VFMP)
Timestamp: May 25th 2:15pm
aGPA: > 90%
MCAT: 32 (11/8/13) 

ECs: Faculty advisor (2 years), two different departments at local hospital (6 years), 2 research positions, tutoring, etc. PM if interested.

Year completed: Completed UG
Interview: Although I felt like I messed up at 2 of the stations, I did leave the interview feeling really good about the other ones.  

I can't believe I got into UBC!!  I'm very grateful that I've been given the chance to prove myself after a couple disappointing attempts at the MCAT.  It might have been my interview that saved me!  Good luck to all others that are currently on the waitlist - lots of movement should happen soon!  Cheers!

Result: Accepted off the waitlist! (VFMP)

aGPA: >85%
MCAT: 31 total
ECs: Tons of long-term, leadership-oriented, and creative ECs, many related to health & medicine.

Interview: Felt that most stations went well, messed up 1 or 2; left the interview with an uncertain feeling. I didn't do any preparation before the interview--I just walked in there and did my best to be myself.
Year: Completed undergrad

I can't believe I'm finally posting this after creeping the forums since 2009! I am so ecstatic and thankful that I am finally being given the opportunity to pursue my dream career, especially at my top choice medical school. :D

Result: Accepted off the waitlist to SMP (June 5, 2pm PST)

aGPA: ~93
MCAT: 29
ECs: Many medical and non-medical activities & accomplishments (PM for details)

Interview: Every station felt great and like actual genuine conversations. I practiced a ton for the interview, and it paid off in making me way more confident.
Year: UG completed in 2014

Very grateful to have been accepted to UBC (particularly as a second-time applicant and an OOP with a low MCAT score, as you can see), but my top choice was VFMP. So I'll be turning my offer down for another school.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So, it's November and I forgot to post this. In case it helps someone:

Result: Accepted (happiest day! Still can't believe I'm in med school!). It was such a long and hard process. But if it's what you want, you will make it happen! I honestly can't believe it happened for me. So many struggles along the way. But never gave up. Believe in your dreams.

GPA: Low 80% ish

MCAT: 28

A LOT of ECs and Research

Interview: Went well. I normally do really well at interviews, but I definitely slipped up a few times (or just overanalyzed in my head), but overall thought it went really well.

• 5 months later...

Result: Accepted to VFMP (first choice)

GPA: 4.00 (~95%)
MCAT: 14/13/11

ECs: Both the typical things and some very unique things. Excelled at both. Research, clinical volunteering, interesting hobbies (included some from high school), non-profit leadership both local and abroad, governance, advocacy.
Year: 4th year

Interview: At times repeated myself a bit too much, but I think overall I did OK to well. Was fairly relaxed and just shared my thoughts on the prompts in a semi-organized way. Depending on the prompt and interviewer some were more conversational and some were more formal. It went better when I didn't take too long for the original prompt (I made this mistake in the first station) and left time for the follow-up questions.

Treated the essay like a creative writing exercise and just had fun with it!