Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Result: rejected (2014), rejected (2015), rejected (2016)

GPA: 89.58 (overall), 90.62 (adjusted), 90.17 (prereq) (2014-2016)

AQ: 32.74 (2016)

NAQ: 32.86 (2016)

TFR: 64.5 (2014), 61.5 (2015), 65.6 (2016)

MCAT: 26 (2014-2016)

Interview: below average (2014-2016)

BC born and raised, completed UG.

Three applications, three interviews… chalking it up to bad luck?

Its clearly an interview issue, or red flags in your LORs.  Bad luck is one thing, but having 3 interviews and rejected all 3 times...its a lot more compelling that something you're doing during the interviews is rubbing them the wrong way.  You're decently above the interview cut-off as well with your high TFR.

Result: Accepted

Geography: IP

My heart goes out to all the applicants who have gotten waitlist or regrets results. I have spoken to many of you online, and have come to know you all as capable and caring people. Please do not give up if medicine is your dream and passion. Although it is difficult, try not to be disheartened or lose confidence in yourselves.

Result: rejected (2014), rejected (2015), rejected (2016)

GPA: 89.58 (overall), 90.62 (adjusted), 90.17 (prereq) (2014-2016)

AQ: 32.74 (2016)

NAQ: 32.86 (2016)

TFR: 64.5 (2014), 61.5 (2015), 65.6 (2016)

MCAT: 26 (2014-2016)

Interview: below average (2014-2016)

BC born and raised, completed UG.

Three applications, three interviews… chalking it up to bad luck?

How are you prepping for the interviews? There are a ton of practice sessions on campus I would recommend attending or meeting with some premeds to practice and get honest feedback. Your scores are really great so I would think it is the interview score, although of course it is all speculation. Nobody really knows. 

I would think if you even get your interview up to an average you will get in next year with such high AQ and NAQ, Good luck!

How are you prepping for the interviews? There are a ton of practice sessions on campus I would recommend attending or meeting with some premeds to practice and get honest feedback. Your scores are really great so I would think it is the interview score, although of course it is all speculation. Nobody really knows. 

I would think if you even get your interview up to an average you will get in next year with such high AQ and NAQ, Good luck!

I'll piggyback on your comment (slash, give a slightly dissenting opinion): for me, interview practice and feedback from a variety of med students, residents, and docs I know was I think much more valuable than that from other pre-meds.

Result: Accepted at NMP!!!

AGPA: 89%

MCAT: 31

ECs: International athletic competition, sports coaching, volunteering and working with marginalized populations, aboriginal organization and gov work experience, research, policy development, on-the-land programming, hunting, fishing, trapping. 

Interview: Rejected with below average interview in 2015. This year prepped much more with friends who are docs, academics, senior public servants. Felt much more solid across the board with only one or two stations where I didn't connect well with the interviewer. 

Year: Completed part-time 3 year B.Sc. in 2015 (took 8 years). 

Geography: Considered IP.

Result: Accepted! - VFMP
GPA: 88%
MCAT: 39
Interview: Thought it went really well after! Within the next couple days became more clear-headed and recalled some things I really shouldn't have done. I did practice an unholy amount beforehand so I guess it paid off!
Year: Just finished 4th year BSc!
Geography: IP

Result: Accepted

GPA: 86.0 (current cycle)

AQ: 27.75 (prev. cycle)

NAQ: 11.60 (prev. cycle)

TFR: 39.35 (prev. cycle)

MCAT: 37 (13 BS, 14 PS, 10 VR)

Interview: No interview (2015), felt comfortable (2016)

I applied previously to UBC in the 2014-2015 cycle and was rejected pre-interview. My AQ/NAQ were respectively 27.75 and 11.60. My NAQ this year would have had to increase at least ~16 points for me to have a chance at the interview, and even that would have had to be above average. To everybody who feels like they're lacking in non-academic traits, my advice to you would to be to build a story behind your activities and have a good reason for doing them. Show that you can learn something from every experience, and don't be afraid to brainstorm non-traditional activities. Remember to include activities that you've done for a long time but might not have considered (music, sports, recreation, hobbies). These activities can tell more about you than just your volunteering. I re-wrote every single one of my descriptions and found that a lot of them were lacking any real depth or information. Be quantitative and qualitative and sell yourself in the best way possible. 

As for the interview, I prepared completely alone, although I've previously interviewed at one other school. I didn't attend any prep sessions, but I read doing right and an interview book briefly. Make sure to highlight your thought process, demonstrate your understanding of diverse viewpoints, and ability to empathize with people. Know your response and be able to control it if you get stumped (you might!). Speak with conviction, clarity, and power. Always smile and be enthusiastic, and really consider what traits they want to see in you. Remember MMI stations are scored on your overall strength of response and suitability for the field, so the general impression matters more than the details.

This community has given me so much information while I was an undergrad, so the least I can do is to share my experience.

Result: Accepted

GPA: 86.0 (current cycle)

AQ: 27.75 (prev. cycle)

NAQ: 11.60 (prev. cycle)

TFR: 39.35 (prev. cycle)

MCAT: 37 (13 BS, 14 PS, 10 VR)

Interview: No interview (2015), felt comfortable (2016)

I applied previously to UBC in the 2014-2015 cycle and was rejected pre-interview. My AQ/NAQ were respectively 27.75 and 11.60. My NAQ this year would have had to increase at least ~16 points for me to have a chance at the interview, and even that would have had to be above average. To everybody who feels like they're lacking in non-academic traits, my advice to you would to be to build a story behind your activities and have a good reason for doing them. Show that you can learn something from every experience, and don't be afraid to brainstorm non-traditional activities. Remember to include activities that you've done for a long time but might not have considered (music, sports, recreation, hobbies). These activities can tell more about you than just your volunteering. I re-wrote every single one of my descriptions and found that a lot of them were lacking any real depth or information. Be quantitative and qualitative and sell yourself in the best way possible.

As for the interview, I prepared completely alone, although I've previously interviewed at one other school. I didn't attend any prep sessions, but I read doing right and an interview book briefly. Make sure to highlight your thought process, demonstrate your understanding of diverse viewpoints, and ability to empathize with people. Know your response and be able to control it if you get stumped (you might!). Speak with conviction, clarity, and power. Always smile and be enthusiastic, and really consider what traits they want to see in you. Remember MMI stations are scored on your overall strength of response and suitability for the field, so the general impression matters more than the details.

This community has given me so much information while I was an undergrad, so the least I can do is to share my experience.

Result: Rejected

GPA: 81.81 OGPA, 84.40 AGPA, 76.56(!!) Pre-req

AQ: 22.90

NAQ: 30.17

TFR: 53.07

MCAT: 30 (12/7/11)

Interview: Above average

Was hoping I'd be left with the predicament of choosing between dental or medical school. Guess that decision was made for me! Huge congratulations and best of luck to this year's entering class!

Result: Accepted VFMP 

GPA: ~88% including some master's courses

AQ: 25.80 (2013 cycle)

NAQ: 18.79 (2013 cycle)

TFR: 44.59 (2013 cycle)

MCAT: 11/11/12

Interview:  no interview in 2013, interviewed in 2016 - thought it went ok but it was hard to tell

Geography: IP

I am so excited to be joining UBC med, it's really a dream come true!! I have been lurking premed for most of the cycle and wanted to share my experience in case it could be helpful for prospective students. 

I realized from my 2013 application that I needed to include less conventional activities in my application (not be shy asking for help from verifiers) and boost my academics. I did a very broad 3 year UG and decided to do a master's in research which I really enjoyed. For those who went on exchange, you might consider having you transcripts 'translated' by WES. For me, this allowed UBC to included these marks and helped my GPA.

I prepared for interviews with a great group of premeds, I found the feedback was helpful and evaluating other people helped me understand the interviewer's perspective. I also prepared on my own by running through practice questions. I think having a positive energy and thoughtful answers was most important. I read somewhere on the forum that rather than pretending to be what we think they want, we might just try to be the best version of ourselves. This stuck with me and helped my push myself especially in the interviews.

Result: Accepted NMP

aGPA: ~92%

Prereq GPA: ~89%

NAQ: ~22 last year. Added a couple hundred more hours to long term commitments and took on more leadership roles for this cycle.

MCAT: 9/11/11

Interview: came out feeling good last year but ended up with a Below Average score. Was determined to still be myself this year but a more confident and professional version of myself. Seems to have worked!

Very happy and excited to be returning to the north!

A little late, but here is some more hope for non-traditional applicants!

Timestamp: 11 May 2016 @ 11:33 PDT

Result: Rejected (2011-2014), Accepted (2015-2016) - VFMP (1st Choice)

oGPA: 76.50%

aGPA: 78.65%

Prereq Avg: 71.00%

AQ: 15.14 (2013-2014), 15.17 (2014-2015)

NAQ: 45.26 (2013-2014), 43.36 (2014-2015)

TFR: 60.40 (2013-2014), 58.53 (2014-2015)

*Did not record data from 2011-2012, 2012-2013*

MCAT: 28O (2009), 27N (2011), 31 (2014)

Interview: Above average (2013-2014), Average (2014-2015)

--

Awards: A few service/volunteering awards, nothing major.

Research/Pubs: Empty section.

Non-Academic: Filled in all the slots for every section except High Performance (I had nothing in that category). Had a broad variety of long-term volunteering activities ranging from lab research, hospital/hospice volunteering, snowboard/tennis instructing, service clubs, personal hobbies, and fundraising. As many successful applicants have mentioned in the past, the quality and length of your activity matters. Don’t worry too much about what activity it is so long as it is meaningful to you and the community in some way.

Employment: Worked with children with autism, in research labs, and taught snowboarding/tennis part-time for several years.

Interview Thoughts: My third, and last, interview was the best by far. I felt knowledgeable and on point in each station. I think this was partly due to my taking public health courses in the 2015-2016 year, which helped inform me on various healthcare issues such as the aging senior population, Aboriginal health, mental health, technology in healthcare, and international public heath.

Summary: There is not much to say that has not already been said by others in the forum. It is definitely harder to be competitive if you have a low AQ or NAQ. Personally, I feel recovering from a low AQ is much more difficult than a low NAQ. But, it can be done. It will take more time and you will have to spend more time catching up in one way or another, but it can be done. Just keep developing and moving forward, whether that means working/volunteering, taking courses, doing another program (e.g., paramedicine, BSN, MPH). For those that have been rejected/waitlisted, I know that crippling feeling of dejection, frustration, anger, you name it. I experienced it for four years. But keep it up, soldier on, understand your options, have back-ups, and you’ll either get into medicine or find something just as fulfilling. For those that have been accepted, I look forward to meeting you this coming Fall!!

Accepted off the waitlist to NMP:

Time stamp: May 26th, 3:30PM

IP applicant

GPA: ~89%

Old MCAT: Best score was 11BS/10PS/9VR

NAQ: last year was ~28. See my UofT post for more info.

Interview: I felt very bad after the interview. Felt like I bombed at least 3 stations. I guess I didn't do as badly as I thought.

Will likely decline this offer for my Toronto offer.

Good luck everyone!

Result: Rejected 

oGPA: 82.15

pGPA: 82.41

aGPA: 88.90 

AQ: 30.03

NAQ: 25.27

TFR: 55.30

MCAT: 513 (127 127 127 132)

Interview: Above Average, felt great after. 

First year applying, non-trad. I have a year of C+'s and F's from 10 years ago. I calculated my pre-req GPA to be higher so one of my English marks from that first year must have counted, my adjusted GPA reflects that dropped year. 

My NAQ score was pretty surprising for me. I've worked overseas multiple times (long-term time intensive commitments), have hugely varied work experience, coaching at multiple levels, national level athletic awards, athletic scholarships, tutoring, involved in student union work. Came back to university at 27 and did 10 straight semesters without a summer break, getting straight A's with one B+ in a healthcare related field with patient interaction. I think it was low because while I filled out all the sections, some were filled with "weaker" hobbies like recreational rock climbing and a few other things. No research experience. A lot of my NAQ stuff was from at least 5 years ago now, so I'm sure that played a role. My reference letters were from people I hold in high esteem personally, but may not have been prestigious enough.

Fortunately I got hired into a good job out of school, with research opportunities. I'm going to scribe for a physician, and have the opportunity to get involved in a few primary care studies as well. Unfortunately, the last couple years have been personally challenging and I wasn't able to balance GPA with NAQ stuff, so I'm starting late even for next cycle. On the upside I'll probably have stronger reference letters for this cycle. 

Took the rejection hard, but getting prepped for the next cycle. Congrats to everyone who was accepted!

Accepted from waitlist to VFMP

1st time applying so don't have much data but:

ogpa ~ 82%

mcat 509, all 127 with CARS 128

naq was likely good: paramedic 3 years, lifeguard, first aid, ski patrol, undergrad nursing, >5000 volunteer hours, multiple sports and clubs

*edit: interview: did pretty well in my opinion - studied with a fellow applicant by going through practice scenarios until our brains hurt for probably 2 months. Picked out some bad habits and focused on those. Went in feeling like myself and relaxed and only really messed up once but was able to recover quickly. I would advise not spending too much time reiterating the question back to the speaker and don't talk about yourself too much unless it's relevant. Just have fun with it, be open to changing your opinion if the questioner gives valid counterpoints, and remember that the worst is over!

congrats to the class of 2020 and gl everyone else!! persevere and if it's what you want you'll get it eventually! i had to rebound after 70% high school avg and no sports teams to get to where i am today.

Accepted off the waitlist 

IP

Interview: Felt quite good about the interview. Much better than last year

MCAT: 128/128/129/128 (513)

Stats from last year (waitlisted)

oGPA: 81.88

pGPA: 79.03

aGPA: 83.07

AQ: 21.77

NAQ: 31.27

TFR: 53.04

Interview: below average

For people with lower marks there is hope!

Accepted to IMP off the waitlist

Time stamp: June 3rd, 10:46AM

IP applicant

GPA: ~86%

MCAT: 511

NAQ: First Time applying, so no score.

Interview: I thought I didn't bomb any stations, but there were several that I didn't exactly love my answers to either. Just felt OK about the interview overall. 

I will be accepting this offer, and I am looking forward to meeting everyone! For everyone on the waitlist, keep your hopes alive, the list is moving! And for people who got regrets, keep pushing, if this is what you want, and you put in the work, you will get there!

• 11 months later...