Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Just now, casajayo said:

my assumption is that by the time they have the first full list of acceptances, the oop invites are maxed out, and the people on the waitlist as an oop likely have higher scores than waitlisted IP applicants for the most part - so if an oop spot becomes available, then the next person with the highest score is likely another oop.. does that make sense?

i dont think there are reserved spots for OOP, i think they just make the ranked list and then send initial offers and waitlist offers accordingly and once the max number of OOP seats have been filled they dont send any more OOP offers

TIME STAMP: 11:50am PST

Result: Accepted to IMP (first choice)

Early or Regular Deadline: Regular
AGPA: ~87%
MCAT: 527
ECs: Diverse experiences including leadership experience and working with marginalized populations 
Geography: IP
Interview: Really didn't know how I did, apparently good enough!

1 minute ago, casajayo said:

my assumption is that by the time they have the first full list of acceptances, the oop invites are maxed out, and the people on the waitlist as an oop likely have higher scores than waitlisted IP applicants for the most part - so if an oop spot becomes available, then the next person with the highest score is likely another oop.. does that make sense?

I'm fairly sure this is the case too.  That's why the OOP candidates move a lot more on the WL than IP candidates. 

FYI:

Waitlisted

OOP

Timestamp: 2:11 EST.

12:25 PM PST

Result: Accepted (VFMP)

AGPA: 88.5%

EC: Huge focus on computer science/programming. No research

MCAT: 522

Interview: Last year I literately misinterpreted more than 1/2 the stations and was a nervous wreck. This year, I practiced a lot, took a 5 hour energy before the interview, and tried to be as authentic as I possibly could. In terms of how I think I did, I personally thought I did very well since I was authentic and was able to convey my thoughts and ideas coherently. I came out of the interview not being able to remember 1/2 the stations and now I can barely remember any. Everything just became a blur.

Special thanks to everyone who practiced with me for the interview! Without you guys I would not have received this offer.

For those wondering..

TIME STAMP: 11:50am PST

Result: Accepted, IMP (first choice)

AGPA: ~85
MCAT: 516
ECs: national level athlete, worked in health care, long term commitments as a board member and director of non profit clubs. Volunteered with disadvantaged groups and kids for 7+ years.
Interview: no idea, felt really good on some and horrible on others. Overall I've been told I'm pretty personable though so I think that helped. I did zero prep. Zero. I skimmed an ethics book, but other than that, nada.

This wss my 5th year applying, first interview. All I can say for those trying to get in, live your life and don't slave away trying to be who you think they want. I chose my plan B career and I think my experiences from this really helped my application, but more importantly I was happy with my life and career. Never expected to get in, I've been rejected so many times! So keep on the grind, and one day it'll happen :)

TIME STAMP: 12:25 PST

Result: Accepted to VFMP

AGPA: ~85%
MCAT: 512
ECs: Diverse and long-term commitments, volunteering, clubs, sports, 2+ years working in clinical research

Fourth time applying and third time interviewing. When I found these forums ~ 6 years ago, I recall being overwhelmed by how incredible applicants were - with GPAs way higher than mine, and incredible extracurricular activities. I must say that I have this community to thank for all of the education and sharing that I've found helpful on my journey.

To all those not receiving the news you were hoping today, I've been there and it hurts. Don't give up if it's what you truly want. Persistence is key! :) 

I CAN'T EVEN BELIEVE IT!

TIME STAMP: 12:25 pm PST

Result: Accepted to Vancouver (first choice)

AGPA: ~88 (B.A. Psychology and Visual Art)
MCAT: 520
ECs: Older applicant, and I've been volunteering since I was 12 so pretty extensive volunteer experience. Lots with mental health, kids, marginalized groups and leadership roles.
Interview: I felt pretty good about all of it. 

This was my 4th time applying to UBC, and first time interviewing there. It's my home and I am still actively involved in volunteer work there. After 3 outright rejections, I almost didn't apply again to UBC this year - clearly, they weren't interested in me, since I have never gotten an interview invite and fair enough, I am an atypical applicant. But I always thought if only they would give me a chance to stand up and tell them what makes me a fit ... well, I finally got the chance. It's my "white whale." --- All I can say is, don't give up. Nothing worth achieving in life comes easy. Keep trying and pursue what makes you feel meaningful in the meantime. If you persist, anything can happen. 

Edit on request - my scores from last year (NAQ likely increased): 

AQ: 23.08

NAQ: 30.00

Edited by kathbro2
Requested info

TIME STAMP: 10:28am PST

Result: Rejected

AGPA: ~86
MCAT: 510
ECs: non-traditional. Long-term International volunteering with some clinal things.
Interview: Below Average

AQ: 25

NAQ: 31

Rejected Pre-interview last the year:

AQ: 17

NAQ: 30

Result: Rejected

AGPA: ~86% (25)
MCAT: 501

NAQ: 31

Interview: Above Average

I'm assuming it's the MCAT score. I just wrote it again last year and got a 507, but a 123 in CARS, so the score wasn't eligible. They had to end up using my old one, which was a 501. 

Re-writing the MCAT again this summer. Do you think itll raise a red flag?

TIME STAMP: 12:25pm PST

Result: Accepted to VFMP (first choice)

AGPA: ~90
MCAT: 516 (126 CARS)
ECs: mentioned on interview invites thread

Graduated with BSc

last years stats (rejected pre-interview):

AGPA: 87.1

AQ: 26

NAQ: 23

last year was my first time applying (to ubc and some eastern schools) and i didnt receive any interviews. i applied to the same schools this year and got 2 interviews, with UBC's interview being my first ever MMI. let this be hope for all the people out there who felt crappy about their interview.. i was disappointed in myself and legit expected a hard rejection. honestly its been a long road to get here with 3 straight summers of MCAT attempts to not bomb CARS, and i'm so grateful to accept this offer :) 

AGPA: ~ low eighties
MCAT: Old MCAT = 34, New MCAT (old expired) 520 (130 CARS)
ECs: Non-trad, lots of research, lots of volunteerism with youth leadership group

Academic history: Weird applicant - BSc x 2 (one in psychology, super low GPA; one in biology w/ honors, A-average), MSc. completed.  

last years stats (rejected pre-interview):

AGPA: 82.23

AQ: 18.75

NAQ: 33.90

Big changes between last year and this year: 

- Rewrote MCAT, bumped score considerably

- Obtained way better reference letters

AGPA: ~84 (completed masters)
MCAT: 516 (130 CARS)
ECs: 5 years of research (2 pubs), average volunteering (1 long term), and plenty of other hobbies

Interview: I walked away feeling fine about it, nothing awful, nothing spectacular - most stations felt like a conversation and I really just tried to be myself

I'm so incredibly excited to be offered this position! This is my third time applying, my first interview, and I was starting to think it was impossible. Reading through these threads of the people getting in with lower than average gpa's was so so helpful in giving me hope and I'm really grateful people do so!

TIME STAMP: 12:25pm

Acceptance/Waitlist/Rejection: Accepted to VFMP (first choice)
AGPA: ~85% (mother of all upward grade trends though)
MCAT: 512
ECs: Extensive and diverse. 5 years research experience in various settings (wetlab, clinical, and bioinformatics; 4 conference presentations and 1 pub; several research awards and grants including NSERC); volunteering (hundreds of hours between hospital ER, HIV/AIDS foundation, kid clubs, summer camps); lots of travel and international experience, athletics (provincial level gymnast, won a half-marathon, martial arts); leadership (founded an AMS club, residence advising, peer tutoring); grew up rural so lots of rural exposure; currently work for the one of the UBC Faculty of Medicine's research & education departments.
Interview: I felt very confident in my interview in that I was able to communicate who I was effectively and connect with all the interviewers. 

Let it not be said that mediocre grades/MCAT will prevent you from getting into med. You just really have to make up for it in other areas; in my case the NAQ and interview!

12:25 PM PST

Result: Accepted (VFMP)

AGPA: 89.3%

EC: Diverse, lots of hospital volunteering, working with at risk populations, food bank volunteering, customer service/operations business experience, teaching free science courses, travelling, hobbies,  LOTS of sports. No Research. PM if you would like a detailed overview :)

MCAT: 514 (125 CARS)

Interview: Practiced a lot. Initially felt very good about the interview after completing it, but doubted my answers in a few stations in the weeks to come. Overall, most stations felt very comfortable and conversational.

TIME STAMP: 12:25pm pst

Acceptance/Waitlist/Rejection: ACCEPTED VFMP!!! (1st choice)

AGPA: 90
MCAT: 512 (127/127/129/129)
ECs: Nothing spectacular. Added events from personal/family life that have really shaped who I am and what kind of doctor I want to be. 
Interview: 2nd time interviewing at UBC. Felt much more comfortable than last year, but still there were about 4-5 stations I agonized over for months (not a healthy habit and we shouldn't do this to ourselves but oh well.. :)  )

This year has been one of much uncertainty, hopefulness, hopelessness, frustration, and battery of every other humanly possible emotion we go through in this process...  I am so grateful for & humbled by this acceptance.

I scored below average interview last cycle at UBC, so I really focused on trying to improve on that starting May 2017 when I received my rejection. I made changes, albeit small, to my daily routine (eg podcast for morning commute) and found ways to take better care of myself emotionally and physically, which helped me stay positive and confident throughout these gruelling months. For those who received rejections and others who will be applying this upcoming cycle, if you ever need any support or have any questions, I'd love to help out wherever I can. I had lots of support from friends as well as total strangers I met on premed 101 who offered their time & insight for like nothing in return, so I promised myself I'd pass it on when I get in. Shoot me a PM! I would be more than happy to share tips for interviews/app writing. 

See you guys in August!!

6th time applying, 3rd time interviewing, still in shock to be posting this...

Time Stamp: 12:25 PST

Accepted, VFMP (first choice)
AGPA: 86.55%
MCAT: 512 (balanced, 129 CARS)
ECs: Student government, orientations leader, crisis line volunteer, volunteering with various charities, hospital, lab assistant at various research labs (paid), CIHR funding for a summer, working at a gas station, currently working as a policy analyst for government, and a few very random but unique hobbies (honestly could have either really helped or not counted for anything, they're pretty out there)
Year: BSc completed 2013, Master's completed 2016, currently working full-time
Interview: Honestly felt like the best interview I've ever had, and I've done 12 (!) of them in the past 5 years. I walked out of every station this year feeling pretty good, and knew I absolutely nailed at least two of them (the acting station went almost perfectly, and there was one where I really felt I connected with the interviewer). There were some that were probably average, but I didn't feel like I bombed any of them - which was a first. Usually I walk out of them unsure and crossing my fingers that things worked out (it never did), this time was completely different.

Stats from last year:

NAQ: 29.00
AQ: 25.58
TFR: 54.58
Interview: Below Average (below average the year before as well)

I feel so blessed to have finally received an acceptance to a Canadian medical school. I've been applying for years now, and have been given so many opportunities - which I always ended up blowing. I've interviewed at UBC the past 3 years, but I've interviewed at Calgary, McMaster, Alberta, and Saskatchewan (I had a really high old MCAT score) over the years. May has consistently been the worst month of the year for me, and last year was especially awful because I spent a lot of time practicing - every week for a couple hours since the previous summer - and still received a rejection. That was a pretty low point in my life tbh.

The practice did help, but I think the thing really holding me back was my lack of maturity. I had always been very academically focused, and to be honest hadn't really had a chance to live a life. I think doing that the past few years - falling in love, going to bars with friends, arguing about politics, moving to my own place and dealing with laundry and dinner - has really helped me grow as a person, and I think permanently changed who I am. I went into each of those stations as if I was talking to my girlfriend about an interesting topic over lunch. I had fully formed opinions and thoughts on subjects because I'd argued about these things over beer with friends (and on reddit). I'd had cool experiences to talk about not just from volunteer activities, but also from disagreements with a roommate or co-workers, or from moving across the country for a master's program.

Anyway, wanted to get that off my chest. This year really did feel different, and I'm glad it ended up being different. I interviewed at Calgary as well this year but felt terrible after (question style is very different from UBC imo, which I focused my preparation for), and got a rejection. I also interviewed at a US school and received an acceptance, but the tuition kind of terrifies me so I was still really stressed out this week.

To those who didn't get an offer this year, trust me when I say I know how it feels. I've had a lot of experience trying to improve my application over the years, so if anyone wants some advice, or even just to chat or rant, please reach out through PM. This process really involves a lot of luck, and there are so many amazing people who don't get accepted every year. If you really want this, it'll happen eventually.

1 hour ago, jfdes said:

6th time applying, 3rd time interviewing, still in shock to be posting this...

Time Stamp: 12:25 PST

Accepted, VFMP (first choice)
AGPA: 86.55%
MCAT: 512 (balanced, 129 CARS)
ECs: Student government, orientations leader, crisis line volunteer, volunteering with various charities, hospital, lab assistant at various research labs (paid), CIHR funding for a summer, working at a gas station, currently working as a policy analyst for government, and a few very random but unique hobbies (honestly could have either really helped or not counted for anything, they're pretty out there)
Year: BSc completed 2013, Master's completed 2016, currently working full-time
Interview: Honestly felt like the best interview I've ever had, and I've done 12 (!) of them in the past 5 years. I walked out of every station this year feeling pretty good, and knew I absolutely nailed at least two of them (the acting station went almost perfectly, and there was one where I really felt I connected with the interviewer). There were some that were probably average, but I didn't feel like I bombed any of them - which was a first. Usually I walk out of them unsure and crossing my fingers that things worked out (it never did), this time was completely different.

Stats from last year:

NAQ: 29.00
AQ: 25.58
TFR: 54.58
Interview: Below Average (below average the year before as well)

I feel so blessed to have finally received an acceptance to a Canadian medical school. I've been applying for years now, and have been given so many opportunities - which I always ended up blowing. I've interviewed at UBC the past 3 years, but I've interviewed at Calgary, McMaster, Alberta, and Saskatchewan (I had a really high old MCAT score) over the years. May has consistently been the worst month of the year for me, and last year was especially awful because I spent a lot of time practicing - every week for a couple hours since the previous summer - and still received a rejection. That was a pretty low point in my life tbh.

The practice did help, but I think the thing really holding me back was my lack of maturity. I had always been very academically focused, and to be honest hadn't really had a chance to live a life. I think doing that the past few years - falling in love, going to bars with friends, arguing about politics, moving to my own place and dealing with laundry and dinner - has really helped me grow as a person, and I think permanently changed who I am. I went into each of those stations as if I was talking to my girlfriend about an interesting topic over lunch. I had fully formed opinions and thoughts on subjects because I'd argued about these things over beer with friends (and on reddit). I'd had cool experiences to talk about not just from volunteer activities, but also from disagreements with a roommate or co-workers, or from moving across the country for a master's program.

Anyway, wanted to get that off my chest. This year really did feel different, and I'm glad it ended up being different. I interviewed at Calgary as well this year but felt terrible after (question style is very different from UBC imo, which I focused my preparation for), and got a rejection. I also interviewed at a US school and received an acceptance, but the tuition kind of terrifies me so I was still really stressed out this week.

To those who didn't get an offer this year, trust me when I say I know how it feels. I've had a lot of experience trying to improve my application over the years, so if anyone wants some advice, or even just to chat or rant, please reach out through PM. This process really involves a lot of luck, and there are so many amazing people who don't get accepted every year. If you really want this, it'll happen eventually.

I'm so happy for you and I hope to one day post that I have been accepted. Your perseverance is inspiring. Going to rely a lot on the stories of you and others like you who have been rejected multiple times and finally received acceptances...  congratulations, it is well deserved!

TIME STAMP: 11:50am 

Acceptance/Waitlist/Rejection:  accepted IMP (2nd choice)

AGPA: ~89
MCAT: 518 (132/127/128/131)
ECs: i would guess it was pretty average. Wouldn't say I have anything that is amazing. Some long term commitments and focus on my hobbies. 
Interviewfirst time applying and first time interviewing but I thought the interview went really well!

even though IMP was my second choice I'm still really excited about moving to Victoria! I was torn between VFMP and IMP, but super happy one of them worked out :)