Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Result: Accepted VFMP (1st choice)

Geography: IP

Early or Regular Deadline: Regular
Timestamp: 10:55 AM PST 
GPA: ~90%

EC's - Several hundred hours of community volunteer work (hospital, advocacy, etc - not too much variety but dedicated a lot of hours to each activity). Extensive research hours (numerous publications). Miscellaneous activities (played an instrument, random hobbies). Employment included tutoring young kids and working with university students with learning disabilities. No significant awards. 

MCAT: 515 (126 CARS)

Interview: Completely misunderstood the prompt for one room (interviewer let me restart after he clarified), and had lukewarm answers for one other room. Writing station was meh. Felt great for all the other rooms - two of the interviewers actually commented that my answer was excellent at the end of the 7 minutes. 

Year: 3rd year BSc

Result: Waitlisted

Timestamp: 7:58 AM PST 
aGPA: 85%
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 513 (Don't remember the breakdown)
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): UG 2015

ECs: ~35-37 NAQ last year

Interview: It was way worse than my interview last year (Below average) when I practiced 200-300 hours.

After 5 years of applying and 3 interviews I managed to get into the waitlist. I'm not really sure how it happened. The interview was a disaster. I had mentally completely moved on from this career path and this is my last application. This was the first cycle where I kinda forgot about results day so the email was a bit of a surprise this morning. I walked out of my interview telling myself this is probably the last time I'll ever walk through these halls. I am surprised, and very grateful and happy I've made it this far.

Good luck to everyone on the waitlist and to those re-applying next year! Practice hard for the interview!

Result:   Accepted SMP (first choice)

Current Degree: B. SC. (Honours) 2020  

Timestamp: 11:10 AM
GPA: 86%

EC's - Hospital volunteering, lab volunteer, volunteer trip to South America, high performance sports for 7+ years, numerous volunteer roles within sports,  interests (scuba diving, traveling) etc. Filled out high performance sections with sports achievements from high school. Filled all sections except for the research section as I have no publications/presentations. Also filled out all sections for rural remote suitability.  

MCAT: 519 (129 CARS)
Interview: I felt bad about maybe 1-2 stations. I felt great about 2-3 and thought the rest went ok.  

First time applicant and extremely grateful to have been accepted. 

21 minutes ago, Aryanenzo said:

Interview: It was way worse than my interview last year (Below average) when I practiced 200-300 hours.

After 5 years of applying and 3 interviews I managed to get into the waitlist. I'm not really sure how it happened. The interview was a disaster. I had mentally completely moved on from this career path and this is my last application. This was the first cycle where I kinda forgot about results day so the email was a bit of a surprise this morning. I walked out of my interview telling myself this is probably the last time I'll ever walk through these halls. I am surprised, and very grateful and happy I've made it this far.

Good luck to everyone on the waitlist and to those re-applying next year! Practice hard for the interview!

I remember reading your posts over the years. You work so hard. I really really hope you get in. I wish you good news and the best of luck! 

Result:   Accepted VFMP (first choice)!!!!

Degree: BScHK 2019

Timestamp: 10:55 AM
GPA: 92%

EC's - Varsity athlete, camp counselor, mentor, tutor, special olympics, outdoors experiences. Extensive research(350+hours), national presentation. 

MCAT: 515 (129/128/128/130) 

Interview: One station felt awful, one felt great, the rest felt decent but I wasn’t sure how I did. 

Second time applicant. Was rejected from FIVE schools post-interview last year, below average interviews at every one. My mom died a month before the rejections and it was a really tough few months. As devastating as this was, this past year allowed me to explore new passions, learn a lot about myself and become more confident about speaking about everything I had experienced! 

If you didn’t hear the news you wanted today, have faith that everything will work out eventually. Weaknesses can be turned into strengths with enough time and practice! 

Result:   Accepted VFMP (first choice)!!!!

Degree: BKin 2020

AGPA: ~91%

EC's - research co-ops, presentation at a national research conference, personal trainer, day camp leader, extensive first aid volunteer experiences, also included information about my involvement in soccer, dance and piano  

MCAT: 514 (128/128/128/130) 

Interview: I felt like I absolutely bombed a station! I thought the acting stations went well and the rest felt okay. Very surprised and feeling grateful to have been accepted!! 

Second application and first interview. 

Result: Accepted VFMP (first choice)!
aGPA: 85/86%
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 517 (128 CARS)
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): BSc 2019
ECs: ~25 NAQ last year, but had written things completely wrong (talked about how I felt rather than what I did). Was rejected pre-interview last year. A mostly complete rewrite saw me bumped up the necessary points to get an interview invitation!
Interview: I'd always thought that I was a good interviewer, but practicing with some of my friends who were also applying this year... really showed me that I was weak, if anything. So, I practiced lots. When I came out of the interview, however, I felt pretty bad and that all my practicing had gone to waste. They even played that video in the info session of "what it was like to receive an acceptance email", and I kept thinking to myself that half of the people of the room (most likely including myself as well), were not going to receive an acceptance email this year. Anyway, it somehow worked out!  Super thankful to be starting this year! :)

Result:   Accepted VFMP (First Choice)

Geography: OOP 

Degree: BHSc (3rd Year)

Timestamp: 1:55 AM
GPA: 94%

EC's - One publication, several conference presentations. 1000+ hours at a local charity. Lots of global health experience. Martial arts. And some other regular stuff too. 

MCAT: 520 (131/130/130/129) 

Interview: One station felt like a train wreck (the interviewer seemed in a rush to leave). The rest went decent to well!  

15 hours ago, Aryanenzo said:

I'm really hoping you get off the waitlist this year!! Good luck :)

Result: Accepted

Geography: IP

Early or Regular Deadline: Regular

Timestamp: Around 10 AM

aGPA: 85 - 89%

MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 510 - 515 (DM for detailed stats if you'd like)

Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): Healthcare professional degree.

ECs: The highlight of my ECs were a high number of paid employment hours in various roles.

I also highlighted lived experiences that were unique to me and spoke to my narrative as not just a premed, but as a human being. I would have never imagined being in this privileged position to apply even after graduating. This was something I thought was reserved for the likes of superstars with 4.0 GPAs who were prepared to do this from day 1 of undergrad.

UBC understands this and I’m so happy to be accepted to a school that acknowledges not everyone necessarily fits the same mould. If you’re in a position of wondering if you’re good enough, believe me – you are. Be unapologetically you in this process, our country needs diversity and representation in this career to be able to do justice to the folks that we are all going to be helping as patients.

Interview: Thought it was a decent performance but there were definitely stations where I thoroughly messed up. Ultimately left feeling like I gave it my best shot and it became a blur, in contrast to last year when I interviewed and ruminated on the stations for months on end.

I took a significantly more conversational approach this year and had some good discussions with my interviewer on certain stations. Try to envision that the person in front of you is a family member or a friend. It’s easy to think of them as a harsh assessor who’s trying to dock as many points as possible. At the interview stage though, everyone is already tremendously qualified and if anything, the interviewers WANT you to get in. Be friendly and human; read up and broaden your horizons if you’ve mostly focused on pure science throughout your undergrad; talk about social and healthcare issues with your family and friends!

Other thoughts: I never thought I would be writing this post-acceptance post so soon. I was rejected with a below average NAQ and AQ last year and an average interview. The day of the result, I was fully prepared to tell myself that I would be applying three more times before I gave up.

I am a nontrad applicant who didn’t have full family buy in at first. Thankfully, they have turned around 180 degrees and are fully supportive now of my choice to pursue this career. It wasn’t easy to be in this privileged position, when I always doubted myself and never imagined that I’d ever be “good enough” to get in. It took me a long time to realize that this process is more about just getting in – if anything, it humbles us all to become more empathetic and better physicians. It is a hard journey with many bumps and hurdles no doubt about it, but we’re pretty in a dang good position in life if the greatest of our worries is whether we get into med school.

The years in between of “waiting for an acceptance” may feel painful at times, but through my conversations with friends, I’ve also realized that this has been a time of tremendous joy for many. People I know personally have found their partners, completed ultramarathons, travelled the world, explored our country in depth, and helped countless patients in various other professional roles in the interim years.

Please remember that a rejection doesn’t define you as a human being. The people who are proud of you are proud of you either way. The positive impact you’ve made upon the world didn’t diminish overnight. All of that – that you, who is 100% deserving of this, remains. Life is a journey and if you endure to fight for the privilege to become a physician, you will no doubt get it. The saying really is true – “it’s a matter of when, not if.”

It’s also easy for us to glorify this profession and think that it’s the be all end all of life when every ounce of our self-worth feels predicated on this decision. At the same time, take the time to step away from ruminating over this process. Our mark on the world doesn’t come solely from becoming a physician – there are so many paths out there. Who’s to say that the next Nikola Tesla isn’t among us? Keep this dream close to your heart, but realize that you might find an even better fit in the process.

Long-time lurker of this forum and I'm super excited to be able to contribute finally!

Result: Accepted VFMP (1st choice)

Timestamp: 10:59 AM

aGPA: ~86%

MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 512 (129/125/130/128)

Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): BSc 2018

ECs: a mix of traditional (hospital/residential home volunteering, youth mentoring) and non-traditional, which I think was the strongest part of my application. I really tried to make my ECs tell a story, added in entries that encompassed my life in an immigrant family and spending 15+ years helping out a family-owned business. Also added work experience (retail, co-op biotech), research (co-op, directed studies, no pubs) and hobbies/lifestyle (weight training, hiking). I also actually went back to school and did a lab tech program as a gap year after graduating. A very productive use of time if you're looking for a back-up plan- I think it really helped me with my nerves and mentality this cycle too as I knew i had a different career to fall back on. 

Interview: Actually left the interview thinking I had a lot of fun. I treated every station like it was a conversation with someone I was getting to know and it felt so much more natural that way. Thought I bombed the writing station and a couple of others but generally felt like the interviewers were really engaging! Of course I then got skeptical about the confidence and started over-thinking and cringing at all of my answers and psyched myself out the past 3 months. 

This was my 3rd application, rejected pre-interview the first two times (1st attempt: AQ 17.29, NAQ 28.54,  2nd attempt:  AQ 22.98, NAQ 26.53). Between my 1st-2nd application, I mostly kept my NAQ entries the same, but added some activities and increased some hours. I was hoping that with my eligibility for aGPA, it would be enough to bring me over cut-off. Naturally, I was devastated to find out my NAQ actually dropped 2 points despite adding entries. On this recent application, I changed all the wording on everything! Looked up the CanMEDS framework and structured my entries around the competencies (buzzwords, buzzwords!), which I highly recommend.

Always felt so mediocre compared to people with 90+ averages and 520 MCATs, I knew i was never going to be someone like that. I was worried my stats were too average but I'm glad UBC accounts for everything you've done in your life to lead you here. To those of you who didn't get the news you wanted, just keep at it! Your hard work and perseverance will pay off. And to everyone who is accepted, I am stoked to meet you this year! :)

Result: Regrets After Interview

Timestamp: 7:05 am PST
AGPA: 88%  

NAQ score: 75th-100th Percentile 

EC's - 4th year UG. Bunch of athletic stuff, some work in public health and other things I'm proud of.

MCAT: 518 (127 CARS RIP)
Interview: Below Average Interview. two stations were rough the other ones were oooook and a couple I felt good about.

Honestly I'm gutted. Does anyone have any advice? It was my first MMI ever and I felt okay walking out of it and in practice... must have really messed up here though :/

Result: Accepted VFMP 

Geography: OOP

Timestamp: 1:55PM EST 
GPA: ~92.3%

EC's - Diverse and long term.

MCAT: 516

Interview: 4 Qs were excellent, 2 Qs were good, 1 Q was poor, and the rest were mediocre. Writing station was mediocre as well.  

3rd application cycle. 3rd interview. 1st acceptance. 

I'm excited to meet you all post C19! Stay safe everyone. 

I'm not really keen on adding my stats, but would like to share some advice for people who may have struggled with the interview

Last year, I got regrets post interview with ~58 TFR, below average interview. A friend of mine with similar MCAT, TFR score and also a below average interview got Waitlisted, so I suspect that my interview was on the low end of below average. I was crushed because I left the interview feeling super confident, thought I had prepared as well as I possibly could have and got tons of good feedback from those who I had practiced with. Like all of you, I had been told what interviewers are looking for in prospective students - ethics, empathy, etc. I had no idea where I could have improved. After thinking for a while, I felt that the reason I may have done poorly was that I was too focused on having the right answer for everything. I had spent hours researching and discussing my thoughts on everything that I thought could possibly come up in the interview. I felt like I already had the best answer for everything and may have forgotten or been unable to discuss and show my understanding, and I think this is where I went wrong

I rewrote the MCAT in the summer (scored better and raised my CARS score 3 points so I could apply to other schools), but other than that, my application barely changed

This cycle, the focus was on my presentation skills. I practiced with a colleague who had lots of experience with interviews, who wasn't afraid to tell me when my language and arguments were disorganized, unclear, or missing connecting points. I realized my speaking skills weren't as strong as I had thought, I had to practice making my sentences strong, logical and to the point - something I had never critiqued myself on in the past. I also joined a toastmasters club (which I would highly recommend to anyone wanting to improve for next year) where I could make mistakes, get real feedback, and fall on my face without the worry of anyone's opinions. When I practiced MMI questions, I wasn't focused on my answer, but instead how I organized my thoughts in a way that I could present them in a clear way that made sense to me (trial and error). Although I did keep up with current events, I entered this year's interview feeling less prepared than last year, but felt like this let me be more genuine and thoughtful in the moment, and helped me to connect with the interviewers better. I left the interview content and more like I had just finished having conversations with strangers rather than feeling that I had proven myself like I felt last year. Although I don't know my interview score, by getting in I can safely say that it was much better than last year

For those of you who have been through the process and can't seem to figure out how to get past the interview stage, I would recommend approaching your interview prep in a different way. We all have different strengths and weaknesses, and I was completely oblivious to my own until I explored a bit and prepared in a "less conventional" way. If anyone wants to know anything else- feel free to DM me!

Result:  Accepted VFMP 

Timestamp: May 13th, 10:55 AM

Degree: BSc Honours (and an Arts Diploma from years ago)

Early or Regular Deadline: Regular (I really don't think this matters as long as you sign up for your interview right away)

AGPA: ~88%

MCAT: 512

EC's: Many long-term work experiences. Worked directly with clients with disabilities, worked in a doctor's office, had many other jobs as well. Honours research and 2 poster presentations. Executive Member of 2 university clubs, event first aid volunteer experiences, 2 years non-profit volunteering, 3 years hospital volunteering, also included information about my involvement in musical theatre, other hobbies and travel. 

Interview: This interview felt really good overall. I did not feel like I had a bad station and I enjoyed the shorter writing station. I'm happy to provide insight on some of the strategies that worked for me.

I submitted many medical school applications over the years to schools across Canada. I wrote the MCAT multiple times. I did CASPER many times. I did 3 applications to UBC Med and had 3 interviews at UBC and an out of province interview.

UBC 2018: Regrets after interview.

UBC 2019: Waitlisted. I was dreading looking at other options but I was also getting so tired of the application process. 

UBC 2020: Accepted. Third time was the charm for me! I cannot believe I have been accepted and it really did feel as good as I had dreamed it would. If you want to message me with questions please feel comfortable to reach out. Keep in mind that myself and the other people who were accepted do not know what the admissions team really wants. We can only share our experiences and give our best guesses. I really think there is some luck involved. The application process is extremely competitive and I know so many people who would have made fantastic doctors who didn't get in. If you think medicine is what you really want make sure you ask yourself why. If this process is getting to be too much and you just really want to help people there are other options in health care... nursing, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, respiratory therapy, pharmacy, physicians assistant, counselling etc. That being said I am thrilled that I didn't give up and I feel that medicine is the right fit for me.

Those in-between years can also be a really amazing and powerful time. Make sure you are filling your time with activities you enjoy and not just doing things that will look good on your application. Life is too short for that.  I had jobs I loved and that gave me new insights into myself and others. I also had time to travel and for my hobbies and friends. I don't regret that it took me a few tries to get into medical school because now I am so ready to take on this journey. I am honoured to be a part of the Class of 2024!

On 5/13/2020 at 1:00 PM, Ginny Midgeon said:

Result: Accepted NMP

Geography: In province

Timestamp: 9:51AM

AQ score: 18.xx (Waitlisted last year)

NAQ score: 38.x (Waitlisted last year)

EC's: Varied, long-term. Hobbies, volunteer work, employment. Non-trad applicant. PM for more details if interested

MCAT: <510

Interview: Felt great coming out. Got Average last year and was waitlisted. Definitely started doubting myself the last few days leading up to results, and was sure I would get waitlisted again this year. 

I cannot believe it. This has been a very long journey for me. This was my 3rd application and 3rd interview. I'm thinking of sharing my non-trad story at a later time. To those who did not receive the news you were hoping for: keep at it, and don't ever give up if it's what you really want. 

Congratulations! I would love to read your story later. I am on the waitlist for the first time and ranked NMP first. 

Result:   Accepted VFMP!!

Degree: Super non-trad. Fine arts undergraduate degree & masters

GPA: unsure. 4.0 GPA - don't have the percentage on my application? 

EC's - Many varied ECs. Longterm involvement in the arts; TA; clinic volunteer; mentor; tutoring. DM me for details. 0 research/publications. 

MCAT: 517 (130/126/131/130) 

Interview: Thought the writing went well. One station felt awful, a couple felt quite solid. Most felt okay...Quite introverted and interviewing is not my strength. 

So excited to finally post here!!!  4th cycle (1st at UBC). Pretty sure my ECs and GPA carried me through an average interview. As a non-trad this has been a long road, but I am here to emphasize that it is possible!! Happy to chat about my journey...I have lurked this forum for years, so wanted to give back with my stats. 

Long time lurker, first time poster lol! Sorry if it's a little late, just overwhelmed!

AGPA: 89% (last year's score)

AQ: 28.97 (last year's score)

NAQ: 29.33 (last year's score)

EC's -  Mainly volunteered throughout the school year with clubs, as well as some within the community. Lots of research. Listed a lot of hobbies as well (mainly music, scuba diving, etc). Worked in a few research labs as well as in a pharmacy.

MCAT: 511 

Interview: Felt better than last year's, but was still unsure after finishing. Few stations I still cringe thinking about it lol. I liked the writing station being part of the mmi circuit rather than being after. 

Year: BSc 2017

This was my 4th application cycle, and 4th interview, after being waitlisted last year. Definitely was going to be my last time applying, so glad it all worked out!

On 5/18/2020 at 10:21 PM, ShadesofCyan said:

At this point all that they have told us is that the first 2 weeks will be online. I am really hoping the whole year will not be online but I don't think anyone can predict what will happen.

Across UBC all large classes are going to be online, with some select small classes in person for the fall term at a minimum. They’re working on figuring out if portions can be done in person, like small group work. But at minimum no lectures in person until January. Bonnie Henry has said there will likely be no gatherings of > 50 people until there’s a vaccine or sufficient immunity to the coronavirus, so it could be awhile. It’s possible there will be more opportunities for in person work at the sites where the class size is ~32, although I suspect if one site can’t gather for lectures, then they won’t have any sites gather for lectures.

On 5/18/2020 at 9:39 PM, keiko88 said:

Result:   Accepted VFMP!!

Degree: Super non-trad. Fine arts undergraduate degree & masters

GPA: unsure. 4.0 GPA - don't have the percentage on my application? 

EC's - Many varied ECs. Longterm involvement in the arts; TA; clinic volunteer; mentor; tutoring. DM me for details. 0 research/publications. 

MCAT: 517 (130/126/131/130) 

Interview: Thought the writing went well. One station felt awful, a couple felt quite solid. Most felt okay...Quite introverted and interviewing is not my strength. 

So excited to finally post here!!!  4th cycle (1st at UBC). Pretty sure my ECs and GPA carried me through an average interview. As a non-trad this has been a long road, but I am here to emphasize that it is possible!! Happy to chat about my journey...I have lurked this forum for years, so wanted to give back with my stats. 

Interesting journey :) What kind of fine arts degree did you do? Did you take any Science courses at all in your undergrad or masters?

On 5/19/2020 at 8:30 PM, Cetirizine2020 said:

Long time lurker, first time poster lol! Sorry if it's a little late, just overwhelmed!

AGPA: 89% (last year's score)

AQ: 28.97 (last year's score)

NAQ: 29.33 (last year's score)

EC's -  Mainly volunteered throughout the school year with clubs, as well as some within the community. Lots of research. Listed a lot of hobbies as well (mainly music, scuba diving, etc). Worked in a few research labs as well as in a pharmacy.

MCAT: 511 

Interview: Felt better than last year's, but was still unsure after finishing. Few stations I still cringe thinking about it lol. I liked the writing station being part of the mmi circuit rather than being after. 

Year: BSc 2017

This was my 4th application cycle, and 4th interview, after being waitlisted last year. Definitely was going to be my last time applying, so glad it all worked out!

WOW glad you made it in on your last attempt! Congratulations :)

This is my first year applying and I'm really excited to still be under consideration.

Result: Waitlist

Update: accepted off the wait list may 27 to NMP (first choice)!

Geography: IP and I filled out the rural application. Have lived in small towns for almost 20 years.

Degree: Bachelor of Arts in Economics and Business Admin; 3-year communication design diploma

Timestamp: 7:58 AM PST 
GPA: ~82% or will be significantly higher if some of my 3-year communication design diploma grades were considered

EC's - I have been out of school for a long time. Worked as a graphic designer and communications / marketing consultant for over 10 years. Parent of 2 kids. Printmaking artist. Taught art classes to kids. Chair of school PAC. Co-founded parent travel website. Board member at sports organization. Learned a second language. Experiences living with marginalized populations. Worked at a remote location in rural BC. 17 work experience entries. Some 10+ year commitments. Lots of other stuff. 

MCAT: 509 (131 CARS)

Interview: Some went great, one I wish I could redo, so-so on a couple others.  I found the interviewers hard to read sometimes.

31 minutes ago, aldywood said:

This is my first year applying and I'm really excited to still be under consideration.

Result: Waitlist

Geography: IP and I filled out the rural application. Have lived in small towns for almost 20 years.

Degree: Bachelor of Arts in Economics and Business Admin; 3-year communication design diploma

Timestamp: 7:58 AM PST 
GPA: ~82% or will be significantly higher if some of my 3-year communication design diploma grades were considered

EC's - I have been out of school for a long time. Worked as a graphic designer and communications / marketing consultant for over 10 years. Parent of 2 kids. Printmaking artist. Taught art classes to kids. Chair of school PAC. Co-founded parent travel website. Board member at sports organization. Learned a second language. Experiences living with marginalized populations. Worked at a remote location in rural BC. 17 work experience entries. Some 10+ year commitments. Lots of other stuff. 

MCAT: 509 (131 CARS)

Interview: Some went great, one I wish I could redo, so-so on a couple others.  I found the interviewers hard to read sometimes.

Unique profile and lots of high points! I'm in your position too ( on the waitlist ).