Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Result: waitlist 

Geography: OOP

Early or Regular Deadline: Regular

Timestamp: 9:10AM PST

Degree: BMSc and MASc

AGPA: 89%

MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 513 (129/127/129/128) 

Interview: I actually felt like the interview went really well (other than the acting station which wasn't awful but def couldve been better).... pretty sure it was my GPA that was dragging me down 

28 minutes ago, crazycockatoo said:

Result: Accepted to VFMP 

Geography: IP (non-rural)

Timestamp: 8:15AM PST

Degree: BSc Microbiology & Immunology 2021

AGPA: 89.5%

MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 521 (132/128/132/129)

Interview: I felt like I did good on 7 stations, average on 2 and pretty bad on 1 station. My interviewers were all stone-faced so it was hard to gauge my performance. However I did practice 2 to 4 hours every day with my friends from interview invites day (Dec 18) to my interview day (Jan 30).

ECs: UBC Wesbrook Scholar, HSBC Emerging Leader Premier Undergraduate scholarship, several smaller academic scholarships, 128 hours volunteered at the crisis line, clinical research assistant for 2 years, volunteer psychology research assistant for 2.5 years, 2 NSERC USRAs, created community programs for refugee children and seniors funded with grants.

Congrats to everyone for making it this far! This was my 2nd application after being rejected pre-interview at UBC last year. Will be choosing UBC!

Congrats!!!! My ECs are similar to yours and will be applying for the first time this year - would you mind sharing what your GPA was the first time you applied? 

1 hour ago, JinoLino said:

Result: Rejected

Geography: IP (non-rural)

Timestamp: 8:56 PST

AGPA: 95.4

MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 523 (131/130/131/131)

Degree: BSc in Molecular Biochemistry

Interview: Below Average

ECs: 

0-25%

- with multiple volunteering positions

- consistent and diverse summer jobs

- no research

I guess it wasn't enough

Insight:  I'm disappointed but not overly shocked. My ECs are dragging me down. I felt like my interview was average or even above but that just shows that you never know.

Your academic background is very impressive. These posts really scare me since it shows you'll never know... Please keep going, with your stats you should get in eventually :)

Result: Accepted SMP! (first choice, since Kelowna is my hometown)

Geography: IP and I filled out the rural application. 

Degree: BSN, BSc 

Early or Regular Deadline: Regular.
Timestamp: 7:20am PST  
AGPA: ~95

EC's - varied. no research.

MCAT: 517 (129CP 126CARS 131BB 131PS)

Interview: no score (accepted my first cycle) tried not to ruminate about it. Prepped for about two weeks - my parents and sister hosted mock exams for me.

I have also been accepted to McGill, so i’m Currently trying to decide which program I should pursue. I have loooooved my education at ubc so far and i’m feeling pretty compelled to continue it.

Result: Accepted IMP (first choice, I live in Vic)

Geography: IP, rural application. 

Degree: BSN (2018)

Early or Regular Deadline: Regular.
Timestamp: 7:34am PST  
AGPA: ~91

EC's: lots of employment, volunteering as an RN, some research but no pubs. Message me if you want more info!

MCAT: 518 (129/129/130/130)

Interview: no score (accepted my first cycle) - I thought it went well but was definitely nervous! 

Will be declining U of A to accept this! So excited and I can’t wait to meet everyone! 

Congratulations on all the acceptances so far!!! Everyone is so incredible and I am so happy with everyone's results!!

First Cycle Applicant:

Result: Accepted - SMP! (2nd choice)

Early or Regular Deadline: Early

Timestamp: 10:06 AM PST

AGPA: 94.5%

MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 522 (131/129/132/130)

Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): 3rd Year Undergrad

Interview: (no score) I thought it went okay - some stations I laughed with interviewers, other stations felt cold, other stations I felt cornered by interviewers, and I totally bombed the acting station. Although, I actually got between 3-5 follow-ups consistently on every station.

ECs: No research - worked a lot in the university, mainly talked about small time volunteering and initiatives I started in my university and my passions. In terms of clinical hours, I had over 500 hours cumulative between high school and university at different hospitals working in patient care. Message me if you want to find out more info about being an OOP applicant!

So excited to meet the Class of 2025!!

Applied (2020-2021): UBC, UManitoba, Queens, McMaster, Ottawa, UFT, Dalhousie, MUN

Interviews (2020-2021): UBC, UManitoba, Queens, McMaster, Ottawa, MUN

Accepted (2020-2021): UBC, UManitoba, Queens (W), McMaster (W), Ottawa (W), MUN (W)

UBC Medicine Class of 2025

First Cycle Applicant

Result: Accepted to SMP!

Geography: IP

Early or Regular Deadline: Early

Timestamp: 7:20 AM PST

OGPA: ~92

MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 516 (130, 131, 126, 129) 

Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): BSc

ECs: Lots of community building volunteering, no research, first responder volunteering, some sports. 

Stoked to meet the rest of class 2025! 

Hoping this might help anyone who is wondering if their CARS might hold them back!

Result: Accepted VFMP (first choice)

Degree: BSc , graduated May 2021.

Early or Regular Deadline: Early
Timestamp: 8:15 AM PST
GPA: ~89.2%

EC's -  Two research awards, three service-type awards. No pubs. Mix of fairly cookie-cutter ECs and unique/long-term activities (4 of them were around 4-6 years). ~65 TFR last year.

MCAT: 514 (125 CARS!! was preparing to rewrite this)

Interview: got below average last year and didn't really know how to bounce back. This year I practised ~3x as much as last year, but I think I also went in with a more mature mindset too. Had 2 bad and 3 mediocre stations, the rest felt okay...

1 minute ago, inhaledinsult said:

Hoping this might help anyone who is wondering if their CARS might hold them back!

Result: Accepted VFMP (first choice)

Degree: BSc , graduated May 2021.

Early or Regular Deadline: Early
Timestamp: 8:15 AM PST
GPA: ~89.2%

EC's -  Two research awards, three service-type awards. No pubs. Mix of fairly cookie-cutter ECs and unique/long-term activities (4 of them were around 4-6 years). ~65 TFR last year.

MCAT: 514 (125 CARS!! was preparing to rewrite this)

Interview: got below average last year and didn't really know how to bounce back. This year I practised ~3x as much as last year, but I think I also went in with a more mature mindset too. Had 2 bad and 3 mediocre stations, the rest felt okay...

Hey congrats to your acceptance! Just wondering how did you know your TFR last year? You could only see the rough position on the scale bar isn't it?

Result: Accepted (VFMP)

Timestamp: 8:15AM

AGPA: 87.9%

MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 511 (128/126/128/129)

Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): completed a second undergrad

Interview: last two years have been waitlists with average interviews. This year went with more of a conversational approach so not sure if that helped. Felt okay about the interview, looking back at it, I still cringe lol.

ECs: 75-100th percentile last year. Diverse, long-term volunteer activities, research, interests/hobbies. 

This has been a long journey for me, but I am so glad that I stuck with it. I know many of you have probably heard this already but its not about if you'll get in but when. Be patient, continue to improve your application and don't be so hard on yourself. Feel free to DM me if you have any questions!

Congrats to those who got accepted!

Congrats to everyone for completing this long cycle!! I thought I'd post this for future reference even though it's a bit late- so excited to meet those in the incoming class!

Result: Accepted MD/PhD (VFMP)

Timestamp: Around the second week of March

AGPA: ~94%

MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 514 (131/126/129/128)

Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): BSc 2021

Interview: This was my first live interview and I honestly thought I bombed the acting station and one other station, with the rest being mostly average. It was hard to get a read on the interviewers, other than one where it felt like I had a really great conversation

ECs: Mentioned on previous posts, 0-25th percentile last cycle

It still hasn't fully hit me that I get to live the dream, so thankful for this community and all the best to everyone on each of their own paths!

Posting late, spent the last 24 hours crying/calling everyone I know/freaking out

Result: Accepted VFMP!!!!

Degree: BSc 2020

AGPA: 86%

MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 523 (132/129/132/130) 

Interview:  This was one of the only interviews where I had no idea how I did when I walked out. This was one of my first interviews so I was definitely nervous. Felt like there were lots of common themes between the questions so I found I was repeating myself a lot- was really worried about this immediately afterwards but later realized that there were different interviewers for each station and none of them had heard my previous answers so to them everything that I was saying was new (beauty of the MMI format). Thankfully the common themes were topics I had spent a lot of time studying/reading up on prior to the interview, so I was able to speak extensively about them and had strong opinions on all the issues. This was also something that worried me, as everything I had read online said "take a central stance, debate both sides, etc." but my approach was more of choose one side and stick to my guns. I did briefly discuss the merits of the opposing argument but always shut those merits down and finished with why my stance was the correct stance. In general I have very strong opinions and often debate social issues with my family/friends so I spoke from the heart and treated the topics like conversations I would have with my friends for fun. Didn't feel like I was able to talk about my personal experiences very much though, which is something else that worried me post-interview, but I guess they purposely set up the questions this way since they're trying to evaluate how you think, not your ability to regurgitate your experiences. Overall the common feedback I've gotten from friends/family/peers/fellow applicants I practiced with is that I speak quite passionately and honestly and I think that was my biggest strength with this interview.

Accepted my offer yesterday and can't wait to meet my classmates in August!

Result: Accepted VFMP

Timestamp: 8:15AM PST, May 14

Degree: BSc 2021

AGPA: ~91%

MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 516 (129/128/139/130) 

ECs: Very diverse but nothing too long term. Had a few entries with 500+ hours and a few with <100 hours. Not much clinical experience as I quit positions within a year, but stuck with some activities for 2-3 years. Had many scholarships and awards as well. Some research, but no publications.

Interview: I felt pretty good about my interview overall! I would say 2-3 went extremely well and 2-3 I felt pretty bad about. There was one that I felt like I bombed. I made sure to try to be myself and not overly professional or serious, etc. Most of my interviewers cracked a smile by the end of it. I did spend the last few months trying not to ruminate about my answers.

So grateful to have been accepted on my first application! Feeling so excited and nervous at the same time.

Result: accepted VFMP

Geography: IP & rural application

Degree: BSc

AGPA: 88

EC's - posters & presentations but no pubs, varied, long-term. most of my major commitments had overlapping themes.

MCAT: 518

Interview: out of my 15+ practice sessions, i would rank my actual interview was in my bottom 5. so weird how things work!

So excited to meet my classmates in August! Congrats to everyone! To those who didn't hear the results they wanted, ignore the noise around you of who got in/who didn't/who is doing what... Premeds are insufferable, focus on yourself

Result: Accepted MD (VFMP)

Timestamp: 8:15AM PST

AGPA: 92%

MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 517 (128/130/129/130)

Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): 3rd Year UG

Interview: I genuinely thought this was my worst interview out of all the schools I interviewed at. Had tech issues throughout the whole interview and cried after LOL. I also felt like some of my answers were too strong in arguing for one side but I guess it somehow worked out!

ECs: pretty generic but diverse; research but only poster presentation

I know this is a little late but I thought I would post for future reference having been a long timer lurker and having just accepted the offer:) Good luck to everyone on the waitlist and congrats to everyone on making it through this cycle! <3

Second Cycle Applicant:
Result: Accepted - VFMP (1st choice)
Geography: IP (not rural)
Timestamp: 8:15 AM PST May 14, 2021

AGPA: 86% I think? (not sure how it was calculated exactly because of COVID)
OGPA: 84.8% (feel free to message me if you want the grade breakdown for each undergrad year)
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 514 (129/126/128/131)
Current Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): Completed BSc (graduated May 2020)

Interview: (no score) All over the map imo - really vibed with some interviewers, had an interviewer stifle a yawn while I was mid-answer :blink:, another interviewer cornered me into feeling very awkward :unsure:. Right after the interview, I had felt alright, but began to over-analyze in the weeks following and convinced myself that I had gotten red flagged in the acting station. Had 2-3 follow-up questions per station, tried to bring up personal experiences whenever I could. In terms of interview prep, I was selective with who I practiced with and who I trusted. Tried to practice 4-5 days/week with 2-3 hour sessions. In my groups, we liked to take our time and thoroughly discuss questions and explore all perspectives. We sometimes would just end up chatting about a specific topic for an hour or two after practicing a question and didn't try to limit the time we spent discussing. It helped me to treat the interview similarly and approach it like a conversation rather than a presentation. My gap year also helped me gain a new level of maturity that most undergrads may not have; I believe this to have translated in my interview answers as well.

ECs: Research, stipends, conferences, and a first-author pub.
Significant team/leadership experience, employment history (both retail and study-related), recreational sports, mentoring/coaching, hospital volunteering, other community stuff

What I did differently: For my first application, I didn't receive an interview from any of the 4 Canadian medical schools I applied to. In my first time applying to UBC, my OGPA was 83% (I was applying with 3 years of undergrad, with two C+ grades in my third year) and NAQ was 50th - 74.99th percentile.

For my second application, I decided to only focus my energy on the UBC application and didn't apply to other schools because I realized UBC was my best chance as a BC resident. I was eligible for AGPA during my second application which must have helped secure an interview; I also filled out the "Additional Information" portion this time to explain my low grades in 3rd year. In my second application, I really worked hard to improve my non-academic activity descriptions by focusing on the impacts I had on the populations I was working with and tried not to be as list-y. I contemplated redoing my MCAT to improve my CARS, but ended up deciding against it since I didn't have an extra $300 to chuck at an MCAT. Overall, I appear much better in person than on paper, so securing an interview was the biggest hurdle for me.

Good luck to anyone who is still on the waitlist and for anyone who will be applying again! If you are in the same pickle as I was in and have a lower GPA, do not fret. Move forward, continue to learn, reflect, and improve on yourself. We all have different strengths, but also importantly, we all have faults and flaws. Don't beat yourself up for being human. ❤️

3rd Time interviewing at UBC

Result: Accepted SMP (3rd Choice)

Timestamp: 7:20am PST May 14 

Degree: BASc

AGPA: 85.61

OGPA: 83.12%

Both of these were calculated last year - nothing changed since

MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 510 (129/127/126/128) 

Interview: Went fairly well, except for the acting station. My main recommendation is just be comfortable and speak from the heart. Talk to your own personal experiences as much as possible and that should help with this

NAQ: (75th-100th percentile from last year) I have LOTS of eq's mostly community service, working with younger kids, coaching sports, working with vulnerable populations etc. I also have 2+ years of working full time in engineering and a small bit of research experience as well. Also a full year of Co-op work

I'm older (26) and my biggest piece of advice to anyone who thinks they don't have the grades or anything else to do it is just keep working at it, don't put your life on pause. My grades aren't super high, especially my MCAT score (took it thrice), But I kept working on other aspects of my application while continuing with other things in my life and eventually it worked out. This was my 3rd time interviewing so just keep at it, and keep your head up, if you don't get in now see it as an opportunity to build on yourself and develop more life experiences. Lots of ppl are supporting you in the process, so just remember that. Feel free to reach out if you have any q's

2nd Interview with UBC, 4th application overall

Result: Accepted VFMP

Timestamp: 8:15 PM PST May 14 

Degree: BSc

aGPA: 87.48%

MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 519 (130/130/130/129)

Interview: Below Average in 2018

I think I had a decent rapport with most of my interviewers. Some did come across as warmer than others, but I really don't think that necessarily correlated with how I did on a station. I've never been good at acting stations so I wouldn't be able to give advice for those. For everything else, I did try to sprinkle in personal experiences, but don't get so focused on doing that that you don't answer the prompt. This year, I did my best to not talk at the beginning for too long either. I was able to get through at least a couple follow-up questions with each of my interviewers and I think this really helped flesh out some of my responses. 

NAQ: N/A, 50th - 75th percentile from last year

Employment: Retail, co-op bench research (with a pub), clinical research

Volunteering: More generic hospital stuff + stuff focused on specific populations (DTES, developmental disabilities)

Hobbies/Clubs: Some more generic event-planning on campus stuff. A lot of the activities in my diversity of experiences section were sports or visual arts related. Nothing at a high level, all at a casual level honestly, but I did like to talk about how I was able to parlay the skills I developed in one activity into others. 

• 11 months later...

Result: Accepted – NMP (first choice!)

Geography: IP

Early or Regular Deadline: Regular

Timestamp: 8:36AM (email)

AGPA: 89.64%

MCAT: 512 total, 127/128/126/131

Degree: BSc 2021

Interview: I’ve thought about the MMI and NRPI a lot since they happened. I would say, subjectively, my final analysis of my own MMI performance would be that it overall felt somewhere near “very good.” I definitely had fun. As for the NRPI, I barely remember it but I just went in with no explicit prep and brought my honest true self!

ECs: Lots of stuff centered on mental health and addictions. 1000+ hours clinical experience at my old hospital job, 700+ hours at suicide crisis line, around 500 hours (at time of application) working full-time as a trauma counsellor for Indigenous persons, did an Honours thesis in undergrad and worked a couple of random research assistant jobs in different labs as well, homeless shelter volunteering, Big Brothers Big Sisters, etc. Also included hobbies (one very unique one with 3500+ hours across 10+ years), personal/family life activities, heavy religious community involvement, and experience as a patient with a chronic health condition.

Reflections: Got rejected pre-interview last year and took it very personally, especially since it came at a time that included other losses in my life. That rejection exacerbated thoughts that I was not good enough for this career path, and I started looking at my “backup” career more seriously. So I said to myself, I’m gonna full send this and just find a job in it. The past 18ish months have been important ones for my maturity and growth. I realized partway through this ‘gap year’ that I was not wrong to want med and it was indeed the path I should be on. Applied again and never really looked back. I approached this application with much more confidence instead of manifesting rejection before it even happened (like last year). I even typed this post up in a Word doc last night as part of my only-good-energy attitude (true story! It’s 10pm on the 5th right now for me lol). I think that my confidence and faith in God came across in all of my EC entries and my interview answers. Feeling thankful for the days when I used to scroll through posts like these to read people’s stories and for the premed101 forums in general.

Result: Waitlisted

Timestamp: 10:51AM (email)

AGPA: 90.5%

MCAT: 505 126/128/125/126

Degree: Health Science 2014, Rural Pre-Medicine Diploma - currently in program

EC's: 13 years as an advanced care paramedic, lots of school involvement (Archery club, student union, etc etc etc). Volunteering. Landlord. Loads of different specialty paramedic teams.

3rd time applicant

Result: Accepted - SMP (2nd choice)

Timestamp: 08:52 AM PST

AGPA: 89.9%

MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 511 (129/126/129/137)

Degree (UG/Bachelors/Masters/PhD): BSN

Interview: (no score) Felt alright, the usual amount of doubting afterwards. Did a lot more prep (practice) this year which I am guessing brought up my below-average score from last year.

ECs: No research - 2 years of med/Surg experience as an RN, retail work, some volunteering, lots of hours into martial arts/music, 5 years of experience running an online business, lots of hobbies but no concrete events or research publications so am surprised it was enough. 

I'm absolutely floored and so excited! Congrats to everyone and wishing everyone the energy to persist!