Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

I've followed this thread since high school (27 now) and this is my first post!

This was my first interview, but third time applying. I got regrets pre-interview the last two cycles.

Result: Accepted VFMP

Geography: IP

Early or Regular Deadline: Regular

Timestamp: 10:22AM May 6th

Degree: BSc 2017

aGPA: 85% from last year

MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 517 (I wrote it twice - the first time I got 513)

Interview: I felt really good about 3 of the stations - I was passionate about my answers and I think that really showed. I felt really terrible about 2 stations, and those 2 stations haunted me from Feb-now. The other stations I felt okay about.

NAQ: This cycle: N/A. 2020-2021 cycle: 50th - 75th. 2019-2020 cycle: 25th-49th.

So grateful for this opportunity. Although I'm the age of a non-trad, I have been working towards UBC medicine my whole life. I bombed my first two years of undergrad and almost gave up on the process. I knew that due to my lower GPA I would really have to improve my MCAT, NAQ, and Interview (if I got one) to get in. I focused on my passions outside of medicine (the arts, travelling, writing) and I tried to highlight who I was as a person (aside from a pre-med) in my app and interview. 

For those of you who are feeling the heavy disappointment of regrets, especially after coming so close,  my heart is truly with you as I have been there before. This process is the most emotionally exhausting thing I've ever done in my life -  be kind to yourselves and proud of yourselves for making it this far. I told myself that if I didn't get in this year, I am grateful for the opportunity to interview because the experience itself was a huge learning experience that I would help me the following interview cycle. 

Looking forward to meeting the class of 2026 in September!

Result: Regrets after interview

Timestamp: 10:57AM May 6th

Degree: BSc in Biochemistry 2021

aGPA: 89.2% 

MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 514 (130/128/129/127)

Interview: Below average. Had a station completely disconnect, and a few technical issues here and there. I felt that I had a few good stations and a few bad stations. I am grateful that I got this far; the bright part is that I know explicitly what I need to work on - the interview. Will relax for the summer and take some time to reflect on my interview in Aug/Sept. I expect myself to grind much harder for interview preparation for the next cycle. 

NAQ: 50-75th percentile. The slider was right in the middle between the BC and OOP cutoff.

This wasn't too hard to hear; I am confident for next cycle. Congrats to everyone who got an offer! Posting this to help those who also got the R, either before or after the interview. 

Regrets 

IP

TFR around 70 with inspect element (NAQ 75-100)

Below Avg Interview 

5th time interviewing at ubc, never even waitlisted :(

517 MCAT

I think I'm done at this point. I don't know what else I can do. I got positive feedback from a couple interviewers, several okay stations, 2 bad ones (didn't have a really unique answer). I really shouldn't need to do perfect on every single station, right? Shouldn't a ~70 TFR and 517 mcat count for something? 

Result: Accepted

Geography: OOP

Degree: BSc Biochemistry 2021

Stats: 523 MCAT, 92% AGPA

Interview: Felt good about it and felt that I connected with the interviewers well!

3rd cycle overall, 1st time interviewing at UBC. Was waitlisted last year at a couple of schools. Really grateful to be in this position. 

Result: Accepted VFMP

Timestamp: 10:21 AM on May 6th

Degree: BSc 2022

aGPA: 92%

MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 509 (128/127/128/126)

Interview: This was my first med school interview and i genuinely did not think it went well at all. I had lots of technical problems (for at least half of the stations) and felt very nervous. I would say 2 stations felt good, 1-2 felt terrible, and the rest mediocre. It's so funny how it works out! I'm so so grateful for both the interview and offer. 

NAQ: Not sure, first time applicant but my extracurriculars include: Lots of research at multiple labs, crisisline, tutoring, a lot of long term employment. 

Can't wait to meet everyone and best of luck to next year's applicants!

Result: Accepted  

Geography: IP

Early or Regular Deadline: Regular

Timestamp: 9:00 AM ish

Degree: BSc

aGPA: First application, so not sure (3.9/4.0 GPA)

MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): Between 505-507 (hidden for privacy)

Interview: Nailed it! Have been a working professional for many years. So was not worried about it at all.

NAQ: Don't know

Congratulations! to all who got accepted. Looking forward to meet everyone in August :)

• 11 months later...

Premed101 seems to be not as popular anymore but this thread gave me a lot of hope over the years and helped me gauge how to move forward so I'm posting my stats here for any future applicants who are in a similar boat!

Result: Accepted, VFMP- Fraser Cohort (1st choice)

Degree: BSc, B. Ed and M.Ed
aGPA: 86%
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 518 (130/129/130/129

Interview: Above average the last two times I interviewed and waitlisted with lower stats

NAQ: 75-100% for every application, I'm a non-trad applicant and have been working as teacher for several years now

This was my fifth application to UBC and I can't believe I'm finally writing this post. I did contemplate writing this but if this gives anyone hope and some insight, this is for you!

I think I would have given up a long time ago but I got waitlisted on my very first application (79% and 507 MCAT)- which gave me a lot of hope and made me feel I was very close and if I improved my application a little bit I would get in. I didn't qualify for aGPA at this point as I had 6 P/F credits which wouldn't have let me have 90 credits with grades attached after taking my worst year out. My B.Ed was also all P/F so it didn't help with the GPA. I rewrote the MCAT that summer as that felt like the quickest way to improve and ended with a 511 after about 5-6 weeks of studying. The 2nd application the following cycle, I didn't even get an interview. So at this point I knew I really had to work on my GPA to stand a solid shot and I decided to take a couple of online courses in winter 2020 term. This was the COVID term so the classes didn't even end up counting but because the way UBC calculated aGPA changed that year, I qualified for aGPA. I got an interview and waitlist again on my third cycle with a 511 MCAT and 81ish%. However, I didn't get off the waitlist again that year but had kept taking more courses on the side. The 4th application, I applied with about 83% and 511 MCAT but when the interview invites came, I was rejected pre-interview again. This one was hard to bear because I just didn't know what else could be done at this point- this definitely impacted my self-worth significantly! I was luckily in the middle of my masters this year so just focused on that for the remaining year. That summer I happened to have 2 months off between semester two and starting my capstone, so I decided to take one final shot and rewrite the MCAT. I studied for 7-8 weeks straight with no distractions, focusing more on practice and active recall (anki) and for the first time felt I had finally figured out how to study effectively. When the score came back as 518, I finally felt like I had a solid shot. I had also done well on my masters courses, bringing my aGPA to 86%, much higher than my previous applications. I felt pretty good going into this fifth cycle but in terms of interview, I actually felt the least prepared this year because of (a.) how busy work had been and (b.) I was very frustrated with the process and just couldn't get my self to commit any time to prep. Luckily, teaching lends well to the topics UBC likes to cover so my approach in the answers was pretty similar to previous years where I was very conversational and always found a way to share personal anecdotes and experiences. The last few months have been crazy busy I didn't think about May as much as I did in previous years. At this point, I wanted an acceptance or a rejection. I couldn't have done another year of being on the waitlist. I was beyond thankful to have gotten that acceptance this past Friday but I don't think it has fully hit me yet. If you've read this post this far and you are also frustrated by this process, my advice is keep going but focus more on whatever your back up career is. When you do things to help you with whatever you are currently working on, it will also help you with the med application. Don't do things solely for medicine (other than the MCAT of course). It's not a matter of if, but a matter of when!

23 minutes ago, teachdoc said:

Premed101 seems to be not as popular anymore but this thread gave me a lot of hope over the years and helped me gauge how to move forward so I'm posting my stats here for any future applicants who are in a similar boat!

Interview: Above average the last two times I interviewed and waitlisted with lower stats

NAQ: 75-100% for every application, I'm a non-trad applicant and have been working as teacher for several years now

This was my fifth application to UBC and I can't believe I'm finally writing this post. I did contemplate writing this but if this gives anyone hope and some insight, this is for you!

I think I would have given up a long time ago but I got waitlisted on my very first application (79% and 507 MCAT)- which gave me a lot of hope and made me feel I was very close and if I improved my application a little bit I would get in. I didn't qualify for aGPA at this point as I had 6 P/F credits which wouldn't have let me have 90 credits with grades attached after taking my worst year out. My B.Ed was also all P/F so it didn't help with the GPA. I rewrote the MCAT that summer as that felt like the quickest way to improve and ended with a 511 after about 5-6 weeks of studying. The 2nd application the following cycle, I didn't even get an interview. So at this point I knew I really had to work on my GPA to stand a solid shot and I decided to take a couple of online courses in winter 2020 term. This was the COVID term so the classes didn't even end up counting but because the way UBC calculated aGPA changed that year, I qualified for aGPA. I got an interview and waitlist again on my third cycle with a 511 MCAT and 81ish%. However, I didn't get off the waitlist again that year but had kept taking more courses on the side. The 4th application, I applied with about 83% and 511 MCAT but when the interview invites came, I was rejected pre-interview again. This one was hard to bear because I just didn't know what else could be done at this point- this definitely impacted my self-worth significantly! I was luckily in the middle of my masters this year so just focused on that for the remaining year. That summer I happened to have 2 months off between semester two and starting my capstone, so I decided to take one final shot and rewrite the MCAT. I studied for 7-8 weeks straight with no distractions, focusing more on practice and active recall (anki) and for the first time felt I had finally figured out how to study effectively. When the score came back as 518, I finally felt like I had a solid shot. I had also done well on my masters courses, bringing my aGPA to 86%, much higher than my previous applications. I felt pretty good going into this fifth cycle but in terms of interview, I actually felt the least prepared this year because of (a.) how busy work had been and (b.) I was very frustrated with the process and just couldn't get my self to commit any time to prep. Luckily, teaching lends well to the topics UBC likes to cover so my approach in the answers was pretty similar to previous years where I was very conversational and always found a way to share personal anecdotes and experiences. The last few months have been crazy busy I didn't think about May as much as I did in previous years. At this point, I wanted an acceptance or a rejection. I couldn't have done another year of being on the waitlist. I was beyond thankful to have gotten that acceptance this past Friday but I don't think it has fully hit me yet. If you've read this post this far and you are also frustrated by this process, my advice is keep going but focus more on whatever your back up career is. When you do things to help you with whatever you are currently working on, it will also help you with the med application. Don't do things solely for medicine (other than the MCAT of course). It's not a matter of if, but a matter of when!

Amazing! Congrats! May I ask what your timestamp was?

5 hours ago, teachdoc said:

I've been following this forum for years & was looking forward to the day you got in, you've been close SO many times! Super excited for you & proud of your persistence <3 

I guess I'll keep it going because this forum helped me A LOT during this cycle. I can't believe I'm finally filling this out!

Result: Accepted, VFMP. Timestamp - 10:17am May 5th)

Degree: None, just finished my 3rd year

GPA: UBC = 96%

MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 522 (130/130/131/131)

Interview: No clue. I felt amazing the moment interviews finished but have been worrying about every single one of my responses every day since. Podcasts helped a lot but mainly just practiced as much as I could with as many as people as possible. 

NAQ: Also no clue. Had 3 long term commitments (13+ yrs), plenty of volunteering, 2 research positions and a TA position. These were the main activities that came to mind for the application but I ended up putting down anything/everything I could (working out, taking care of a younger sibling, etc.)

Result: Accepted, VFMP Fraser cohort

Geography: OOP

Degree: BSc
GPA: 88%

MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 518 (129/129/129/131)

Interview: average, some tech issues + some others where I struggled to find things to say

NAQ: idk, but various long-term activities in academics & the arts 

Result: Accepted  :)

Degree: BSc + Professional degree
aGPA: ~90
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 518

Interview: Finally felt good after so many years of interviewing. Practiced a lot more than I ever did and I vibed/could relate to most of the questions that were asked….very lucky for that

NAQ:75-100 last year

6th time is the charm I guess. Still in absolute shock that I got in….this was probably gonna be my last try at it and it worked out!!!

I’ve gotten so much help from people on this forum over the years. If I can be of help to anyone, I’d love to.

Result: Waitlist

Degree: BSc + Professional Master's Degree (non-traditional)
aGPA: ~90
MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 511 (128/131/127/125)

Interview: It felt good, had some minor technical issues. I have interviewed for many, many jobs and interview well so I feel good about my interview. 

NAQ: First time applicant so not sure, but assume over 50th quartile. I have been working in a professional role for 8 years and have a wide variety of ECs and other experiences. 

Just posting this now (a week late). I see several others here from the Fraser Medical Cohort - excited to meet you in August!

Result: Accepted VFMP-FMC

Early or Regular Deadline: Early

Timestamp: 11:28 AM on May 5

Degree: BMus 2022

aGPA: 92.5%

MCAT (CPBS / CARS / BBFL / PSBB): 521 (129/131/130/131)

Interview: This was my second interview (second application cycle). I came out of it feeling like I had a few strong stations, but had no idea of it was good or bad... just glad it was done. 

NAQ: From last year, I was in the 25-49.9 percentile range. Not a lot changed this cycle other than a bit of word-smithing/rewriting, so I'm guessing it was similar. 

Last year, I honestly hardly prepped at all for the interview; it just seemed like such a big unknown and I didn't know where to start. This year I prepped with multiple groups and mentors, and really worked hard. Since my ECs and stats hardly changed, that interview prep really made the difference. I was disappointed with the R last year, but I am so much better prepared now for medical school and really grateful for the opportunities I've had to grow in the last year. I'm so humbled and honoured to have this opportunity, and am beyond excited to get started!

On 5/7/2023 at 11:42 AM, teachdoc said:

Hello @teachdoc , your story is so so so so inspiring. THANK YOU for posting this. as a fellow hopeful applying this cycle with a GPA similar to yours gives me hope. god bless you