Premed 101 Forums

UBC selection process is so screwed up!

Guest Thewonderer

Guest not rex morgan

There is an official appeals process. I don't know the details, but if you get in touch with the office, they would have to tell you about it. BC Girl, with grades that high, and a half-decent interview mark, you do have to wonder how far back this database error went. Before the committee meeting? Scary.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BC Girl,

Did UBC provide you with a percentile for non-academic things eg. extracurriculars? I know someone who was accepted with some very interesting volunteer work, publications etc. You might want to ask....if the percentile was not provided.

Guest BCgirl

Hi everyone,

I'll call UBC tomorrow to see what's up. My guess is they will tell me that my non-academics weren't up to par or that there was a problem with a lor or something.

aaa, they do not give rejectees their non-academic percentiles.

One interesting thing from my second letter that should be noted is:

"These figures are simply for your information and have no bearing on the final decision made by the Admissions Selection Committee" I didn't even notice that sentence until I read the letter to my mother over the phone.

So, what DO they use in the final selection if your interview and academic percentiles aren't used?

Well, hopefully I will get some constructive feedback when I talk to them.

This is so frustrating! I thought I really wanted to go back to BC, but now I'm starting to wonder...

Guest helmet33

BC girl,

I was told by Shannon(manager of med adm) that when they looked at your file in the Adcom meeting they looked at your raw scores(of course they were 'somewhat' adjusted so all interviewers had the same mean. Hard to believe that the database would then give random numbers to random letters. I was also told that I would be able to get my raw scores, my non-academics as well as the cutoff interview score at that time. I am frustrated that I can't get a meeting with anyone until the 13th of June. I have been on the phone alot as I scored in the 84%ile in my interview so am likely to appeal but am told I have to go to that meeting first! Seems to me I should be able to appeal when I see fit not when they say so. Frustration increases as no matter who I call and try to talk to, no one will shed any light on the appeals process. Anyone out there who has figured it out.

Any info greatly appreciated!

Guest Ian Wong

Hi BC Girl,

I'd definitely contact them to ask what's the deal here. I think the important question is whether the admissions committee actually had your interview percentile of 62% when they made their decisions or not. The question is where the statistics glitch occurred, and whether the admissions committee had access to your correct scores, and then an incorrect score was sent to your address. I'd hypothesize that this was the meaning behind why they stated the statistics glitch didn't actually affect the Selection Committee, but that's just a guess (which I'm sure you've already considered).

I think it's well justified that you contact them regarding this. It's perhaps important to realise that you might not get the head honcho on the phone. However, I'd still try to get as much information out of them until I was satisfied (as long as you remain polite and pleasant), I think it's well within the bounds to press them a little on this issue.

Finally, I think that there is indeed, indirectly or not, a higher level of expectation attached to being a third year applicant. As with most other North American med schools (except for the Ontario ones which have that whole weird Grade 13 business, and subsequent 3 year Bachelor's degrees), even though they may accept third year applicants, that is usually the exception and not the rule. As I've mentioned, there's probably only 8-9 third year students in my class of 120; I'm sure the acceptance rates for third year applicants was even more dismal than the acceptance rates for other applicants (in my year, we had 120 acceptances for 610 applicants, an 80% rejection rate).

I do think a very large majority of these third year applicants, particularly those who secure interviews, will progress to an acceptance letter when they reapply in fourth year. There's an additional year's worth of experiences, the written materials are usually much more polished because there's much less pressure (you just need to revise and review a little), there's a lot more poise on the interviews as you know what to expect and can prepare accordingly. In the past, and still now, I encourage people to apply to med school after third year, both for the chances of acceptance, but more importantly to get that application experience.

I think this thread has essentially run its course, and I'm going to shut it down; there's a new thread regarding UBC's screwup of the mailed out statistics here, which is the direction this 153 message thread is now progressing towards. That thread can be accessed here:

pub125.ezboard.com/fpremed101frm14.showMessage?topicID=211.topic

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived