Premed 101 Forums

UBC..what's happening? when are decisions?

Guest med2005

Guest med2005

Hello everyone,

This is wayyyyyyyyy too much. I had my interviews in january...and it has close to 2.5 months and I am getting so sick of waiting. When do they actually start mailing out the decisions? Are there any early decisions? Whats happening at ubc now anyways?

help

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lally

IAN IAN! do you know whats happening at ubc? has anyone received early admissions? do they give any early admissions? are the interviews over?

Guest ECruise

Yes Ian,

following on the last message, do you know when they will send out at least some of the acceptances? will it be april 16th?

thx!!!

Guest Ian Wong

Hi all,

I think Tones has it right. Everyone, please relax and unwind a little (yeah I know, MUCH easier said than done...)

At this point, as far as I know, UBC admissions is still working away. I haven't had any luck communicating with Dr. Bates over the last week or so due mainly to the fact that she's extremely busy. Admissions won't be sent out for quite some time, and I believe interviews are still being given out. However, I don't know how much longer interview notices will be sent, although I suspect they will be for several weeks yet.

I can't speak for this year, but in the past, the only people who receive early admissions have been the MD/PhD students, because they are being actively recruited into the faculty (the MD/PhD program is facing a severe shortage in students at the moment compared with past years). Giving these students early admission helps UBC retain them versus losing them to other Canadian medical schools.

I believe I've heard of extremely exceptional students getting early admission notices in the past, but you really shouldn't count on this. Upon getting into med school, you'll realise that pretty much everyone is smart, and virtually everyone has some cool stories and experiences in their belt.

I hope that when things finally start arriving in the mail, that you'll update us all. :)

Ian

UBC, MS2

Guest tones

Hey guys,

Like I said in my last message, I was at the infosession and she said twice, after someone again asked, that notices would be sent early/mid May. This was brought up after someone had asked about schools such as Alberta (not sure?) only interviewing in May. I wish you all good luck.

later,

t-

Guest Ian Wong

dont fret over stupid things like the feedback form....its lame form asking us to evaluate the admission process.

Does anyone know of anyone who has recieved an early admission?

-edited to get rid of the extra question marks, which might help prevent the spillover of below posts (Ian, April. 7)

Guest shuno

I dont think this message is true at all, since I asked the admissions office and they told me that no early acceptance has been sent yet and there is no guarantee that they are going to send early acceptances this year; it all depends on what the committee decides in the future meetings. go ubc!

Guest Ian Wong

I'm personally a little skeptical about the early admissions. tl, do you happen to know if the person who you heard got this early acceptance was an MD/PhD student? I'm under the impression that UBC hasn't yet offered their acceptance letters.

Ian

UBC, MS2

I am not entirely sure about this . . . however, my source has insisted that this is true (?). I have yet to ask if he is gaining entry into the MD/PhD program as this seems to be an isolated case. I will keep you all updated, and yes, Ian, I was also under the impression that letters have not been sent yet. From speaking with some of the 1st years, a few were offered admission in April last year. Do you think that may be happening this year (especially since interviews seemed to have started earlier)? I realize that Dean Bates said beginning to mid-May . . . but I am still hoping that those of us with earlier interviews do not have to wait that much longer.

Hi Ian,

Just to let some of the other people know, UBC has started sending admission letters out because I just got mine on Friday. One of my other friends received an offer as well. They require a $ 300 deposit. I'm sure other people will receive letters this week or next ... so watch out!

Congratulations Dave!

So they HAVE started sending out acceptances....

Wow, I guess there will be alot of activity on these pages this coming week....

Archived