Premed 101 Forums

UBC..what's happening? when are decisions?

Guest med2005

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

congrats sam - can you tell us more? how did you feel about your interview? what kind of applicant are you (eg. 3rd, 4th year, grad)? did the letter state any info about accepted applicants, dates, etc? any info would be much appreciated.

Ryan, did the letter say anything about the applicant pool or about it being an early acceptance? As well, when was your interview date?

thanks!

Hey guys,

Thanks for updating us. Could you all post your stats, when you had interviews, when the letter was dated, and whether you got a chance to submit your interview feedback form?

Congratulations to you all!

Guest Anonymous

Congrats to Ryan and Sam, however, I think that most letters won't be sent out until after May. My father knows someone on the admissions committee and he was told that they won't be making decisions until after April 30th. The problem of this site is that anyone can send in information. In fact read this email after mine by ABC.

Hi,

I just got accepted to UBC med. school, my GPA was 87 %, and I had alot of extracurriculars and research. I'm so excited! I say don't even check this website, I know I won't be until the end of May. If I got in GREAT if NOT ... NO BIG DEAL ... I'll just reapply next YEAR and enjoy the summer vacation - JUST WROTE MY LAST EXAM A FEW DAYS AGO ... TIME TO PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks anonymous for your comments. That is true, it is hard to gage who is telling the truth on this kind of board. But I"m glad that you have clarified a few things for all of us.

Hi, my name is Ryan and my feet stink and I have a big ugly square face with a bad haircut and I try to work out my biceps to make up for my paper bag-shaped, disproportionate obelisk head. Did I mention that my feet stink? How about that I worship Cheryl day and night?

[NB this message doesn't use language any more offensive than the above ones which remain undeleted]

Congrats to those who say they got in!

However, I would also like to point out that I'm quite skeptical. I don't think UBC has really sent out letters like many of you but you never know...

Could you pls tell us what kind of information was on the letter? Also, when were your interviews (and the interviews of the other accepted applicants)?

Guest sharon

the interviews of the accepted applicants that I know were pretty spread out. It is not necessarily the early interviewees who have received acceptance. The acceptance letter just congratulates and asks the accepted applicants to submit a deposit to reserve the unconditional acceptance.

UNCONDITIONAL acceptance? Sharon, you say you know of 20 people who have been accepted . . . are these people all in your program? Since you already know of 20, and you couldn't possibly know all the interviewed applicants, then this suggests that the number is >20. Correct? Hmmm. Maybe people should just start posting their names as part of the class of 2005 as they receive their "acceptances" . . . and we can do a roll call in Sept:)

Here's my take on this acceptance thing. (It's ironic because I"m not going to waste my time calling the office but I am spending time writing this post...) I "don't" think acceptances were mailed out for two main reasons. It was said before that they would be sent out in Mid-May. And, secondly, you also have the questionnaire sheet which has to be received by April 30. UBC seems to say thye have strict rules and break them at the same time since it said information on the questionnaire will not be used in your application unless requested. So I think they would wait until all info has been received... now they could have given acceptances to people who did unbelievably well but I think that's highly unlikely... much easier to send all letters in one batch-- I know that's how they do things at another highly competitive programme at UBC.

Guest aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Well, thats a good approximation of the process. However, I know for a fact that the acceptances were mailed out in atleast two informal rounds last year. They do not mail out all acceptances at the same time. So be alert! Nonetheless, not much time left until mid-may!!!! its april 21st - 25 days to go!!!!

What does someone get out of lying on this kind of forum? But you are right, we dont' have too long to wait and we will all know by mid may.... not too long to wait....

what is the chace of a 3rd year applicant to be selected at ubc? do you have any idea as to how many 3rd year students applied? why does there seem to be a stron bias against 3rd year students?

Guest Ian Wong

Let's stay polite here folks. :)

AJ, to answer your questions, check out these links:

www.geocities.com/mdpremie/email.html#38

www.geocities.com/mdpremie/email.html#35

www.geocities.com/mdpremie/email.html#30

www.geocities.com/mdpremie/email.html#25

www.geocities.com/mdpremie/email.html#14

Basically, in order to get in after third year, you need to have everything on your application to the same level as a fourth year applicant. That's hard to do, as they've had an extra year to do research, travel, work, get good reference letters, etc. Also, since you haven't completed many of the "meat and potatoes" courses of your major, you'll have to have a higher GPA than the fourth year applicant.

Ian

UBC, MS2

Hey Ian:

Just to let you know, I recieved my acceptance to UBC today (aprill 26). I am a 4th year physiology major at UBC with an 88% average and 33Q MCAT. I guess people should start expecting response from UBC. I had my interviews in January and they went well. I had lots of extra-cirricular activities and volunteer work.

Cheers,

Str

Archived