Premed 101 Forums

UBC..what's happening? when are decisions?

Guest med2005

Wow... has there been a lot of activity in this message forum or what? :)

Just wanted to post the 100th message.

I was wondering, Is it so that anyone who got an interview will hear something on May 15th?

Thanks

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest med2005

I am the original initiator of this particular topic and god am I proud of the response my topic has generated! Nonetheless, I am also wondering if they will let us know the decision by May 15 or will they mail the letters on may 15 and we will get them by May 20th. Can anyone shed light on this?

And yeah, did anyone's interviewer give feedback to them on how they liked the person? like bates? ferris? goodman? dalal? rose? kim?

Thanks.

All the decisons have been made ...the office is just in process of making acceptance package i am assuming....the office is targetting mid-may for mailing out of all outcomes (acceptances and rejections)

Guest anon

I just can't sleep thinking about all of this. Mid may...does that mean we will get it by that date, or they will send it on that date?

so close....

Guest Ian Wong

Hi all,

Just to let you all know, as I don't believe this information is confidential (any longer). Decisions have been made for the 128 applicants, and a waitlist of 25 has already been constructed. As far as I am aware, this has been the state for at least a few days; the only thing left to do is to contact the individuals mentioned. Please do <!--EZCODE BOLD START--> NOT<!--EZCODE BOLD END--> call the UBC med office asking for this information; they will be mailing it out and getting in contact with you. The more you call them, the less time they can devote to completing the mailout! (and no, I don't have an exact start date for it, but count on it coming very soon).

Best of luck out there everyone.

Ian

UBC, MS2

I have an interview in alberta coming up and I need to know whether I got accepted to UBC. What should I do as I need to book my flight?

Guest Ian Wong

Simple, you book your flight and go. Even if you get accepted by UBC, you might discover that you like U of A better. The amount of money that you'll spend on travel/housing is peanuts compared to what you could potentially lose out by not attending. Even if UBC is your first choice right now, that could all change based on what you hear and see in Edmonton (they have a better hockey team for one!), and it's best to keep all your options open for as long as possible.

Ian

UBC, MS2

It is not as simple. UBC is by far my first choice because of the economy of tuition. I really need to find out whether I was accepted. What should I do?

Guest Anon

I wonder if they will mail out the decisions tomorrow so that we will know by the end of the week. Or do you think that they will likely send it out friday so that we receive it on monday?

I'm guessing the latter....

Guest Ian Wong

There's nothing you can do but register for your flight. :)

I don't mean to sound cavalier, and I hope it doesn't come across that way, but you are playing the med school game, and quite frankly UBC has all the cards. You could try contacting them to see if they will let you know early, but I can pretty much guarantee that you will have to wait just like everyone else. If you accept that as part of the scenario, then your best option might just be to delay booking the flight for as long as possible in the hopes that UBC will notify you.

However, I personally would not skip the interview in either event. Finances and cheap tuition be damned, you should never turn down an opportunity to check out another med school. I can safely assure you that tuition increases are going to happen at UBC before you graduate. Without question. There simply is not enough money at this point, and UBC's facilities aren't getting any newer. I, and my classmates expect that there will be a tuition increase in our fourth year at the latest. Therefore, choosing UBC as your first choice based on tuition costs might not be the best criteria, especially considering the extremely high cost of living here.

Getting back to UBC for a minute, you can safely assume that you have at least a 1 : 2.5 chance of getting in, as that was the ratio of acceptees : interviewees. You would be, in my opinion, making a huge mistake to not spend the additional $200-300 on your Alberta interview.

Ian

UBC, MS2

Guest Joe

When is your interview? How long before you need to book you flight?

We will probably know from UBC next week. Is that not soon enough?

Guest yvr

Oh my God!

Everyone -- I just received a letter of acceptance!

I cried tears of happiness!!!

I have a few conditions, being a grad student, but I will see many of you next year. I am so excited!

I know everyone is curious -- a few more details.

They want a $300 deposit.

I was interviewed in January.

Good luck to everyone. If you have more questions, I will answer them!

Guest yvr

Thanks for the congrats,

I do not know if I am at liberty to say who my interviewers were, but I had a man and a woman and they were both in middle to late January. I found them to be conversational interviews. But I think such circumstances depend on the interviewee as well.

I request all people who have received some sort of correspondance to post on this forum. UBC has sincerely sent some letters and I sending some everyday.

This is just killing me. I suppose there is no trend to what kind of letters get sent first. Let's hope for the best for everyone.

Good luck,

anxiously waiting...

Archived