Premed 101 Forums

Anyone heard of Dr. David Goodman????

Guest notamedic

Guest notamedic

Hey all,

I'm new to this site. Has anyone heard of Dr. David Goodman? He's a kinesiology professor at SFU AND is interviewing me in two weeks.

Any info to offer??????

My other interviewer is Dr. Petra Selke............

THANKS!

Guest not rex morgan

Dr. Goodman. Oh my. I did not have him, but he is legendary. All I can say is don't be swayed by the name. You take it from there. He not only plays the devil's advocate, but is known to attack you personally. "What do you mean you only run 5 miles a day? This is nothing." Consider yourself forewarned. Hold your ground. Prepare just the same as you had any other interviewer, just be mentally prepared for a wierd/wild interview. This is the prototypical interview in which you will walk away thinking you've blown it, and score fantasically. Good Luck!

Guest me maniac

I had Dr. Goodman as an interviewer last year. I had a very pleasant conversation with him, it was not like an interview at all. Only once did he challenge what I said. However, by his own admission, he said he marked harder than most of the other interviewers (which really shouldn't factor into it because they scale all the interviewer's scores to the same mean and s.d.). I found him to be extremely pleasant!

me

me maniac,

I was just wondering if you could expand on what you said about them scaling the interviewer's marks...I've never heard that before...

Also, can anyone elaborate on the procedure after the interviews...how exactly do they come to their decision?

From what I understand each interviewer presents the student they interviewed to the admission committee after which everyone on the committee votes. If you get a certain number of votes, you're in...

But if this is the case, then where are the interview marks factored in?

Guest Ian Wong

As I've heard it, some interviewers mark harder than others. The admissions committee is aware of those individuals, and will therefore tend to "standardize" those results so they are in line with the other interviewers' results; that way, you aren't penalized if you happened by random chance the interviewer who traditionally gives out lower scores to all interviewees.

My opinion: the interview marks are available and are factored into the voting process. The interviews most certainly count big-time when your name comes up.

Ian

UBC, Med 4

Guest me maniac

I think Ian pretty well summed it up. Individual interviewer's scores are scaled to match all the other interviewers (ie they will all have the same mean and sd for their group of interviewees after scaling). That way, they are comparing apples to apples at voting time.

On an aside, does anyone know if UBC bypasses successful applicants (meaning their interview score places them in the top 1/3 of the pool, their GPA and extrac's are competative) if it is their first time applying to see if they are serious about medical school? Just wondering because this happened to me last year. Don't know if my age has anything to do with it, but I thought they were testing me to see if med school at the age of 37 was a passing fancy (or a mid-life crisis!:lol ) or if I was really serious about it. One of the doc's I work with (who graduated from UBC) thought this happened quite regularly. As well, when I had my advising session, Dr. Cornea (? spelling) told me that many people had to apply 2 or 3 times before getting in. But if I didn't make it the first time, even though my scores were higher than the mean of all accepted applicants (as stated on their stats sheet), what makes me think I'll get in this time?

me

Guest kellyl20

Me Maniac: Heard that last year UBC had to go into their reject list to make up the class (don't know why though), so I would guess your chances are good. Plus, don't they have a 49 year old student?

I loved Dr. Goodman...he was definately amazingly pleasant. I've never had such a relaxing interview before. We simply chatted about sports the whole time, and didn't even touch upon ethics or current events of any sort.

I find it hard to believe that he may have such a tough side! I only fear that by not whipping questions at me, I didn't get a chance to prove myself to him.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I was wondering if those people who have been interviewed by Dr. Goodman could comment on whether he focuses on your sketch/essay or does he come up with scenarios? (UBCgal, I know you mentioned that he didnt ask any ethical questions, but just wondering if other people have had them) He strikes me as somewhat of a character, so in a strange way, I am actually looking forward to the interview to see how he will interview me (this is assuming that the atmosphere of each interview he gives is solely based on the interviewee).

Any help/comments would be most appreciated! Thanks again, and best of luck! :)

Kit Shan

Archived