Premed 101 Forums

Pharmacy

Guest FungManX

Guest canucksrock

UBC pharmacy is way too overrated. All those pharmacy students in wood thinking they are cool are the biggest losers I have ever seen. Too many people doing it for all the wrong reasons, not knowing the JOB DEMAND is going to DECREASE very quickly.

Guest GundamDX

maybe he ran into the first year students. I heard the curriculum gets much harder in senior years... maybe then students won't be less cocky ^^

Guest MKxox

I think the bigger issue for the pharm students is that they're not gonna have job stability because the market (especially in lower mainland) is completely saturated.

Guest pharmgurl

Hey, I graduated from pharmacy school 2 years ago, it definitely is not easy....maybe those pharmacy students that act like their too cool in Wood are actually super-stressed from studying (no excuse for being snotty though). As for jobs, there's tons of them if you're willing to leave Vancouver or if you're in it for the right reasons, do a residency, then you can stay in Van and have job satisfaction!

Pharmgurl

Guest kellyl20

pharm in hospital starts @ 29.46/hr, up to 36.74/hr for a junior position in BC.

Your highest pharm in hospital earns fr 39.69 to 49.51.

Guest firesawyer

Hey Canucksrock,

You sound like a compassionate individual. It's good to see everyone in or interested in med possesses the virtues of patience and respect for others...

Guest canucksrock

^^^ haha I know I must have sounded like an ass with my comment but thats not how I meant it to come out. I have no problems with pharmacy, what I do have a problem with is the pharmacy students being more cocky then the med students for some reason. Nobody has the right to be cocky about anything, you should be proud but not cocky. I have 5 friends in 1st year pharm who got in with 65-69% averages, and all I ever hear from people is that pharmacy is soooooo competitive to get in hence why I think its way too overrated

Guest FungManX

hey richmond yes i am are you?

btw canuck, think you can pm me more information on their stats? (extracurrics/pcat scores)

getting in with those grades is a real feat even for pharmacy

Guest ubcrx

canucksrock,

I don't think any university student likes it when another person singles out their faculty as an example of being "not competitive enough" or "producing cocky students". There will always be cocky students in every class and that, I must agree with you since there are some people in my pharmacy class who have quite the attitude just like you. Your remark towards pharmacy being not competitive is quite the joke. I don't know what degree you have or are working towards but I would not go as low as you in saying that your program is overrated. Btw, I would like to see how relaxed your friends are in 3rd/4th year when the fun begins. If you check ubc stats, I believe some people even made it in med with very low 70's so would you call that not being competitive? Like med, people get into pharmacy not just because of their marks. As for the future of pharmacy, I have graduated and am working full time in Vancouver so I don't have any idea why you think it is saturated. In fact, I got many job offers both locally and Canada/US about 6 months before I graduated. I don't know anyone from my pharmacy class who is unemployed. I think anyone who is in pharmacy on this board can back my statement up anytime! Sorry for the long reply.

Guest FungManX

hey ubcrx just wondering when did you graduate?

and did you have to send out resumes yourself? or did the companies from america/canada come looking in the faculty?

Guest kellyl20

Cousin graduating this year. Going down to the States to work. Companies come looking for you. If stay in say Abbotsford for 2 year working for big company, can transfer to Vancouver to work for same company. Very boring work but pay is good, comparatively to straight BSc. Heard that the PCAT was in the 80's of the people from last year.

Guest richmond604

hey fungman,

no, i am not studying in bc (my name is rather misleading i know), but i have quite a number of friends at ubc that are also applying to pharmacy this year ;)

good luck with your application :P

Guest nuck123

I'm in my last year of pharmacy school and the job market is definately not saturated. I'm pretty sure everyone in my class already has a job. If they don't have one, it's because they have multiple job offers and are in the process of deciding or they want to take a break before starting work.

As for cocky first year year pharmacy students, there's always a few cocky people in every class. There's probably a lot of cocky people in med school too. Pharmacy is a good BSc degree becauase you can get a good job out of it. But it is definately not an easy program and people should only apply for pharmacy school if they're genuinely interested in the profession.

Guest kakashifan

cocky pharm people? of course they exist! as do cocky ____ (insert your major of choice) people.

i think they are more prominent in woodward since they spend so much time there using the very heavy/thick reference books. being able to use those book can make you feel a wee bit grandiose.

as for the people who got in with <70% averages, well.. kudos to them. but for sure they will have a harder time in pharmacy especially first year (org chem.. yuck!). i remember a pharm advisor telling me mostly the people who have a harder time in 1st year are the people they chose for 'EC/personality' as opposed to marks.

i find pharmacy to be an awesome major. it definitely had the aspect of clinical/patient centered care i liked as compared to other hard core sciences. and no matter how saturated the market is, there is always going to be a need for pharmacists. and they will always make good money. it's definitely an awesome job with good money and good hours.

Guest physiology

Hey,

I was in pharmacology (oft confused with pharmacy), and I'm jealous of the pharmacy people in my class! Pharmacology and therapeutics aren't taught very well in the medical curriculum (at least for the class of 2008).

There are ~18 pharmacy students in my class, and I have yet to meet a cocky one. But they almost have a right to be cocky, with all that useful drug and dosing knowledge.

Guest canstowski

I too find pharmacy students in my first year med class very knowledgable, especially during PBL. None of them are cocky and they taught me awesome tricks to memorize my drugs.

Guest 10MoreYrsofEducation

Hi guys,

I also have a pharmacy background and I do think learning all those drugs and knowing how to use them effectively based on quality evidence and clinical experience is a very admirable, respectable, and almost impossible trait to have..... I am not saying I am 1 of these people (NOT in a million years!), but pharmacy does give you a good solid foundation in the therapeutics side of things.

With that said, I truly believe there are always cocky people anywhere, even in my class.......

• 4 weeks later...
Guest johnwoo19

Canucksrock, your friends probably did not deserve to get in. Apparently they really screwed up last year and accepted people who were meant to be rejected. A person entering UBC Pharmacy with a 65-69% average is not the typical scenario.

Guest yellow

^Johnwoo.

That is quite the assumption.

While I agree that the typical accepted applicant likely does not have an average in the 60's, are you infact trying to say that it is impossible to get in with such an average? If they indeed "screwed up" last year, then they must have made the same mistake in years past (Yes, I know a few people that have been accepted with similar averages). Does your work experience, PCAT scores, and the interview performance not play a significant factor in the decision process as well?

While pharmacy may not be that difficult to get into in terms of academic requirements, it should be acknowledged that the application process is much more involved than other B.Sc majors. 0]

Guest canucksrock

Johnwoo that is quite the assumption. I never once said my friends were stupid, I just said there averages werent that great. They are doing fine in the program, some people have a harder time transitioning to university than others, hence the lower average. My point I was trying to make is a lot of people CAN and DO get in with these kind of averages

Archived