Premed 101 Forums

gpa calculation

Guest pebbles81

Guest pebbles81

hi, iam from uft and iam kinda confused with the gpa calculation. is it different for OOP.

lets say i took 4 courses, with 82, 83, 84, 90. would i just add them up and divide by 4 to get my overall average.

thanks

Guest JJudyJ

The weight of those courses (semester vs full year) count as well. So in your case, if the marks you speak of are all full year courses, then you would just sum 82+83+84+90 then divide by four. For your overall GPA (which, btw, UBC counts ALL regardless of summer vs fall/spring session, courses taken at other schools, etc.) you can't just add all your marks and divide by the number of courses if you took a mix of semester and full year courses. You have to consider the weight of the courses in your calculation.

Guest pebbles81

thanks for the reply. i understand that you have to consider whether the courses are full year or half semester.

i asked because i heard someone say that ubc lowers your score. so if you have 82, 83, 84, they lower all those to 80s and if you have between 85-90 then they lower it to 85, etc then they calculate your overall using those grades. maybe this just applies to OOP student or its just a rumour.

thanks anyways.

Guest JJudyJ

Hmm, interesting...never heard of that before though pebbles. Maybe it applies for schools who give out GPA and letter grades, but no percentages? I wouldn't know since my school gives GPA, letter grade, ad percentage. If anything, I think UBC's grading is more fair than a GPA grading used by other medical schools since UBC literally considers every percentage of effort you have put into your grades ;) But then again, they do standardize the overall academic score at the end, so in the end, I guess all the schools are the same.

Guest kaymcee

If your transcript indicates percentage grades, UBC will use those. If your university uses grade points, then UBC will convert them to a percentage score. The way UBC does this is different for each university.

pebbles81 would be correct if you are attending UVic. UBC converts UVic grade points to percentages by using the lowest percentage value for the grade point. In other words, A+ = 90%, A = 85%, A– = 80%, and so on.

Other schools are evaluated differently.

Archived