Premed 101 Forums

Experiences Showing Self-Reliance?

Guest juicyprunes

Guest juicyprunes

Hi there,

I'm filling out my Non-Academic Experiences section and am quite confused and frustrated with the "Experiences Showing Self-Reliance" section in which I have to demonstrate "independence, decision-making, maturity, facing adversity" through activities. Though I consider myself to be quite mature, indepedent, etc., the forces that have caused me to be so are quite personal (e.g. poor childhood, unstable home life, moving frequently, etc.). Does anyone have any advice about how I can translate these experiences on to paper?

Thanks a lot!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

You've described some personal forces, e.g., moving frequently, poor childhood, etc., and it might help to think about what actions or experiences were precipitated by those forces. For example, did you end up paying for your own tuition; hold a job down while in school...? In short, try to make the tie between how those forces created the characteristics of maturity and independence which you feel you have.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest juicyprunes

Hey Kirsteen,

Thanks for answering my questions once again...:\

I did indeed have to work jobs during the school year and two jobs during the summers...but, I've already put them down under the "Employment History" and "Other" (as many of my jobs were research/lab-related).

Guest scrubbed

As the employment history and the activities section are separate sections of the application, you could put your jobs in the latter section as well, emphasizing that you had to support yourself while going to school and during the summer.

Good luck with the application;)

Archived