Premed 101 Forums

for UBC biochemesr: to take chem 304/305 or not in 3rd year?

Guest smooth operater

Guest smooth operater

hey guys! I just registered my courses for biochemistry major this early morning.

I will be taking..

BIOC 301

BIOC 303

BIOL 334

BIOL 335

CHEM 333

CHEM 313

CHEM 304

CHEM 305

As you can see, I am loaded with hardcore science courses. Is it wise to leave chem 304/305 to 4th year and take couple ez electives to keep me in sane?

Do most major students take chem 304/305 during 3rd year since 4th year's biochem courses are time consuming and hard?

Also, what was the class average for BIOL 334 last year?

Thanks guys!

Guest TKP 123

most biochem students take chem 304/305 in 3rd year. However, there are some who take them in the 4th year.

Several yrs ago, I took the same 3rd year courses as you did, and I can tell you that it is really a heavy load timetable. In fact, 3rd year is the most demanding year due to the number of labs.

If you can survive that, 4th year will be much easier, as 4th year biochem courses do not have lab (Except bioc 420, 421, 449).

It is up to you whether you want to balance the workload

between the 2 years, or to have an easier year before graduation. The advantage of leaving some room in your final year is that you can then do a directed studies with a prof.

Guest physiology

Hello Smoothoperator,

Sometimes, you just have to let the cards fall as they are. I really respect that you are trying to meticulously plan out your future to ensure the good GPA, a balanced lifestyle and all, but always, there are things beyond your control. I guess my point is, you can't always control how "difficult" or how "easy" life will be, in terms of a a course workload.

Averages for a certain class don't really mean anything. They may give an indication of how "hard" the class is for that particular semester and professor, but professors and their style of tests change from year to year, so it's never an accurate depiction.

Anyway, just a thought I guess.

Physio

Guest kupo

heh,

personally, i wouldnt care for the class average because im not aiming for it. thats the way i look at courses. work hard the right way (whatever that is - its different for everyone) and you should be rewarded. i dunno about you, but even though getting 100% in the courses is extremely unlikely, i'm always aiming for it. why not? nothing wrong with aiming high as long as you are not overly depressed with an 85% result. and for the most part, i've never really cared about the difficulty of the courses either. for many, they were program requirements, so i had no choice.

oh yeah, i agree with physiology. you have to play with the cards given to you. im too impressed with your meticulousness, but there comes a time where you just need to put faith in your decisions.

it's kinda like preparing for med school interviews, you can break down every scenario and every permutation of questioning, but in the end, it comes down to faith and confidence you have in yourself when you actually do the real interview.

Kupo

Guest smooth operater

thanks lo, I just just talked to the biochem advisor. He told me most major students take chem 304/305 in 4th yr.

I am planning to STAT 200 as one of my elective. Do you think it will help my understanding of other courses? THANKS!

Guest mitchie41

STAT 200 is easy and it's used in everything(Psych, Epidemiology, Math, Labs\Experiments, Journal articles). Even some medical schools recommend their students take a class in statistics. But it was REALLY BORING. It's definately a challenge to keep yourself from dozing-off in that class.

When I took it(2 years ago), the class avg for our section was 85, and the other section was 91.

Guest adduction

When I took STAT 200 two yrs ago (mitchie's right - it was hardly the most interesting class), I had Isabella Ghement. She's not a prof, she was a PhD student from what I remember but she was really really good...the course itself was dry but she did a good job of making it clear cut and easy (her exams were very very easy - I got above a 95 in this course).

I wonder if she's still teaching - if she is i'd recommend her.

Guest mitchie41

Hey...

The two profs when I took it were Rogemar Mamon and Isabella Ghement.

Dr. Mamon is no longer at UBC and Isabella was the TA for my Math 302 class, so I dunno if she's teaching anymore(But she did teach stat 200 last summer).

I'd recommend taking stat 200 with Lang Wu, the undergrad stat advisor. A lot of my friends really liked him and I think he always teaches a section of stat 200.

Guest smooth operater

yeah, i am registered in Wu's section. Now you mentioned many students liked him, I guess I will stick with this guy. Thanks for helping out!

Archived