Premed 101 Forums

Buying Condo's

Guest smalltownchic

Guest smalltownchic

Hi Gang,

I have heard that many of the NMP and IMP students have purchased condos instead of renting. I was talking to my bank guy and he said I would need to have at least 25% down, with no debts before the bank would even think about giving me a mortgage. I have a good credit rating but the bank guy said that since I will have no income coming in after September CMHC would not approve the mortgage. So how did the IMP and NMP students manage to buy? Anyone know?

Guest tiaga3

Hi

If you want to buy a house or condo in Prince George you can go into it with as little as 5% down. In PG you can buy a place for around 99,000 that you could share and rent out another room to help on the mortgage. If you have a bit more money to spend it would be wise to buy a place with a basement suite that goes for around 129,900 and then you could either live and rent out the basement or vise versa. Basically if you have a renter you can expect to pay about 500 a month in rent to cover your mortgage. In a smaller place about 99,000 with 5-10% down you would be paying about 600 a month including taxes and such. Good luck! If you are moving to PG I know an awsome realtor who is just about the hardest working woman I know. Let me know!

Tiaga

Guest smalltownchic

Hi Tiaga,

Thanks for your response. Yes I am moving to PG, and I have found a condo that I am interested in. But how did you get your mortgage if you don’t have a job?

Guest MekoMints

I am also moving to PG.

Not sure whether I should rent or putting a min. down for a condo. Mostly I am worried about the hassels of finding tenants etc. Also not sure whether a vehicle in PG is absolutely essential (having doubts about my winter driving skills).

Thanks for your inputs!

Archived