Premed 101 Forums

PHYL 301 for someone who is not strong in biology?

Guest smooth operater

Guest smooth operater

I am entering third year and would like to take PHYL 301. But biology has been one of my weaker subjects for the past 2 years. I only received my first A in bio 201 last year. I got B's and B-'s in my other biology courses.

Is 301 one of hardcore biology-related course offered in UBC? Do you think it's possible for someone who has been weak in biology to do well in this course among older students (grad, 4th year)?

Guest TKP 123

I think you should go for it.

It is taught in a pretty good way. The only thing is you have to work hard on it.

It is not a tricky course also. Some memorization, but it makes sense.

TKP

Guest Koomi

For what it's worth (I'm a Phyl major ;) ) I think Phyl 301 is an awesome course. It's not at all like 1st and 2nd year bio courses since it relates more to human bodies on the macro level.

The exams are all M/C and I know lots of people who did really well in that class. Of course, it's not easy but if you're planning to study medicine, you'll find this course very interesting and helpful later on.

Many of the lecturers also lecture for UBC Med, so thatz another perk!

I'd strongly recommend this course for anyone interested in pursuing medicine.

Guest Asskar

Two pieces of advice 1) Keep up with the course, it’s not difficult material but there is lots of it. 2) Do as many old exams as possible! Every time you finish a section go through the exams and do all the questions from that section, do this as you go through the course not just when studying for the exam. The course is not tricky, keep up and you’ll do fine.

Guest TKP 123

I don't think Physiology 301 is similar to Organics.

For the physiology final exam, you got multiple choice questions. However each question usually tests your knowledge from one topic (e.g. kidney) covered in the whole term. I call these discrete questions, as you can identify where in the curriculum the question is asking you.

On the other hand, for the organic chemistry, the final exam usually integrates everything throughout the term. Some question requires that you know the basics of the organic chem before you can answer the advanced questions. Furthermore, there are sometimes questions that you don't know how to answer because you don't know where in the curriculum the question is trying to test you. Once you figure out which topic it tests you, it becomes easy and you can answer quickly. Of course, this is not obvious.

So, I do think that Organic Chem is in general more difficult than Physiology (particularly in my old days Organic Chem has the lab section, may be it still does).

Physiology Exams can be purchased from BPP (Biochem, Pharmacology, Physiology Club) before the Exam Period.

TKP

Archived