Premed 101 Forums

Balancing EC and Academic

Guest tmacgirl

Guest tmacgirl

I love to do ECs and took part in lots of things in my highschool career. I'm scared that I won't find a balance with EC's and school next year in University. So I'm just wondering how did everyone manage to balance EC and academics

(and work!)?

Guest DancingDoc

Personally, I find I'm more efficient when I have ECs on the go. It makes you schedule things, which in turns means you're less likely to put things off. That's just me though.

Guest Jochi1543

I just picked ECs that weren't super-taxing intellectually, so that my brain could actually take a rest there - I taught English to immigrants, worked for hurricane Katrina relief, for several political campaigns, and volunteered as a patient educator at a community clinic for 3 years, among other things. I also worked 10-15 hours a week, and was nonetheless able to find time to cook for myself, commute for an hour daily, and go to the gym several times a week. I think if you enjoy what you are doing, managing your time won't be a problem.

Guest treehuggingbiologist
It makes you schedule things, which in turns means you're less likely to put things off.

Big fat word to that.

Guest sunE

I would try to do some EC stuff where you can incorporate doing your homework as well. For example, I volunteered at a community program for kids where they come into school gymnasiums and could play, while I'm supposed to supervise. Basically I just took my school work there with me.

2 birds with 1 stone....(what a stupid saying...why are people killing birds with stones anyways)...

And I agree with what was said earlier. The more things you have packed into the week, the more precise your timing gets and the more motivated you are to get them all done. Because in the back of your mind, you know that if you don't do those things, you are screwed, lol.

Archived