Premed 101 Forums

What do you think?

Guest NACHO174

Guest NACHO174

Found this online: :D

A 23-year-old Navajo man has injured his leg after a fall. He presents to the emergency room of the reservation hospital where he is complaining of pain. His leg appears to be broken. The man requests that you call a medicine man before doing anything further.

- You are a physician! Should you find a medicine man? Or should you proceed with treatment?

Guest NurseNathalie

He requests the medicine man.. then I call the medicine man.

:D

The injury is not life threatening... if he was in jeopardy of losing the limb by waiting for the medicine man, I would tell him that so he can be well informed - (you need his consent to treat anyways)...

I would let him know what can happen if he waits for treatment vs get the treatment now... I would also offer him pain meds until the medicine man came (which he may not accept- but at least its offered to keep him more comfortable)... and then would wait and continue assessing to ensure the condition isnt suddenly changing though...

the doc and medicine man can both help this patient - and if i'm the doc working on that reserve- then I would have the medicine man's phone number in my back pocket anyways :)

Guest popcorn girl

arent we supposed to be wanting to go to medical school to learn how to answer these things, do they really quiz about all this in the interview? really it seems quite unreasonable to be expected to know these things to me (what if a person has a pure science/arts background??)

docormama did you get an interview? you have been silent since yesterday

Guest NACHO174

Popcorn !

The question is designed for you to think...look for the meat of the issue (be it ethical or otherwise), its not about medicine and things you are taught at medical school...these types of questions are there to see if you in fact have a brain and can think past what you dont know.

And yes, you will get them in the interview (i know this from experience)...start some bioethical research. I have a ton of stuff if you want it.

Nacho,

Guest NurseNathalie

for sure! the point, is to see how you work through things and how you justify your choices. My answer to this scenario, is based on my values and opinions only- its not right or wrong... its just how I would handle it... and its not something that I 'learned' at Mac... well, at least, not yet! ;)

I just couldn't resist because I love working through problems, but as far as an interview question goes: ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!

could be something as obscure as:

You are shopping at a large x-brand grocery store. The cashier seems to be new, and is having a lot of trouble with your purchases. She puts the bread and a litre of orange juice in the same bag (so you know it will be squished when you go home), she damages many cans by dropping them and is not very gentle with your purchases. There is a large line of ppl behind you who are loudly voicing their discontent, so she quicky and very rudely hands you the due change back. She then starts serving the next patron.

... when you look down, you notice she gave you $10 MORE in change than she should have. You also notice at first glance she overcharged you on several items. How do you handle the situation?

:P

Guest popcorn girl

if i havent already stopped this fiasco from continuing, then go to the manager?

so they are problem solving on a general level?

nacho, you have been through this before then? what didnt go right the first time?-you appear quite doctorly to me! anything you can suggest as succint reading for this ethics stuff?

NURSEN are you a nurse?

where are you getting these questions/scenarios from?

thankyou, pcg

Guest docormama

Popcorngirl,

I don't know either way yet! I got one last year, but I was away in Cameroon and my mom called me when the letter came in the mail. I didn't get an e-mail either last year, so I figure I will just have to wait until the letter comes.....Thanks for asking though. I will let everyone know either way.

As for the scenario, I would call the medicine man and try and involve him. It would increase the patient's comfort level, give holistic treatment, etc...We did the exact situation in my nursing ethics class a few years back.

Guest fingerscrossed06

As a reply to the grocery store question:

This is just me, but everytime that I have come upon recieving more money back or someone forgetting to charge something on my bill, I have given the money back or said something. Just recently I was at a restaurant and they forgot to charge me for my drink so I told my waitress as I was paying the bill. She ended up saying not to worry about it, so I took some money that I saved on the drink and gave her a bigger tip. For me, keeping the money would make me feel more guilty than it was worth.

So again, in this situation I would have to say that I would tell the cashier she gave me too much money back and hand her the 10 dollars. I know she was rude to me and not the greatest at her job or the most courteous, however, sometimes being polite and warm to someone who is rude shows that you are a bigger person (and you avoid an argument). Being nice to her after she was rude to you would probably make a bigger impact (almost a better rebuttal) than arguing or putting her down (then she would get her defenses up).

As for being overcharged on the bill. After I returned the money I would calmly and politely show her where she overcharged me. I would also tell her that I realized she was very busy already and, if she preferred, I could go settle the bill at the customer service desk (of course she won't take this option).

Should she continue to be rude to me, or if I was still very upset with her prior behaviour toward me, I would consider writing a comment card or speaking to the manager. I think that I would probably not be that bothered though and I'm sure that if she continued her behaviour someone that was more bothered (like those people making comments in line) will approach a manager. I don't have one of those "let someone else do it" attitudes, its just that sometimes you just have to pick your battles, and I think I'd rather laugh this one off.

Guest popcorn girl

so then its how nice you are too? a new twist in medicine.

i actually misread the $10 more, not a good sign, i always read too fast.

You are all so experienced at all this, the process, interviewing etc. i wonder how one gets in the first time:

Guest NurseNathalie

Great answer!!! :P

its not about being nice.. or not nice but about HOW you would handle the situation (although if you said that you would scream obsenities at the girl for her incompetence, start a riot with the other patrons and reached in the cash register for an additional 20 bucks 'for your pain and suffering'..- the interviewers may raise an eyebrow or two and then run from the room! lol)

1) the question was actually ANSWERED (seems silly, but you would be amazed how many times this is not happening!). Shows you read the question, and thought about it!

2) the answer was clear, concise and well articulated. -shows communication skills!

3) it talked about more than one dimension of the problem: I would handle it this way AND THE REASON.. "but also.. x y and z" - you addressed the issue of getting too much money back and what you would do. You addressed the issue of the poor service and how you would handle that and why.. and you addressed the issue of the overcharged items and HOW you would do this ! - speaks to your judgement, personality traits, and problem-solving skills... and your logical thinking process of picking out issues in a given problem..

and BONUS :

you directly related it to a past event to back up your points!!! ('when that has happened to me.. blah blah blah')

this is what an interview answer is all about!

honestly, one of the BEST WAYs TO PREPARE for an MMI- whether its your first time doing it or not- is to practice talking about scenarios like this with ppl.

get your friends, family, co-workers, etc.. to ask you random questions like this. practice answering them. then, have THEM answer it... to see if there are aspect that maybe you didnt think about. ask them to give you feedback on your answer. "How did my answer come across? this is what I wanted to say, is that what you heard? what was your overall impression of me for that answer"

ps: to answer your previous questions popcorn, I just made that store scenario on the spot (can't you tell ? lol) but it was to show you that it can be anything... even if you arent sure- or its a totally obscure question, you will still have an opinion! practice giving it WITH confidence!

and, I'm still technically a nurse- but I'm presently in the Class of 2008 (I like saying that! lol) at McMaster. I interviewed at NOSM last year and got in.. but chose mac because it was shorter.

sample ethics scenarios can be found at:

eduserv.hscer.washington....s/toc.html

BUT don't worry if you don't know the answers! the nice thing about ethics, is there's no right or wrong answer. and they WANT to give you a question that you wont know the answer to- because then it doesnt just test your recall of info but truly HOW you think and work logically through a problem.

best thing to do, get the paper out every day.. or once a week and look at what's going on in your town or around the country. If there is a controversy, or something happening talk about THAT with ppl in your community (on the bus, your priest.. your teachers.. etc) ... that is great practice- especially giving your opinion to someone you don't really know that well !

Guest priapismsarebad

Just remember...

There are good answers and great answers. Choosing the right one is only half the battle. The interviewers won't necessarily be impressed with which one you choose, but rather what you do with it.

Be confident but not brash!

Nurse Nathalie, have mac brainwashed you with FIFE yet?

Cheers

Guest priapismsarebad

Patient centered model.

Feelings about sickness

Ideas about what is going on

Function (how affected)

Expectations from healthcare team.

Questions you incorporate into the interview... do you use something similar?

Guest fingerscrossed06

Hey Nathalie,

Thanks for breaking it all down, and assessing what should be in an answer. I like these questions you guys are putting up, it helps alot to think about them. This is my first time through so I have no MMI interview experience.

Another thing I think is going to turn out to be helpful for the rest of you preparing is setting up mock interviews at your school (if you still are in school that is). I went to our career centre and set up an appointment and am supposed to go in a few days earlier with my autobiographical sketch and some sample questions so they can make up a mock interview for me. I think it will help since these people are strangers. Hey its free help! Mom and dad, friends, roommates, and classmates sure help, but I think it will be great practice with someone you don't know. I have yet to just go up to someone randomly on the bus like Nathalie suggested though :P

Guest priapismsarebad

for the 2 weeks preceding the interview I would answer questions aloud out of the blue each time I thought of a question.

Setting up mock interviews are a GREAT idea!

Oh ya... and read the newspaper. Show that you're current with current health news/health policy.

Guest NurseNathalie

p.a.b., thats funny!

I can imagine standing in line somewhere and having some strange person behind me start mumbling something about why its a bad thing to euthanise someone in a coma :rollin

ooo-kay! I'm going to go stand over there now!

just kidding btw! ;)

thanks for the FIFE explanation.. makes a lot of sense now that you say it. The approach we use also encorporates similar concepts, but we have the 'OPQRSTUV and AAA' approach... well..thats to assess the HPI anyways...

- as for the mock MMI interviews, if you are in the Sudbury area I beleive Matt is going to set up something... I know there will also be a practice in Toronto somewhere to prepare for Mac's MMI.. maybe you can go to that if you are down south.

Guest NurseNathalie

we use U of T's 'essentials of Clinical examination handbook'... which is really great !

A- Aggravating Factors

A-Alleviating Factors

A- Associated Symtoms

* these can be part of your OPQ... depending on what clinical instructor/tutor you have! of course, they all have different expectations of the 'how to'.. but you smile and do it, then later you find your own best 'how to' ;)

Guest NACHO174

Hi popcorn G!

Yes, I have interviewed before at NOSM. As for what went wrong, i could give you a list the length of my arm (Insert: sighing), however Dr Konkin gave me two very specific critiques post interview. In the end i have learned so much from last year...i have been working quite hard to work on the two things she spoke to me about. Coming up with the "correct" answer was not the problem...it was the delivery! Sorta like when you order a great pizza but it arrives upside down in the pizza box...still a good pizza but not as good as it could be! hahahaha its all in the delivery!...

As far as bioethics go, nurse natalie posted a link below, its a great website and a major source of my studies and the questions i post here...however the link is down quite often, i dont mind sending you my stuff if you want it. Let me know.

Nacho,

Guest priapismsarebad

Hi Nat,

Thanks for the 3 A's. We use a mishmosh of resources for clinical skills... kinda chose what you like. Most is based on Bate's and then the Toronto videos.

Nacho, I love the analogy.

Guest medsplease

hey Nurse Nathalie,

The link you directed us to doesn't seem to be working. Do you have any other suggestions as to how we could obtain access to this site or the questions?

Thanks!

Guest NurseNathalie

medsplease,

thanks for letting me know the link wasn't working!

that's really too bad! I've been trying to link to the site unsuccessfully (even from an online search). Seems like the website is down! you can try again if you wish (in case it's my computer!) : eduserv.hscer.washington.edu/bioethics/topics/index.html

another site I found that can be useful (although not as good as the first) is: www.bioethics.net/topics.php

and a list of bioethics Associations (you may find some material on here worth reading):

bioethics.net/resources/i...ges&cat=12

disclamer: its okay to want to read sample ethics scenario, but don't go overboard or you will only confuse yourselves and get frustrated! seriously, for most questions there is NO way to prepare...

Archived