Premed 101 Forums

How does Memorial Admissions Work?

Guest sneakydog

Guest sneakydog

I saw this topic in the Ottawa section and it seems to be full of useful information for that section. I have been reading MUNs site and althought they have provided alot of information it seems a bit vague on the whole admissions section process and competition. I spoke with someone there who said that they produce a cut off every year (which is not published) and sort the initial applications for interview based on that cut off ( it was 9s on MCAT and 4.0/4.0 GPA at the time). anyone not from NF who did not meet this criteria was eliminated from the competition. All NF residents who apply, regardless if they meet the cut off criteria get their applications read for content and may still get asked for an interview. They then call people for interviews. I do not know much else from there. I am wondering if anyone who knows anything about MUNMed could they please shed some light on this. Maybe tell us if this is right, partly true or wrong. Everyone i speak to about MUNMed tells me a different story on the selection process. What type of stuff are they looking for, research, volunteer etc.

thanks

SD

Guest clinicalchief

This is what I have been told by an adcom member at Memorial. As you said, every year after reviewing applications, they produce a cuttoff (by academic average, not gpa). Anyone who meets this average automatically gets an interview (provided they have the pre-reqs) and anyone who doesn't does not. However, Nf applicants who do not meet the cuttoff will be fully reviewed anyway and possibly be granted an interview based on other criteria. I don't know anyone who has been accepted from out of province, so I'm not sure what kind of criteria they look for from such applicants. From what I have been told though, I don't think they are big on research. They like good Ec's, volunteer work, life experience etc. and people who are interested in practicing rural medicine especially (since we have a shortage here). I have also heard of people getting accepted with very low mcat scores (21-23), but, again, that is just something I've been told. Maybe somebody else could add to this discussion. Hope this helps.

Guest sneakydog

thats great CC. I have also heard of people getting in with low MCATS too but 22 is a wee bit low dont you think. I have also heard of people getting in with below 80% avg too. Alot of weight must be put on life experience. that is a refreshing thought that MUN is looking at doctors as people and not as academic robots. Well rounded is the word i think i am looking for. It would be nice if MUN would list more information on their site as to what they like to hear on apps. They say they only have about 750 apps a year. Anyone else have any insight on this topic?

Guest MUNMED2006

Although, I'm in first year of medical school at MUN, I really couldn't tell you how they make the cuts. Nobody really knows for sure. All I can say, from my experience, is that they seem to accept the well-rounded people who have interesting backgrounds, good personalities and good marks. There are many very accomplished people in my class. However, you don't need to save the world, make 15's on your MCAT and have a perfect GPA to get into this school. I can only speak for myself, but I'm just a regular person who received decent marks in undergrad, was involved in my community and I am very interested in having a career that allows me to be a part of many different individual's lives. I hope it helps a bit! All I can say is that MUN is a wonderful school and they just want you to be yourself.

Guest sneakydog

Hey all,

this thread seems to have gone cold all of a sudden. Does this mean that everyone knows all there is to know or is satisfied with their knowledge of MUN admissions. Interviews are starting soon does anyone have any information about how they happen and past experiences? Did anyone have an unsuccessful interview and would like to give some pointers on what not to do? What about mainland canadians or americans who have applied to MUN? This could be a very important thread to people waiting for word from MUN.

SD

• 2 months later...
Guest DonaldKaufman

Is it true that Memorial requires 2 full-year English courses as a prerequisite for applying? Does they mean two courses in which the english language is used for communication, or two courses from the English department of your university?

yes..they do require enlgish courses...ie..from the English department...but it is only one full year, or two half year courses...humanities (essay courses) or social sciences do not count...there are no exceptions...

last year, when waitlisted, I had not completed one of my english, and had to take it in the spring session in case I got the call during the summer...

cheers

Guest DonaldKaufman

Thanks for the help NBer....that is good news - I thought I had read somewhere that it was 2 full years of english. If I don't get accepted to any of the schools I've applied to this year, I will likely apply to Memorial next year too. I definitely didn't want to go back to school and take another english course though.

• 6 months later...
Guest frankie

Does MUN look at all courses, or just those taken in the last two or three years? I had a really bad start to unversity nine years ago. I've recovered since then, but my GPA never will completely. Therefore, I'm only applying to schools that look at the best / most recent two or three years.

Thanks for your help,

Frankie

Guest sneakydog

Sorry dude, but MUN looks at all years you attended post-secondary school. the admissions page says that MUNMed does not empahsize any year over another. this may or may not be true. I know that they look for improvements in an applicant, grades, MCAT over time. A lot of people have low GPAs based on poor academics from early in their academic careers. It is near impossible to bring a down-and-out GPA back to life. it would be almost easier to just go to another school and start a new degree. however, i do not recomend this. Also, MUNMed looks at your average and not your GPA. they will most likely look at your transcript as a whole too so that will help you if your later year grades are better than earlier ones.

The fact that MUNMed does look at your entire transcript does not have to be a bad thing. Take a school like Western that looks only at your 2 best years. it is much easier to get high marks in 2 years than to sustain that for 4 or 5 years. this means you are on a level playing field at MUN compared to competing with everyones best 2 years (ones where they took intro pottery as an elective). so apply to MUNMed if you like the school and if you meet the minimum requirements and see if they like you.

SD

Archived