Premed 101 Forums

Masters or yr off? advice needed!

Guest Dare2B

Guest Dare2B

Hey guys!

I am in a bit of pickle right now. I've just completed 4 yrs of undergrad at UT in sciences and didn't get into meds this year. I've been accepted to masters programs at UT but i can't decide if i should go for it.

Should i : Apply to med this year, and take a year off working to pay off my OSAP etc... OR should i do my masters and apply after 2 yrs.

some #S:

GPA: 3.7ish

MCAT: 9V, 10, 10 Q (rewriting it this yr)

E.Cs: lots...

Publications: 3 (none of wh/are first author)

any help would B MUCH appreciated. I want to be a doc more than anything and right now i don't know how to get there... confused.

Guest cedar05

I think you need to do what you would enjoy more. A masters would be helpful, if that is what you want to do, but it will not necessarily make or break you form getting in. So if you would rather take a year off or work for the yr do this instead. I was in the same boat as you last year and decided to work for the yr and just found out yesterday that I have been accepted so it couldn't have hurt me too much to work insted of a masters. Bottom line, do what you would rather do for the next yr or two.

Guest try2dstress

I agree with the above poster - do what you want. Your stats seem reasonable (did you meet the GPA cutoffs for Queen's and Western?), and if you bring up your MCAT I'd say you have a good shot. Take it from me - a Master's is only fun if you enjoy it. If you're doing it to get you somewhere else you won't get as much out of it.

Guest qootan

One more thing is that a masters would take at least 2 years, while you could work for one year and get into med the next. I decided to take a year off after graduation before applying, and now I am in! So all turned out for the best. I recommend going on working holiday for one year if you can. I've been in Japan since last summer and it's been a blast!

Archived