Premed 101 Forums

Verbal Reasoning

Guest sally2001

Guest sally2001

i'm currently studying for the april mcat and i just finished the vr practice section of the aamc practice test 1. i correctly answered 54 out of the 65 questions. i was feeling pretty good about my result until i checked the %ile conversion and i was shocked to see that it was equivalent to a 46-54%ile range! i am a very quick reader and i finished the section about 25 mins ahead of time and immediately zipped to the answer key. the %age correct was about 83% but the %ile was so low! is this why the vr section is typically the most difficult to score high on? i guess i should just slow down and be more careful... :\

Guest peachy

the early aamc tests aren't good indicators of how well you need to do, though they're worth doing for the questions themselves. the latest three or so aamc tests are MUCH better.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there sally2001,

I don't often hear of folks finishing the VR section and doing well with 25 minutes to go! ;) If, however, you're one of those who can pull it off, and pull it off well, then next time you might want to try double-checking some of your answers--really scour those passages to make sure that you've caught all the details.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest aneliz

The VR section lays down some rather sneaky questions with absolutely spectacular 'distractor' wrong answers as options. In my opinion, you should slow down a bit to appreciate some of the subtleties....from when I taught a Kaplan test prep course, it seems that the people that rush through VR tend to fall in every trap that is laid out for them. The early AAMC tests are MUCH easier then the real thing. They are also much more unforgiving in terms of answer scoring...miss three questions and you are down to a 10 if I remember correctly from one of them....not the case of AAMC V. Anyway, I guess none of them will likely be to representative of the 'new, improved' VR that will be debuting with the April MCAT....

Guest sally2001

hey everyone,

thanks for your feedback; i believe you're right. i was timing myself and i don't have a lot of patience for these things (i always want to find out how i'm doing asap) and i bet i was falling into a lot of traps along the way. many of my "wrong" answers were in the "difficult" question category. i've always worried about running out of time, so i managed to fall into the opposite trap - finish well ahead of time but get many of the answers wrong ... :\

• 3 weeks later...

just a word of caution... don't be fooled by verbal practice tests, even recent ones put out by the mcat company. when i did the practice tests (i did TONS... princeton, kaplan, ones i bought from the aamc or whatever it's called) i was scoring an 11 or 12 consistently and always had about ten minutes left over. when i actually wrote the mcat, it was MUCH harder than any test i had seen and took WAY longer than any practice test. the first time i wrote the MCAT i ran out of time and had to guess on 15+ questions without reading the passage. make sure you really time yourself during the test (about 9 minutes per question). good luck

Archived