Premed 101 Forums

statistics of successful med school applicants?

Guest kylerh

Guest kylerh

Does anybody know any previous forums or websites that list individual med school applicants statistics. Your input would be great!

kylerh

Guest scooter

Hey,

Also, I don't know if all schools do it, but Dal does... they post a "who got in last year" stats. Ie age mcat gpa blood type :hat :D So if you check each of the schools they might have something to give you an idea. though obviously there isn't a X number of hospital volunteer Y research.... check the individual forums for each school- their first thread has that info for accepted (and some rejected and waitlisted also post their stats).

Cheers

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

If you search through the archives (from a couple of years ago) you'll find some threads that include posts of the statistics of newly-accepted applicants to UofT, at least.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 2 weeks later...
Guest treadmill

I just checked out the site mdapplicants.com and now I'm really scared... Almost all of those who get accepted had marks around 3.90+ and a lot of them were almost touching 4.00.

I guess I had better work harder...

Guest 0T6

MDApplicants is a useful site to get an idea of what people have, but it also does a great job of freakin people out. It's not a representative sample of people who get in, 2 reasons that come to mind are

a) People with higher stats are likely more comfortable publicizing them

B) People who know about the site (just like people who know about this site) are likely more keen on getting into meds than people who don't and that might translate into higher stats. Might. :)

Guest Maelswarm

They use their GPAs as a pickup line.

"Man my marks were too high this year so I didn't get an interview at Mac".

Guest siobhansiobhan

that would be one hell of a gpa, given that Mac has the highest entering average in all of canada right now.

Guest kylerh

Some schools have only 2 or 3 people that entered there marks(that have been accepted.) If you're looking at the overall averages of the various groups( accepted, rejected pre interview) you will not receive realistic info.

I am confusing, I know, so here is an example

If 2 people write in to say they both got accepted to Mac with a 4.0 GPA and 38R MCAT this would be much higher than say 15 people writing in. Lower scores bring down the averages.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived