Premed 101 Forums

MCAT cutoff

Guest rubberoduck

Guest rubberoduck

I wrote my MCAT in april this year, and plan to apply for med school in Ontario this september.

Problem is, I got a 9 in VR, which meets last year's cutoff at UT and Queens. I know the cutoff will fluctuate with the applicant pool, and I'm not getting my hopes up because this is expected to be the most competitive year ever, which the double cohort applying along with the graduating year before us. I'm thinking about taking the August MCAT, but am not sure how the schools handle second writings. Do they take your best scores out of each section? or the best test? or the most recent test? I urgently need to know this. The deadline for registering is next friday. It would really help if someone can provide some information.

(I would prefer to submit my best scores in each section, but I don't see how likely that will be since it would most likely be unfair to those students who write the test just once)

Guest scrubbed
Do they take your best scores out of each section? or the best test? or the most recent test?

As for U of T, from the U of T FAQ section

The MCAT is currently held in April and August. Only MCAT written within five years of the application deadline of October 1 will be considered. All scores must be released to OMSAS each application cycle. Only the most recent MCAT score will be considered in the application process.

If someone doesn't tell you before then, contact Queen's admissions--the info isn't on the website.

Guest iceapatel

I've never heard of any med school allowing you to submit individual MCAT section scores from different years. Nor have I heard of any school taking your best MCAT total score. As far as I know, all Canadian med schools will look at your most recent MCAT score, as long as it is within 3? 4? 5? years (exact time range may differ by school, not sure).

So basically... if your *most recent* MCAT score isn't good enough (or is borderline) for the med schools you want to get into, then it might be a good idea to re-write (assuming you think you can do better). You can always phone up any particular schools you are interested in and ask them about their policies and/or advice regarding your situation...

Archived